Home Main Category General Firearms

Looking for Gunsmithing/Machining School Recomendations

LHGunslingerLHGunslinger New MemberPosts: 2 New Member
Hi,

I am interested in becoming a gunsmith and would like to know what schools people would recommend. I prefer to go to a hands on school.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

John W Allen

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I think Caleb will be by shortly. He's a graduate of a gunsmithing school in Colorado and does fine work.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I went to the Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood, CO and I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. I have heard some negative feedback on the school over the last year or two though, a lot of the old instructors left and it seems that the program has suffered. Trinidad State in Trinidad, CO has a great program but it is a state school so you do have to meet all the general ed requirements along with the gunsmithing. They have some excellent specialty programs in the summer class series. Just be careful who you pick up at the bars, Trinidad is the sex change operation capital of the world. The next best program, from what I've heard, is Yavapai College in Prescott, AZ.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    If I moved there and nobody warned me ahead of time I'd be mega pissed!
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I too went to the Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing School in Lakewood, CO. I learned a lot. Best thing is go there and tour it. You can talk to the instructors and students. You will know if it is right for you.
  • LHGunslingerLHGunslinger New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you all for your advice. I will look into the Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing School in Lakewood, CO. Best Wishes.

John
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I went to gunsmithing school at Piedmont Community College in Roxboro NC. It was a really great program at the time. The intructors have changed since I went there so I can not say how it is now. But yeah at the time is was very good course so check that out too.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    While yer waiting , ya may want to check if yer local vo-tech school offers adult programs in basic machine shop (manual).
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    Just be careful who you pick up at the bars, Trinidad is the sex change operation capital of the world. .

Most confusing "Ladies Night" in the entire world