Cooking a steak, please help.

TSchubTSchub Senior MemberPosts: 780 Senior Member
Ok, I've got a new to me grill and am going to throw some steaks on. They aren't that thick, so I'm looking for time on each side to get them to medium/medium rare. Got all the seasoning lined up, but don't want to over cook these babies. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,309 Senior Member
    WAY too many variables to tell you an accurate time. The (pretty much) fool proof method?

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-1470-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSC5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314562112&sr=8-1
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,079 Senior Member
    Rub your steaks with a little olive oil...Season them (both sides) BEFORE putting them on the grill....Less than an inch...HOT grill... 3 minutes on a side..depending on how thick they actually are that may be to much...in any case it's not gonna take long...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    This is the method I learned while working in kitchens many moons ago and it's the way pros do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkekpYE4PQU
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,509 Senior Member
    Best tip, take them out of the fridge, sea salt/pepper generously both sides, cover them with plastic wrap and let them sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes before cooking. RIGHT before you cook them, rub in a little bit of oil on both sides.

For that thickness, you are probably looking at a tight window between 3-4 minutes on each side. Pull them off, put them on a warm plate and cover with foil. DO NOT TOUCH THEM!! Let them rest for 6-7 minutes (when you are using 1.25-2" cuts, 10 minutes) then give them a quick slit in the biggest spot and check to see if they're the way you want. If so, serve! If not, put them back on the grill for just a minute or two on each side, or if using gas, on the upper rack without flipping for about 3-5 min.

Remember, put them on, don't screw with em, flip em, don't screw with em. Don't poke, prod, cut or move them on the grill. The less you do, the better.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,509 Senior Member
    also, as tempting as it is, let them rest! a lot of people forget that part and check the temps or prod them when they pull the meat off the grill. when resting, they continue cooking and reabsorbing their juices, if you cut them now it'll dry the meat.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    congrats on another $$$ pit.

be sure to wash your grill before you use it.

if youre going to get into it, look for Steven Raichlen BBQ U show. its on PBS and probably others. But he has some nice tips and what to look for and how to do it.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Best tip, take them out of the fridge, sea salt/pepper generously both sides, cover them with plastic wrap and let them sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes before cooking. RIGHT before you cook them, rub in a little bit of oil on both sides.

That's good advice, don't cook them ice cold, I don't put oil on the meat though. I let the steaks come up to room temp then I season with either kosher salt or fluer de sel (French sea salt) and fresh cracked black pepper. I then clean the grill grate and apply a then coat of vegetable oil with a cotton bar towel, all of this is after the grill is pre-heated. Place the steaks on a HOT grill, wait 90 seconds then rotate the steak 90 degrees (don't flip it yet) to get nice cross hatch grill marks, wait another 90 seconds to 3 minutes depending on how thick the steak then flip, wait 90 seconds and rotate again, test for doneness, cook longer if needed. Remove the steaks from the grill and cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes, the internal temp of the meat will continue to rise another 5 to 10 degrees (referred to as carryover heat). This resting time will allow the heat to stabilize and for the juices to re-distribute and not leak out of the meat when you cut into it. If you want to make them extra special, top the cooked steaks with a compound butter. Mix one stick of softened butter with a tablespoon each of finely minced shallots, chives and garlic. Roll the mixture into a log in waxed paper and chill until firm. Slice off a 1/4 inch coin of butter for each steak and place on top before service. Serve all this with fries and you have the classic steak frites, best enjoyed with a nice Belgian ale.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Awww , just nuke 'em!

Every grill is different. I still have an old propane grill that I gutted and made a stainless pan so I could use it with lump charcoal.

My gas grill is a Weber 310. I turn it on high for 15min to preheat , brush the grates with a wet brass wire brush , close lid. Let it come back up to temp. When hot 600' or better , I open it , quick spray of Pam for grilling , put the steaks on , close the lid , cut the knobs back to 1/2 open. Turn after 2-3 min to sear other side. Turn once more after about 5 mins.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    calebib wrote: »
    That's good advice, don't cook them ice cold, I don't put oil on the meat though. I let the steaks come up to room temp then I season with either kosher salt or fluer de sel (French sea salt) and fresh cracked black pepper. I then clean the grill grate and apply a then coat of vegetable oil with a cotton bar towel, all of this is after the grill is pre-heated. Place the steaks on a HOT grill, wait 90 seconds then rotate the steak 90 degrees (don't flip it yet) to get nice cross hatch grill marks, wait another 90 seconds to 3 minutes depending on how thick the steak then flip, wait 90 seconds and rotate again, test for doneness, cook longer if needed. Remove the steaks from the grill and cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes, the internal temp of the meat will continue to rise another 5 to 10 degrees (referred to as carryover heat). This resting time will allow the heat to stabilize and for the juices to re-distribute and not leak out of the meat when you cut into it. If you want to make them extra special, top the cooked steaks with a compound butter. Mix one stick of softened butter with a tablespoon each of finely minced shallots, chives and garlic. Roll the mixture into a log in waxed paper and chill until firm. Slice off a 1/4 inch coin of butter for each steak and place on top before service. Serve all this with fries and you have the classic steak frites, best enjoyed with a nice Belgian ale.

Oh, and the meat should be DRY before you season or cook it. It will not get as good a crust on it if you cook it wet.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Oh, and the meat should be DRY before you season or cook it. It will not get as good a crust on it if you cook it wet.

I grilled some DelMonico steaks last nite during the storm. Brushed them down with Sweet Baby Rays new steak marinade a few hours ahead of time. Sprinkled 'em with McCormick Spicy Montreal seasonings. Wrapped some sliced mushrooms in foil with some SBRs , butter and a splash of Wish Bone Italian and put them in the top rack of the grill. They were excellent.

Was watching that 'Steak Paradise' show and they were at Peter Lugers in NY and they said something about how they 'dry age' their steaks. From the looks of them , I'd have thrown them out!
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    I adore dry aged beef. The beef from my dad's ranch always gets dry aged for at least 4 weeks. It's not the most appealing process to look at but the end product is well worth it.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,656 Senior Member
    Dry aged venison also works well...just not beyond medium.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the tips guys. The steaks were amazing!!! Definitely the best I have cooked yet. A little bit of playing with the new grill is in order, but the tips with the olive oil, spices, and rough time estimates were good. Some potatoes with Parmesan cheese and butter and some cucumbers rounded out the meal. not a bad dinner for a Sunday night.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,198 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Was watching that 'Steak Paradise' show and they were at Peter Lugers in NY and they said something about how they 'dry age' their steaks. From the looks of them , I'd have thrown them out!

Gotta agree with you on that one. As much as I love a good steak, I've just never been able to develop a taste for aged beef. A steak from Ruth's Chris Steak House makes me long for a peanut butter sandwich.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,978 Senior Member
    I worked at a Ground Round for awhile and we did this. Hold your palm open and flat and roll your small finger into your palm and poke the meaty area below your thumb with your other index finger, this soft feel compares to rare on a steak when you poke it. Roll your ringer finger down and poke it and this feels like medium rare. Three fingers is medium, 4 fingers is medium well and then roll the thumb in to complete a fist and this is well. Poke away.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Just do yourself a favor and cook with the heat and not the flame. Close the lid and let the heat work its wonders. Flipping to often will leave you with some charred turds. It should literally be 2 flips to cook them the way you want them to be. Any more and the natural juice/oil is gone.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I worked at a Ground Round for awhile and we did this. Hold your palm open and flat and roll your small finger into your palm and poke the meaty area below your thumb with your other index finger, this soft feel compares to rare on a steak when you poke it. Roll your ringer finger down and poke it and this feels like medium rare. Three fingers is medium, 4 fingers is medium well and then roll the thumb in to complete a fist and this is well. Poke away.

The link I posted early in the thread showed how to perform this check.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,978 Senior Member
    The link I posted early in the thread showed how to perform this check.

Sorry, I got home late and did not check any links:bang:, I also had to post it 2x since the text got deleted mid-post:bang::bang:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Steaks on the thin side, rub with good mustard half an hour or so before and leave in fridge, do not walk away from the grill once you put them there, you gonna have to figure out how long to cook as thickness and cut are gonna play into that, DO NOT stick them with anything, use some type of pliers to grab them and ones from your toolbox after cleaning them are better than a fork!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".