Home Main Category General Firearms

Got to the woods today for some shooting, including a new acquisition.

bfunkbfunk MemberPosts: 113 Member
I took my brother up to the woods today for some shooting. We had 3 rifles, 3 shotguns and 3 handguns.

I brought my XDm 9mm, Browning Challenger III .22, Remington 870 12 gauge, Marlin model 60 .22 and my dads old Mossburg model 190 16 gauge bolt action shotgun, which has recently been left in my possession.

My brother brought his Ruger Mk. II .22, My dad's old JC Higgins bolt action .22 (seems to be a rebranded marlin), his Benelli Super Nova 12 gauge, and his Remington model 700 .270.

We shot some clay pigeons with all the shotguns. Both the Super Nova and the 870 are powder puffs compared to the Mossburg in 16 gauge. I couldn't believe the difference, the 16 gauge is pretty light and has a fairly short barrel, and boy does that gun punish your shoulder. We also did some 100 yard slug shooting with the Nova, that was eye opening, less drop than I expected, and really not that hard to hit a 2 foot square chunk of cardboard at about 115 yards with nothing more than the bead for sights.

We only had a handful of rounds left in us for the .270 after a LOT of pigeon shooting/long range slugs. This .270 is a light weight version, I don't really find it all that pleasant to shoot, but I got a few rounds on target.

We finished with some 115 yard .22 shooting, I did really well, my brother not so much. I need a new scope, something broke inside the cheapo simmons 3-9 I bought at Wally World 15 years ago, and either the target is focused or the cross hairs are, never both, not even close. I was able to get 6/10 inside a 3 inch shoot and see sticker anyway, so I felt good. Its new scope time for sure.

We also shot all of the pistols, including some 124 grain federals for the 9mm. I had never shot any 124 grainers, and I was pleasantly suprised at how well they shot compared to the 115 grainers I had been using. The pistol was also a fair bit smoother and the empty brass didnt shoot 15 yards away. They had a less sharp recoil which makes it easier on the hands.

All in all a great day shooting,

Brian

Replies