44 colt ammo

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,414 Senior Member
What can .44colt be shot in?
Any thing other than a 44 colt single action?
How about a .44mag redhawk?
Is the rim too wide?

The pawn shop has some of that ammo, the counter guy calls it 44 long colt
and he calls 45 colt long colt as well.
This message has been deleted

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    According to "Cartridges of the World", the .44 Colt uses a heeled, outside-lubricated bullet like an oversized .22 rimfire. The bullet diameter appears to be the same as the case OD, which would need a much larger bore size than the .429" bore of the .44 Special/.44 Mag. You'd be trying to cram a .440-ish bullet down a .429" bore, not too wise a choice!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,414 Senior Member
    Thank you.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,825 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    According to "Cartridges of the World", the .44 Colt uses a heeled, outside-lubricated bullet like an oversized .22 rimfire. The bullet diameter appears to be the same as the case OD, which would need a much larger bore size than the .429" bore of the .44 Special/.44 Mag. You'd be trying to cram a .440-ish bullet down a .429" bore, not too wise a choice!
    Jerry

Yep that's the same reason .41 Long Colt ammo can't be shot in a .41 Mag gun.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    The pawn shop has some of that ammo, the counter guy calls it 44 long colt
    and he calls 45 colt long colt as well.

He calls the .45 Colt "long Colt" because the "ACP" in .45 ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol.
    And the pistol itself was nicknamed "Colt .45" for a long-essed time.
    Yes. There still is some confusion. Made worse because of all those revolvers chambered in .45 ACP

kinda scary that there are still people out there that don't know the difference between a pistol and a revolver.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,414 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    He calls the .45 Colt "long Colt" because the "ACP" in .45 ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol.
    And the pistol itself was nicknamed "Colt .45" for a long-essed time.
    Yes. There still is some confusion. Made worse because of all those revolvers chambered in .45 ACP

kinda scary that there are still people out there that don't know the difference between a pistol and a revolver.

Yeah, yeah~~~~~~~my point was to keep the 4x colt 4x long colt controversy going
    for the 4x Colt purists on the forum; sorta like mag vs clip I bait new guys with.
    Even though he actually does use that terminology and once when I saw some 45 Colt
    on the ammo shelf and asked for it, he went to the other end of the shelf and got some
    .45 ACP. So he knows I know the difference.
    NN wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah~~~~~~~my point was to keep the 4x colt 4x long colt controversy going
    for the 4x Colt purists on the forum; sorta like mag vs clip I bait new guys with.
    Even though he actually does use that terminology and once when I saw some 45 Colt
    on the ammo shelf and asked for it, he went to the other end of the shelf and got some
    .45 ACP. So he knows I know the difference.

Actually the correct designation for the .41 is .41 LONG Colt.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    Not if you're using .41 Short Colt.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,196 Senior Member
    I believe this was also known as the .41 Shetland Pony.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Not if you're using .41 Short Colt.
    Oh you know what I mean...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,838 Senior Member
    Oh, I do. I do. But your lack of clarity is not my fault.
    Overkill is underrated.