Home Main Category Personal Defense

Question P95 Ruger

104RFAST104RFAST Senior MemberPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
I have been using my P95 as my car gun for the past 7 years, (fortunately I live in Florida)
& I have always used standard SD JHP ammo. I have purchased some of the +P 9MM
SD ammo and just wondering if its is necessary to upgrade the the recoil springs ( assuming
there are after market springs ) Over the years I have put less than 150 rounds through
it so I don't think the spring is worn out, I just want to be sure I don't damage the gun
Thanks in advance!! Bill

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    If you have only put 150 rounds through it in 7 years........I would not worry about the stock springs holding up.........just shoot enough to make sure it functions properly.......and save the rest for serious work..........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Rugers, any Rugers, are built like tanks and would have minimal concerns with +P ammo use.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    You can check out Wolff Springs.......they have a pretty good selection of springs in various weights....just a thought

Mike A
  • Troll Em' UpTroll Em' Up New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    That got me thinking. I've run about 1200 or so rounds of standard and HP Defense (no +P stuff) ammo through my Kimber .45 over the past couple of years. I've still never had a glitch but when should I be considering any spring or parts replacement?? Is there a magic number or will a "pro" need to take a look at the gun to check for wear?
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I've heard ~5K rounds as a general rule for spring replacement. Rugers are overbuilt, and you're definitely not going to hurt it with some +P ammo.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • RugermanRugerman New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a P95 stainless. Built like a tank, eats anything I feed it. Great gun!
    Skin that SmokeWagon and see what happens
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Like was said above, the Ruger P series is built like a tank. One came into the shop a while back that had been in a house fire. The grips and some of the smaller springs melted, and the frame around the mag well also broke off. After all that, a few new springs and new grips, it shot like the day it was brand new.
    One thing to keep in mind with replacement springs, if you change for a certain load, you might get failures if you go back to a weaker load. Unless you plan on shooting a steady diet of hot loads, I wouldn't change em if it were me. Now if you plan on shooting several hundred a week, and never shoot any light stuff, that might be a different story.
    You got a work horse, changing stuff like springs out will turn it into a high maintnence blonde....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    My P95 is a bit strange. won't shoot any of the Remington green box without stove piping, but will eat everything else. I've never had any problem with +p ammo in mine.