I thought I found the 629 of my dreams

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,967 Senior Member
Clean and I stopped at my favorite pawn shop and they had a 4" 629
.44 mag.

I looked at it and put it down, then went back and looked again.

The chambers were shiney, but, the recoil shield was real full of carbon
and the lands had something on them and the barrel lug had a small pool
of dried up oil as if it ran out of somewhere.

He had a zip tie preventing the hammer from being cocked. I asked him to
take the tie off and got "what do you want to do that for?"

That was it, I figured something is wrong and he won't want to run a patch
through the barrel either, to see what is in the barrel.

It was a real disappointment, I guess he really did not want to sell it.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Should have just told him you wanted to test function and lock up, no foul in that. You may have missed out on a sweet gun that was just filthy. The model 29 3" I just got was like that but she sure cleaned up nice with a good cleaning.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,240 Senior Member
    My 29 was pretty dirty when I got it, but cleaned up really well. It's got a 6 1/2" barrel, which means it was made pre-1979 when the bbl length was dropped to 6". It's in about 95% shape, more or less, maybe a small bit less. I almost traded it for a 629, but when I got there, the 629 was gone. Thank Goodness. Mine is pinned and recessed, and I don't think the 629 was.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Well, I could be wrong but the impression I got was a man of long experience at one of his favorite LGSs saw a possible candidate for the object of a quest. He looked at it and had issues that required investigation. And the guy acted funny so he trusted his instincts.
    Anyway, I have my quests too and have also walked away when it just didn't feel right.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I thought I taught your fellas how to deal with the pawn shop guy!!! Sheesh do I need to go over it again? lol
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Has any one fired the mountain gun version of the 629? That is one on my life list to aquire.
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Has any one fired the mountain gun version of the 629? That is one on my life list to aquire.

Close to it, I have the mod 29 Bounty hunter .44 mag. I can tell you it is a handful but I love it!
    I have the 625 mountain gun in .45 Colt and that one is super sweet.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I've been thinking about a 44 mountain gun as well.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    The gun probably just needs a good cleaning. If he is any good at being a pawn broker he does not have more then $150.00 in the gun lol
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
    There's hardly anything you can do to a 629. The barrel may be leaded but that's no problem. I'd give it a try, first checking the lockup and the headspace. But they don't rust, and it would take a helluva man to shoot one enough to loosen it up. I'm willing to give a lot of leeway if I get a good price.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    The price was right up there with gunbroker starting prices and on consignment $88x.
    I'll watch it and see.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Meh...doesn't sound like anything special at that price. Made the right decision.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    NN wrote: »
    The price was right up there with gunbroker starting prices and on consignment $88x.
    I'll watch it and see.

Ok, at that price I would have passed too. For almost $900 I would expect like new.
    The 629 I was looking at was excellent and priced at $650. It was a consignment gun.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Clean and I stopped at my favorite pawn shop and they had a 4" 629
    .44 mag.

I looked at it and put it down, then went back and looked again.

The chambers were shiney, but, the recoil shield was real full of carbon
    and the lands had something on them and the barrel lug had a small pool
    of dried up oil as if it ran out of somewhere.

He had a zip tie preventing the hammer from being cocked. I asked him to
    take the tie off and got "what do you want to do that for?"

That was it, I figured something is wrong and he won't want to run a patch
    through the barrel either, to see what is in the barrel.

It was a real disappointment, I guess he really did not want to sell it.

Hey, NN you sure got a short memory, LOL!!! We just had a thread about Gun Store Butt Heads. You know how they can be. You should have been perserverent and talked him into taking the tie off and function tested it. Like TIMC said, you may have passed on a sweet gun. Then again it may have been a piece of crap, but you'll never know now. Don't let the butt heads get in the way of your pleasure and desires.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Oh forget what I said, for $900+ it better be almost new and pristine. However, if you think he still may have it, go back and try to deal with him. If you can talk him down to $600-$700 range it might be worth it, but I'd have him cut that tie and then give it a good look first. If he's so cheap he's worried about ruining a wire tie, hell take him an extra one and tell him you'll give him another tie if he'll cut this one.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    We may be done with that place, we spent $150 on ammo there the last month
    and that guy keeps blowing my mind.