Home Main Category Hunting

Can you hog hunt with a .30 carbine?

justin10mmjustin10mm Senior MemberPosts: 688 Senior Member
It turns out you can.

003-5.jpg

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,400 Senior Member
    Nice!

An old hunting buddy used to whack and stack the hogs with an old .30 Carbine. You need to plan your shots, but It'll work.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,177 Senior Member
    Awesome. Great thing about shots like that is normally the meat is very tender.

Love the rifle by the way.

( What type of camera did you use?)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,642 Senior Member
    Well done :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Just a cheap Fuji film Fine Pix. It turned out better than expected. I was in a tri pod so I had to hold the camera with my left hand and rest the rifle across my forearm to aim.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,861 Senior Member
    Seems it works
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Nice shooting! Took my first deer with a .30 carbine many moons ago, good rifle for short range work!
    Congrats on the porker.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,177 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Just a cheap Fuji film Fine Pix. It turned out better than expected. I was in a tri pod so I had to hold the camera with my left hand and rest the rifle across my forearm to aim.

Cool.

I use one of these.............

http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/action-cameras/ac5xc.html

I cable tie it to either the forend of the 1187 or to the forend of whichever rifle I am using. It only has a 4X zoom unfortunately but works great for shotgunning and up to about 60-80 yds for centre fire rifles.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I would imagine you could kill a hog with a pellet gun if you're close enough. A 30 carbine should be plenty of rifle for hogs or deer, especially since you have a quick follow up shot, providing the range isn't too long. I plan on using both my .223 AND my .22-250 on em soon. BTW, nice shooting and camera work. I bet you're a good juggler too!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Justin, you hit him in the forehead? What was the range?

I'd love to see that slow-mo. He certainly snapped up at the impact and fell like a ton of bricks.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,951 Senior Member
    Cool! Find you a Blackhawk in 30 carbine to pair with that rifle. They make a little noise!!!!!!!!!!! If you reload that cartridge, it's fun to shoot. Especially in a revolver...
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Excellent work! That pig didn't know where the lightning bolt came from.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Good job! :yousuck:

Of course, almost anything that you can make that shot with will work, as long as it has enough 'juice' to penetrate the skull. But the .30 Carbine is a cool rifle and made to order for just such a shot. I'm very impressed that you were able to get it on video. :up:
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    The range was only about 25 yards. I didn't cut him open so I don't know were the bullet ended up.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    The range was only about 25 yards. I didn't cut him open so I don't know were the bullet ended up.

I think you could kill hogs AND deer with one all day long if you keep your shots within 100 yards. I plan on trying out my old .357 Mag. 8 3/8 inch barrel S&W .586 on one this year.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.