gun oils

janikjanik MemberPosts: 31 Member
do you think that synthetic oil is good for semi-automatic pistols, especially at slide and rail areas?
let us hang together, elsewise, we hang separately.

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,135 Senior Member
    Depends on how fast you intend to drive them.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,076 Senior Member
    janik wrote: »
    do you think that synthetic oil is good for semi-automatic pistols, especially at slide and rail areas?

For slide/rails I prefer Shooters Choice or any other high quality gun grease. Reason? It stays where I put it.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    welcome,

depends.

if youre playing in the sandbox anything that stays "wet" will attract what you dont want.

also, i will read the manual first and see if the OEM recommends anything in particular before i bubba it. if nothing is recommended, then i will try my different lubes i have on hand. currently im using tetralube on all of my guns to see how it works.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    I personally like Tri-Flow, when hunting in cold ( below 32* ) I completely de-greese them, Im only gonna shoot 2-4 times, and not having any lube wont hurt them and they wont freeze up.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,659 Senior Member
    Break Free will do it all. So the answer is yes, emphatically so.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,367 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    For slide/rails I prefer Shooters Choice or any other high quality gun grease. Reason? It stays where I put it.

Same here. Especially on carry guns. I want the lube to stay on the gun, and not leak into the holster or my clothes.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,629 Senior Member
    I use synthetic transmission fluid as a general gun lube and a tiny bit of grease on wear points. The STF is cheaper than anything else out there and works like a champ. A quart will darn near last you a lifetime.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,725 Senior Member
    I've had great luck with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil on the rails and barrel bushing area, with grease on the barrel lugs. I do use a bit of grease underneath the oil on the rails, but I'm not sure it's really needed, to tell you the truth.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I use Break Free which is close to Tri Flow in ingredients or works as well. If its cold enough to freeze I stay inside. Just saying. :popcorn: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    I use Break Free and occasionally add a drop of Mobil 1 on the rails.
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    janik wrote: »

TetraGun oil is all you need!! It works great!
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Of all the non traditional gun oils, the ATF will work better than motor oil. Not that the motor oil will do a bad job. Anything that cuts the friction is a good thing.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member Posts: 216 Member
    I currently use M-Pro 7 oil and it works great. However, once this bottle is empty i am going to try motor oil. One of my instructors at the academy uses it on his competition gun and he says it works great. if it works to lubricate and protect engine parts it should work on firearms. I will give it a try.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    A dab of GunSlick Grease on a coating of Breakfree or Remoil sprayed on. Then work the slide or whatever part you coated. Do it about once every 3 months or so. It'll never wear out.
    Use all lub sparingly.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    I use Mobil 1 for all (well most) of my lubrication needs.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,312 Senior Member
    If you use a lube that is not SPECIFICALLY designed for firearms, you guns will disintegrate and your testicles will shrivel up and fall off.
    So, be very careful using motor oil.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 962 Senior Member
    A thin film of Mobil one synthetic has worked for me for years.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,725 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If you use a lube that is not SPECIFICALLY designed for firearms, you guns will disintegrate and your testicles will shrivel up and fall off.
    So, be very careful using motor oil.
    So, is that how you got the discount vasectomy?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    Use the all purpose lube
    transmission fluid .

It will lube your splitter, lube your gears, lube guns, why even lube your arthritic joints.
    Just contact Lubing Ned and I will send you one once of all purpose genuine lube,
    guaranteed you lube all things, but, orchids for the mere pittance of~~~~~~~
    This message has been deleted
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Oil is oil and grease is grease.....use sparingly and only where necessary. FWIW, I use CLP and mil-grade grease.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,312 Senior Member
    So, is that how you got the discount vasectomy?

Yes.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee