Anyone ever used these .224" bullets (for targets/ vermin or both)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,751 Senior Member
Barnes RRLP Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 55 Grain Frangible Flat Base Lead-Free
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/964447/barnes-rrlp-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-55-grain-frangible-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-100

If so, did you shoot paper/steel or vermin with them?

I bought a couple of boxes since I couldn't get any 60gr V-maxes. I bought them for a "hunting" upper and once I find a load and get my D.O.P.E out to ~300 yards, I'll probably just use them when I attempt to call coyotes in a few months.

So, if you've used them for paper punching, how was their accuracy compared to "standard" cup & core varmint bullets and if you've taken game with them, how'd they do on yodel dog to crow sized vermin???
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,751 Senior Member
    So I'm the only person on the forum to ever own any of these :uhm:

Wow, looks like I get to be the guinea pig.
    Guess besides loading some up for my "hunting" upper I'll load a few for the Lilja to see how load particular/accurate they are.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    I have a .223 load for the Barnes 70 gr. TSX. Not the same bullet, I know, but it is a solid copper bullet and it might be of some value to know that the groups with it were comparable to the 0.4 groups I got with 68gr. Hornady Match. This was a 20" heavy barrel, 1:8.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,751 Senior Member

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,079 Senior Member
    The cousin is playing with some lead-free Barnes 36 grainers out of his .223 and .22-250 and is having some great success with them
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,364 Senior Member
    Sorry Paul, no experience with those. I still have a bazillion of the 55 grain Dogtown bullets from Midway I need to use up before I experiment with anything new.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member