Has anyone here suffered from "Frozen Shoulder" before?

GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior MemberPosts: 1,083 Senior Member
and if so, what treatment did you consider or receive? I've noticed over the past 6-8 weeks pain in my right shoulder when I raise my right arm, to the point now that my range of motion is probably 50% of what it used to be. It basically came out of nowhere as far as I can tell, although research online says it may have been resultant of stress, the MI I had last May, my diabetes, or my age (I'll be 49 in October).

I'm going to see if I can get a Dr.'s appointment for next week. Anyone experience this before?
I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    Mine turned out to be an anterior dislocation...see a chiropractor
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    The most common cause for "range of motion" limitations is arthritis. It simply gets too painful to force a joint such as a shoulder to move to their extreme positions. It used to be common for some orthopedic doctors to force shoulder joints to move to extreme positions while a patient was under general anaesthesia and break the calcifications loose. It would have been excruciatingly painful to do that awake. The range of motion benefit was usually temporary, and I'm not sure if that's even being done anymore.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    I have suffered from this before but it was caused by gravity. I fell down an open stairwell in a fire one night. Wound up hanging off a stair stringer that got caught in my armpit. Took me a year before I could do pushups again.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    Yeah, my ex wife had it. She used to give me the cold shoulder whenever I came back from hunting, fishing or Clay Target competitions. I cured it by getting divorced.

Actually, I do have a problem with my left shoulder. There is a lump on top of it which comes and goes. When I raise/lower my left arm holding it forward of my body I dont have any problems. Its a different story if I raise/lower it out to the side. When I do that it 'locks up' and can get quite painful. The lump has been there for about 4 years.

One day I will go to the doctor and get it checked.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Yeah, my ex wife had it. She used to give me the cold shoulder whenever I came back from hunting, fishing or Clay Target competitions. I cured it by getting divorced.

Actually, I do have a problem with my left shoulder. There is a lump on top of it which comes and goes. When I raise/lower my left arm holding it forward of my body I dont have any problems. Its a different story if I raise/lower it out to the side. When I do that it 'locks up' and can get quite painful. The lump has been there for about 4 years.

One day I will go to the doctor and get it checked.

No sense getting in a rush about it.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    No sense getting in a rush about it.

Ed Zachary!

See my upcoming post about my new Doctor.........:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,959 Senior Member
    Had that problem in both shoulders. It was from repetitive motion from opening and closing large valves at work. I'd worn a groove in each ball of the shoulder joints. When I raised either arm, it was extremely painful. After 10 years of retirement, they've mostly healed, although both pop audibly when I raise either arm above my head.

Been doing any strenuous repetitive motion work?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    Clean had something like the OP, it was impingement.
    She was sent to physical therapy and it resolved.

I think dusting caused it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Mine turned out to be an anterior dislocation...see a chiropractor

This would be the quickest and the cheapest if it is a structural problem, you should know with a short course of treatment.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,623 Senior Member
    I went through this same scenario. The doctor that I was using told me that my shoulders were worn out and that I would need the sockets replaced. (after an MRI) I have insurance but I work with my hands and can't really go without working for several months so I got a second opinion. That doctor wasn't sure so he sent me to a physical therapist. That guy determined that I had a lot of scar tissue built up around the joints and he massaged the scar tissue to break it up. It worked and my shoulders quit hurting for about five years. they're starting to hurt again and I'm going to go through the whole ordeal again. If this is the first time that this is happening to you, I would get a second opinion and/or se a physical therapist.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,622 Senior Member
    My wife had 'shoulder adhesions,' according to the pain management doctor she was working for at the time. He treated it once by anesthetizing her for about a minute and manually breaking it loose by manipulating the shoulder joint. It obviously worked, because I watched him manually test her range of movement immediately before and immediately afterward. The difference was spectacular. The second time she had it, she wasn't working for him, and had it treated with physical therapy, on the advice of her general practitioner. The physical therapy was extremely painful and drawn out, but it did eventually work and she has had no further problems for several years, now.

In my case, I have almost full range of movement, but I have pain and 'popping' in certain positions, plus shooting rifles in the .30-06 range of power is sometimes painful - something I never had a problem with, before. I have always suspected a rotator cuff injury, because it is so common for people with similar backgrounds doing the type of physical labor I have done, plus I have hurt it a couple of times when throwing a baseball or football with my grandsons and it has never gotten much better, over time.

I never elected to do anything about it, before, but am considering it now, since it may be 'impacting' my rifle shooting. :tooth:
    This is pretty well the whole ordeal that I went through
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I've not had frozen shoulder, but have had frozen pork. It's caused by sitting on a bicycle seat for too long.

Or a mouth full of ice cubes.
    cpj wrote: »
    I've not had frozen shoulder, but have had frozen pork. It's caused by sitting on a bicycle seat for too long.

I've had that too but with me, my doctor called it "frozen beef".
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,622 Senior Member
    Mine called it frozen summer sausage.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,827 Senior Member
    Had it. Doc said it could be fixed with surgery or painful rehab at home. I took the pain route and spent about three weeks doing some terribly painful stretches against a wall. All good after that.
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    Well, I called and got a doctors appointment for next week. I'm expecting to be told I'll need cortisone shots and physical therapy for a few months. If that doesn't work, then probably surgery to remove the scar tissue inside my shoulder. NOT looking forward to that if it comes to it...

Even the physical therapy part sounds daunting, as much pain as I experience even trying to do everyday tasks...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,499 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

What lump?
    igor.jpg
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.