Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

New NASCAR Bud "Shootout"

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
The Daytona week "Budweiser Shootout[" is an elimination for the racers who do not yet have a position in the Daytona 500. It has been the "Shootout" from 2007 thru 2012. Now in 2013 it is suddenly the "Budweiser Unlimited"! The "talking heads" were calling it the "Budweiser Duel" but I guess "Duel" could involve guns and was eliminated. Is this some kind of coincidence. I doubt it. My cars color is what used to be called "Gunmetal". It is now "Titainium". The second amendment is being erroded by things like this a little bit at a time. Any shooting, anywhere is now national news. If some idiot shoots themself in the foot with a .22 it is OMG! International news. Ban assualt looking weapons, ban magazines excuse me "clips" over 2 rounds. Sorry just trying to make an example of Smile'n Joe Biden and his double shotgun fired in the air. ! Sorry for the rant but it is all so stupid!

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Agreed. Political correctness is killing us.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,440 Senior Member
    The Fundamental problem with you post is a mistaken knowledge of NASCAR.

1) qualifying for the Daytona 500 is complicated, but has included 2 qualifying races for years. Often, they are called the Twin 150s. If the have sponsorship, they give it the name the Budweiser Duel.

2) the Weekend before the D500, there has been a non-points race for years. For most of the years, Pole winners from the prior year qualified for it. It has had names like the Busch Clash and the Bud Shootout. But, this year's race was called the Sprint Unlimited because Sprint bought the naming rights. Budweiser dropped out because the weekly pole winner wins the "Coors Light Pole" award.

Bottom line: nothing has changed. If you watch the Truck race tonight, you might see the sweet Gunbroker.com truck in the race.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    I have been a NASCAR fan since the early 1960s. I have kind of lost touch in the last 3 or 4 years and appologize for not being current. I just remembered the Bud Shootout. I still watch NASCAR races on TV. I lived in the "People's Republic of California" in the mid 1970s and was able to attend quite a few NASCAR races at Riverside and I think one at Ontario Motor Speedway. The race cars were still recognisible as the ones you could buy at a dealership. I owned a streetable one in the early 1970s. I refuse to watch NASCAR "truck" races. They are not trucks!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,440 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    I have been a NASCAR fan since the early 1960s. I have kind of lost touch in the last 3 or 4 years and appologize for not being current. I just remembered the Bud Shootout. I still watch NASCAR races on TV. I lived in the "People's Republic of California" in the mid 1970s and was able to attend quite a few NASCAR races at Riverside and I think one at Ontario Motor Speedway. The race cars were still recognisible as the ones you could buy at a dealership. I owned a streetable one in the early 1970s. I refuse to watch NASCAR "truck" races. They are not trucks!
    No problem. I feel bad for you because the Fontana track is the worst in nascar. They should bulldoze it and build a short track.

But, you are missing out on the truck racing. Most weeks the trucks have the best racing because they are so aggressive.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Nothing says good old southern racing like a short track.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    No problem. I feel bad for you because the Fontana track is the worst in nascar. They should bulldoze it and build a short track.

But, you are missing out on the truck racing. Most weeks the trucks have the best racing because they are so aggressive.
    I have never been to Fontana. I am remembering Ontario Motor Speedway that was built around 1970 and bulldozed in 1980 due to real estate values. It was a 2.5 mile Indianapolis clone. I attended mostly USAC (Indy Car) races and one NASCAR race. I just can't remember what it was called. Riverside was a 2.6 mile road course that opened in 1957 and was bulldozed in 1989 for the same reason.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I have been a Nascar fan since the late 50s. But I lost interest in the 90s. Now these cars they run now don't really resemble a real stock car. Back in the day the car had to be street legal. It had to be something that could be driven on the street and it at least resembled a real stock car. Now, nothing from the engine to the body panels has anything to do with stock cars. They only resemble them from a sillouette view.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I have been a Nascar fan since the late 50s. But I lost interest in the 90s. Now these cars they run now don't really resemble a real stock car. Back in the day the car had to be street legal. It had to be something that could be driven on the street and it at least resembled a real stock car. Now, nothing from the engine to the body panels has anything to do with stock cars. They only resemble them from a sillouette view.
    It sounds like we have similar interests and opinions concerning stock car racing. Since this is the Guns-and-Ammo forum we should probably take this somewhere else. Are you and/or the others with auto racing interest members of a suitable forum? Just let me know and I will meet you there. I searched and found auto-racing.com which appeared to have some potential. Stock Car Racing Magazine forum seemed to be all over the place with very little concerning stock car racing!
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »

they are getting back to that..
    two new rules this year, manufactures submit a concept body to NASCAR, who then wind tunnels it, and certifies the template.
    The Manufacturer then stamps out all the sheet metal.
    A Ford is stamped by Ford, a Chevy by Chevy..
    the other new rule is engine castings must be done in-house, not by contract.

the days of driving one off the showroom on Monday were gone when they went to "chassis" cars.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.