Home Main Category General Firearms

Looking to get some credentials under my belt, NRA and Glock Armorer... How?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,970 Senior Member
Hey guys I'm looking at becoming an NRA Rifle, Pistol and possibly shotgun instructor. I was an apprentice pistol instructor back in the day but it expired (didn't use it at NMMI).

Reason I'm doing this is because I took a friend to the range today, and was able to spot and begin to cure the horrible flinch he had shooting his Glock 21. By the end of the day I got his groups to shrink to half the size they were when we started. I miss teaching people how to shoot, and honestly I feel like I'm pretty good at it. I'm not looking at making a living off of it, more just to pad my resume and build my credibility for when I do instruct/teach. Plus, I'm thinking of working at a gun shop between the time I graduate Texas A&M and go to Fort Rucker, so I figure the more certifications I hold the better.

I am particularly interested in the following certifications: NRA Instructor Rifle, NRA Instructor Pistol, Glock Armorer (I am military so I qualify, might join GSSF anyway). I would like to, at some point, take a S&W Revolver course and 1911 Armorer's course as well.

I'm also considering some other certifications in the future, such as Texas CHL Instructor.

Is there any other certifications I should be looking at? Again, I'm not looking at making this my lively hood, but I do want to do it. I know some people have issues with the NRA Course, but I feel that it could do a lot worse (I went through it about 8 years ago).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    As I recall, Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch is somewhere in Texas. I've had glowing reviews from at least one operator I respect that has trained there.

Armorer courses are frequently LE, military, and affiliates only. Some makers are flexible on the "affiliate" thing. If you know the local P.D.'s rangemaster or base armorer and he knows the instructor - that sort of thing. Glock has a few specific "ins", and 1911 courses aren't hard to find from various sources.

You're in the military now, so see what you can get out of them. You'll never get a chance to learn how to work on belt-feds and "heavies" on the civilian side. You'll also learn how to work on the more mundane stuff in a very established and structured inventory-control system, which will be HUGE if you ever decide to apply for that kind of work later on.

I'm one of the guys who has issues with the NRA's program, but I will grant that their instructor courses do a decent job of teaching you how to teach, and it's probably worth taking ONE of their instructor courses for that reason. If you like their program, and want to teach it, it DOES look good on the resume to a lot of folks. As I already had a couple of LE instructor courses under my belt, I have no intention of formally teaching outside that environment, and I wasn't crazy about their restrictions on what you can and cannot do with their cert, it wasn't for me. Individual results may vary. The good news is that it's cheap enough to find out whether or not it's your thing without a lot of pain.

I would caution you on the whole "pad your income" topic. Basically all the legal ramifications of having newbies play with guns under your tutelage with a financial transaction taking place. The insurance you might want to carry might negate the little you make.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    Thanks for the info Bigslug, I was hoping you'd chime in. I'm on the prowl for a local NRA Instructor's course, just so I can do it and say I did either way.

I'm really interested in the Glock course, since it's one of the three platforms that I use the most often. I think something like Thunder Ranch (in OK now I believe) or Magpul Dynamics will probably be out of the question for awhile considering what they cost, and I need to fund EMT school too. I will ask my unit about going to armorer's courses courtesy the Army, but since I'm a Commissioned Officer in a pretty specialized area (MEDEVAC/Aviation) I'm not getting my hopes up.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    TI will ask my unit about going to armorer's courses courtesy the Army, but since I'm a Commissioned Officer in a pretty specialized area (MEDEVAC/Aviation) I'm not getting my hopes up.

Oh yeah. . .that's right. As a lieutenant, your job is to draw fire while the non-lobotomized members of the unit actually get things done.:jester:

Best you can probably do is get a job "supervising" an understanding NCO. I wouldn't. Medicine and helicopters pay better.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Oh yeah. . .that's right. As a lieutenant, your job is to draw fire while the non-lobotomized members of the unit actually get things done.

Actually, I report in on the radio what the Warrant Officer and Medic are doing :driving:

But yes, I'm not leaving the job I've landed in the Army unless I'm forced to. I've been drawing helicopters since I was 5 and barely understood the concept of 3 dimensions, much less how flight worked. Now I get to play with real ones.
    Found a Glock Armorer's course in Fort Worth in December, $200 is pretty steep but it's the only one in TX I've found that isn't full or LE only...
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I was lucky when I took My NRA Instructor's course, it was taught by a Chief of the department of probation, and he was a very good Instructor, and taught lots of stuff not on the regular menu.
    You would be surprised how many times the rules can and will be bent as to what classes you can take, I took allot of FLEO courses that were not supposed to be open to Me, however since I was a range officer they made allowances.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996