Looking for 223 AR style Riffle

TUmbleweedTUmbleweed New MemberPosts: 4 New Member
Hello All, I need some assistance in getting a new rifle. As the title says I am looking for a 223/5.56NATO AR style rifle. I was looking at getting the Sig M400 but there are no shops within 100miles of me that have one, so now I am looking for suggestions on something else. It will be used for Home Defense and Range shooting. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I grew up shooting handguns my entire life with my father a Retired County Sheriff, but I know absolutely nothing about rifles. And being that I live in the great state of CA ":down:" my options are limited. Thanks

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    Due to the political climate, and the current panic going on, you will have to be VERY lucky to find any Semi-auto, Magazine Fed, home defense rifle in stock ANYWHERE- not just in CA.

If you need a rifle NOW... well, You might have to look at other options.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Yep, the market is pretty well dried up due to buyer's panic as the latest incarnation of the ill-named "Assault Weapons Ban" is kicking around. By many reports, the extreme nature of the proposed bans will make this a non-starter in any Congressional vote, but like any other speculation situation the rifles (one "f", my friend! :cool:) and their ammunition are getting prime rates and are hard to come by!

If you can find one, you'll probably get gouged on the price. Best of luck, but the days of huge selection on such rifles are, at least for now, a memory.

Welcome aboard, anyhoo!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    TUmbleweed wrote: »
    Hello All, I need some assistance in getting a new riffle. As the title says I am looking for a 223/5.56NATO AR style riffle. I was looking at getting the Sig M400 but there are no shops within 100miles of me that have one, so now I am looking for suggestions on something else. It will be used for Home Defense and Range shooting. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I grew up shooting handguns my entire life with my father a Retired County Sheriff, but I know absolutely nothing about riffles. And being that I live in the great state of CA ":down:" my options are limited. Thanks

The way things are right now and given your state, I agree you're pretty much screwed. Move to Texas and I'll sell you one of mine.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    Welcome to the board. Right now might not be the best time to look for an AR-style rifle - availability is definitely a concern as others have said, but prices are highly inflated right now too. However, there are still AR's to be had, even in CA, on the used market. You could check places like Armslist. I see quite a few used ARs there. Although I wouldn't recommend buying one if you're new to rifles, as you may unknowingly get a lemon from an unscrupulous private seller. There are still plenty of options for home defense and range fun.

Hang around a while and read some of the discussions here and you'll undoubtedly come up with some more ideas.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Due to the political climate, and the current panic going on, you will have to be VERY lucky to find any Semi-auto, Magazine Fed, home defense rifle in stock ANYWHERE- not just in CA.

If you need a rifle NOW... well, You might have to look at other options.

....Ya got that right bullsi1911!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Don't even think about buying a "black rifle" now. Wait until the Congress fails to pass an 'assault' weapons ban, and prices begin to return to normal. That'll take a few months. Be patient. Buy it now and you'll be ripped off - big time.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I happen to love LA, there is good and bad folks everywhere, I hate their gun laws, high cost of living so there is no chance of me living there unless I was wealthy enough to have a second home in Arizona and my own plane to hop and visit my guns whenever!

My condolences but I think that you are out of luck as before anything that is still legal in CA in that configuration is available it will be banned in that state and I think that anything that is "grandfathered is not transferable, not even from a parent to a son.

I would start to consider a pump shotgun for home defense and a 22 bolt action rifle for plinking. that or relocating.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • guinnessguinness Member Posts: 62 Member
    Here in NC , ARs are pretty easy to come by.
  • TUmbleweedTUmbleweed New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    My LGS has a couple Colt LE6490's in stock, but they are priced at $1850. I believe retail on these is around $1500. So there are ARs available just a little over priced like everyone is saying.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    You know....I've been on the lookout for and AR style riffle myself.....that little piece of stream where the trout just go gang busters on my dry fly presentation an hook themselves one right after another.....bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.....

Ohhh........ you meant RIFLE!

Good luck, move or find something else, in CA, you are way past screwed.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    Cruise the back alleys of Oakland- - - -or maybe the Tenderloin. If you don't get mugged, I'll bet there are quite a few available for a quick, under-the-table cash transaction! Wear heat-resistant gloves, though!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    My LGS has a couple Colt LE6490's in stock, but they are priced at $1850. I believe retail on these is around $1500. So there are ARs available just a little over priced like everyone is saying.

That's actually not TOO bad considering that $700 AR's are going for $14-1500. The 6940's generally sell for near retail. You would be hard pressed to find a 6920 for that price.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    I recommend signing up on Calgun.net and check the classifieds section often, which is extremely active. You may be able to find something local and 100% CA compliant. Forum classifieds tend to be a little cheaper than auction or larger sites like Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, or Armslist.

As other have said, the climate is unfavorable to buyers (to put it mildly). Expect to pay $1200 - $1500 for what used to go for $700-$1000. Having bought and sold a few ARs recently, I can tell you that the market is getting a bit better though. There are over 3300 AR15s listed on Gunbroker right now, but only about 70 are CA legal. Still, you may be able to find something: http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=ca+ar15 and http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=california+ar15 .

Good luck!
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    Are M1 .30 Carbines legal in CA?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TUmbleweedTUmbleweed New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Are M1 .30 Carbines legal in CA?
    Yes I believe so
    Yes I believe so

here is an option, then: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330950016

Not horrendously overpriced, and will work great for home defense.

Another option:
    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?11808-Lever-Guns-for-Self-defense
    Lever action carbine in .44Mag or .357. Load the .44 with Specials, and be well defended. It's not an AR, but it is an option if you need something NOW.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    My advice, move to Texas and buy a .270, :roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Don't even think about buying a "black rifle" now. Wait until the Congress fails to pass an 'assault' weapons ban, and prices begin to return to normal. That'll take a few months. Be patient. Buy it now and you'll be ripped off - big time.

I almost agree with this. Except that you can't bank on em not passing the ban or more likely limiting magazine capacity, or in otherwords you won't be able to buy high capacity ones, or anything over about 10 shots. What I'd do is wait to by the black rifle but buy magazines now while they're legal.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    270? Go with 30-06 instead.