Weatherby Mark V Rifles

Replies

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It is my belief that Weatherby does use premium barrels in their guns. The ones I have owned have all been excellent shooters with pretty decent bedding from the factory and as I said fit and finish has been flawless in every one I have ever examined.

I've never had a need for a 500 yard plus hunting rig but in any case I have never cared to have any more than 2 MAYBE 3 shots in a neat little cluster from a hunting gun. Every rifle I own has proven to me it can do MOA or better for 3 or more shots but that is just gravy on my mashed potatoes. If the first 2 touch consistently I'm :tooth:

Also never had a "pencil thin" barrel that would hold for 5+ shot groups or even understand the need for it. On a final note you could not PAY ME to lug a heavy barrel on a hunting gun but I know many folks here prefer them. I'd rather walk the world with a sub 8lb rig that can put 2 shots from a cold bore next to each other all day long. And THAT'S why makers manufacture so many different models of rifles. I don't think ANYONE even expects to see a heavy barreled 12+ lb Weatherby or that they have ever been designed/intended for such use. That 30-378 was only designed to put 2 shots into an elk at whatever distances anyone would care to shoot at the critter at. :uhm:

Thank you Bro Wambli, you hit on every point I was trying to make. I love my Mark V 300 and I never plan on shooting over 3 shots at game at a time. That is not asking too much of its pencil thin barrel. In fact, I am a fan of those barrels for hunting. It will hold for three to five shots and it's not like carrying the Titanic's anchor around all day. With all the steel in the action area of a Weatherby, a heavy barrel would be a terror to carry in the field. That thing would weigh 15 pounds!!!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,072 Senior Member
    CMW wrote: »
    These rifles have moose, elk, beer, and deer.

I haven't been beer hunting in years....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    CMW wrote: »
    I own six weatherbys: a 300, 30-378, 7mm, 340, 378, and a 460.

Would you be opposed to posting some pictures of these rifles? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to see them...
  • CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Do you really realize what you said here? Be honest now, have you ever sat down when out in the wild and thought about how far 800 yards actually is? I just shot a deer last week at the whopping distance of 200 yards. It wasn't that difficult of a shot, but it wasn't a snap success either. It took a bit of thought and preparation on my part to hit that deer at that range. I had practiced at that range, knew the poi of my rifle at that range, and I have been shooting a lot lately so I squeezed off the shot without flinching or pulling it. The results was a bang flop kill. However, it wasn't THAT EASY. Getting steady on a 200 yard target is not a given. Now, multiply that distance by 4 and it's 800 yards. To me, that's 4 times more difficult to say nothing about not really knowing what the wind would be like in the other ZIP CODE!!! There are a few people on this forum that I would trust with a shot like that and you and I aren't one of those. I don't know you and you have proven nothing to me. So why would I think you could nail a deer at that ridiculous range?

And while I own one Weatherby Rifle and love it, I know that it doesn't make me a long range SNIPER. The benefit that these overbore cartridges give us is measured in inches, not feet. By the time the bullet gets that far, it's only marginally better than a conventional weapon! Get Real!!!

I do know what 800 yards is. To be able to shoot that far takes alot of practice. You also have to have mastered the external ballistics of the round you are shooting. And thats not just on a computer program. A program wont be dead on the money for your rifle. Yes I do have the facillities to practice at 800 yards and I have done so. With a 25 power scope the sight picture is like that of a 3 power scope at one hundred yards(not to bad). This does take a really really steady rest. You are not going to do this sitting and using shooting sticks. I either shoot of a bench or from a prone possesion with a good bipod. I also do a lot of trigger control dry fire paractice. I have a technique I picked up from one of my dads friend who was a Army recon sniper. I take a cleaning rod and insert it down the bore half way. then you get in a prone possesion and have someone balance a dime on the end, then I squeze the trigger and try to keep the dime steady. I have learned alot about long range shooting from this same sniper. He is the basis of where my skills and technique come from. I'm not saying if i saw a deer at long range and had any weatherby on me I would start slinging bullets. But I know for a fact a that I can hit a target at 800 yards with my weatherby system that I have spent hours behind and know how to properly use.
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Would you be opposed to posting some pictures of these rifles? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to see them...

I'll see, I could get pictures of the internet but I dont have the camera equipment on hand to take a picture of mine unlesss I used my phone. Those images may not be great though.
    Thanks...not interested in stock Weatherby photos - ...I think we'd really like to see YOUR rifles.....there's just something about a rifle that belongs to someone, tend to have more "character" .
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,734 Senior Member
    Post away with your phone. Many of us do that at times, when we don't have our camera handy.
    Which of the six (300, 30-378, 7mm, 340, 378, and a 460) do you use for LR shooting?
    Optics, bullets you hunt with, and MV's for those rifles?
    Sounds like you have the basics covered in terms of form. It is great to have skilled mentors for sure.
    What size target do you typically use for your LR practice?
    How do you correct for wind in terms of determining speed with your scope?
    FWIW-I would not discount the ability of some to make shots at distance from the sitting position using their field gear:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You got that right. Every used rifle has a story to tell, or a few.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    FWIW-I would not discount the ability of some to make shots at distance from the sitting position using their field gear:jester:

AMEN!
    I use my 30-378. At the moment my optics arent the best. My favorite long range gun is my .338 lapua magnum. On my .338 is use 300 grain bergers with magpro powder and on my 30-378 I have been using 168 grain a-max's with retumbo powder. My favorite long range Optic is sadly not on my weatherby but I will soon replace the one on the weatherby 30-378. On my .338 I have a leupold Mark 4 ERT 4.5-14x50 with the tmr reticle which I love and M5 Mil turrets. Soon the scope on my 30-378 will be replaced with a scope of the Mil/Mil type. I just hate using a Mil/Moa scope for corrections for wind and bullet drop. I like to do things simply. At least the Mil/Mil is simpler to me. For the wind correction I started of with a chart printed out of a program called exbal and I did some range testing for minor correections and I keep the card on me when I plan on LR shooting. Out to four hundred yards I use a lot of hold over values and past that I start to dial in. Like I said my main LR gun is my Armalite ar-30 in 338 lapua but I am completely confident with my weatherby even thoough the scope is really lacking in what I would like it to do for clearness and adjustment. My grandpa was the original owners of all my weatherbys and he had a bad problem of putting cheap scopes on expensive guns. He even put a tasco 10-40x50 on our 50 bmg(which I replaced after it snapped in half). He could still hit a 8 inch target at 1000 yards. He was a good LR shooter. He took a whitetail at 800 yards with a .243 off of a hood of a truck. He used a mauser with light barrel and a lyman super target spot. Amazing to me that he used a blurry 8x scope with unknown adjustment values and only rested on a hood of a truck. He was also a big influenze on me. He died when I was 11 so he never really got to see me start shooting LR. Furthest he saw me shoot was about 500 yards with his or "my" weatherby 7mm.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,734 Senior Member
    I also have a Lapua, but it is a 338 Lapua Improved (338 AX--Allen Xpress). I have used Exbal for years-Great program.
    MV for your 30-378? I wouldn't use that load for anything up close(It will be a mess), with MV's, probably in 3400 fps or so.
    Twist rate not fast enough to stabilize the heavier A-Max's? If your twist rate will stabilize the heavier A-Max's it will do even better in the wind at distance:up:
    Got me curious now, what scope do you have on it?
    I prefer MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL myself, and add to that FFP, but I can easily use a mixed scope.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I load the amax's to about 3400 fps. It stabilizes them well and is accurate. Im limited on a lot of accuracy testing because I have to keep letting the barrel cool after three shots(only bad thing about the weatherbys). I feel pretty bad saying this but it is a tasco 6-24 on the weatherby 30-378. It's pathetic, I known, but money gives limitations and I put all of my money into my .338. The scope works well enough to get started at long range. I was brought up modest on optics and have learned to stretch every bit of life out of a crapy optic. Like I said I shot the 7mm wby mag at 500 yards and all that it had on it was a redfield 3-9 power. My grandpa taught me to use and love "kentucky windage" but I prefer using the mil system, so that tasco on the 30-378 has to go. It will either be junked or put on a 22 or something. Once you can shoot with crappy optics good optics make 500 yards feel like 250.
  • bigsurbobbigsurbob New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    You couldn't give me one. Shotty workmanship and lousy accuracy. I don't even know if they're safe to shoot!!! LOLOLOL!!! Right!

Whoa, I stood up out of my seat. Just bought an Accumark .308 and a Deluxe .300 WBY Mag. Sure, pricey. But love is.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,509 Senior Member
    bigsurbob wrote: »
    Whoa, I stood up out of my seat. Just bought an Accumark .308 and a Deluxe .300 WBY Mag. Sure, pricey. But love is.

Sarcasm.jpg
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,645 Senior Member
    Never owned a Weatherby, never wanted to. I don't like the style, which to me seems "Japanese" if you know what I mean. I'm a traditional style rifleman myself. Classic turns me on, severe monte carlo stocks and brilliant black finish do no. I like rust blue.

I'm not sure, but I think Roy Weatherby is the father of the white line spacer. A sin against nature. I do not like the looks of the wooden stock bling rifles, too shiny bowling pin finish, and see no need where I live to push performance. As for the synthetic stock rifles, they look the same except for the trigger guards as any other synthetic stock rifle. If I was looking for performance, I think I could get the same performance in a Rem 700, or close enough. Since all calibers are within a fairly close envelope, a few hundred fps has been proven to not kill any better than any other rifle. For me the 7-08 or the 7mm Mauser is fine. For around here the 30-30 is just fine for killing a 120 pound whitetail. For bigger animals, you can kill an elk with a bow and arrow, so you don't need a eargersplitzen magnum. I'm no long rage shooter.

Which in no way is to criticize the performance of these rifles. Their performance is superior, if that's what you're looking for. It's not what I'm looking for, though. If Statistics is your goal, you could do a lot worse than a Weatherby. Statistics are not at all important to me, "good enough" is my goal. People love them or hate them; I certainly don't love them, but certainly don't hate them. I'll never own one and yield the floor to those who are far more familiar than I am.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,573 Senior Member
    Weatherby Mark V rifles are masterpieces of the production gun maker's art. Immensely strong, well crafted, beautifully finished, and chambered in proprietary high peformance calibers of every practical size. Truly a Cadillac brand. And to acquire one, you will pay a Cadillac price, and you will get your money's worth. You might even wonder how such a firearm can be produced for so little.

As for me, I am beyond a snob, way beyond an elitist, and even a bit arrogant to boot. For the same money or therebouts, I would rather have a rifle that is not only a masterpiece, but far more rare and collectible as well. You see, the Weatherby Mark V is still in production, and there is the risk that the Joneses next door might buy one just like mine. I want to cut those odds. I would look instead at a mint condition Mannlicher-Schoenauer from the 1950s or 1960s. That iconic full length stock and butterknife handle are unsurpassed for elegance and, oh yeah, they shoot good too. Better yet, a really excellent Colt Sauer. That retracting lug bolt is just too cool. Enjoy.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Be sure and tell the deer about that rifle's pedigree- - - -it will probably lay down and die out of sheer amazement! I'm sure the rest of us are suitably impressed also!
    :worthy::worthy::worthy:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Be sure and tell the deer about that rifle's pedigree- - - -it will probably lay down and die out of sheer amazement! I'm sure the rest of us are suitably impressed also!
    :worthy::worthy::worthy:
    Jerry

The deer just as well go ahead and lay down when I lift my Weatherby to my shoulder. I always have been impressed and the deer do lay down and die and it is sheer amazement how quick they do.:jester:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    This is an old thread that's been beat to death. That said, a Weatherby Mark V is a fine rifle, but it's a Cadillac Escalade to your Chevrolet Tahoe.....just another fine rifle with more bling to it.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Weatherby
    You see, the Weatherby Mark V is still in production,

I did not know this. Weatherby got cheap with their latest line of rifles. They had too, not many folks are willing to pay for a Mark V Deluxe.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buf, I would say they "streamlined" to meet the market. You're right, not a lot of folks are willing to pay for a MK V......I'd love one, like I'd love a Corvette in my garage too. So here comes the Vanguard....the poor man's Weatherby, and the Howa, the no excuses no holds bar Made in Japan emblazoned upon it Blue Collar rifle that took the Remington 700 and made the design better....but it's not in the same room as a MK V Deluxe.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Buf, I would say they "streamlined" to meet the market.

I agree, a bad choice in words on my part. Myself I see the Weatherby as the super duper cartridge and the piece of furniture no one would take into the field and risk a scratch. I bought a 300 Weatherby Mark V for long range target shooting, what was I thinking, you can cook on the barrel on the 3rd shot.
    Yep, the barrel will cook strips of spam after a few rounds of .300 mag or wby....I call my Howa .300 WM a field expedient stove...lol! Mountain hunting is rough on rifles, but the finish on a MK V is tough, just not tough enough for the Rockies. I went Hogue on mine....total practicality....but everyone should have a Ferrari in their gun safe, just because.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    bigsurbob wrote: »
    You can go ahead and sit back down. He was being sarcastic, actually I believe he owns one IIRC. Welcome.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    You can go ahead and sit back down. He was being sarcastic, actually I believe he owns one IIRC. Welcome.

Yes I do own one. And next time bigsurbob, read down the page a little. It WAS sarcasm. I love my one Wby Mk V and I do have a Howa 1500 Action which is he same as the Vangard, and I love that rifle too. I had it rebarreled to a .250 Savage.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,509 Senior Member
    You guys realize Weatherby does make more then one model of MkV right? They're not all shiny, bright blue, or extremely heavy. Plenty of matte, stainless, synthetic models, and the Ultralight starts at 5.5lbs for under 2k$.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    You guys realize Weatherby does make more then one model of MkV right? They're not all shiny, bright blue, or extremely heavy. Plenty of matte, stainless, synthetic models, and the Ultralight starts at 5.5lbs for under 2k$.

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Buford wrote: »

There you go. For his graduation from AF Basic Training I gave my son a Mark V Fibermark Composite in 30-06. It's a GREAT all business weather-proof rifle that is an absolute beauty to carry and shoot.

markv_fibermark.jpg
    I gave my son this Mark V Deluxe in 7mm Weatherby mag. Another great rifle.

100_1395.jpg