Home Main Category Personal Defense

Went to the range Saturday....

ADRidgeADRidge MemberPosts: 173 Member
Ended up running into our own SecondAmmendmentMan, who doesn't post here nearly as much as he should... I've gotta say, he's a great guy and really helped my girlfriend and I quite a bit. Thanks, bud!

I went out and tested my Ruger SP101, and I'm here to say that I love that snubbie! The first few cylinders were low, and some to the left, but once I got my act together, I was keeping a cylinder's worth almost touching at 5 yards. Once I get a little more comfortable with it, I'll extend the distance and really test it out, but it was a darn good first run and gave me a good idea of what it's capable of.

With the Hogue grips, 125gr and heavier .357 Mag aren't much of an issue at all. It's really quite a bit more manageable than I thought it would be. To the point that if I ever manage to find a good amount of .357 bulk ammo for a good price, I'll probably just practice with it.

But the most important reason we went out there was so my girlfriend could handle a few different pistols, test fire a few and settle on a good carry piece for her impending CHL. She hates the grip on my Glock, loves my Bersa, and is pretty much indifferent about everything else I own. I had a few guns in mind that I thought she might like to try, but the ones Matt aka secondammendmentman recommended were totally not even in my head. She liked the feel of the Ruger LC9, didn't care for the Kahr too much, and absolutely LOVED an S&W M&P9mm compact. Turns out they had one for rent as well, so we plunked down the six bucks and off we went.

This was her first group of the day with a gun she'd never fired before and PMC range ammo.

I'd post more, but honestly every group was like that. That flyer happened towards the end of the mag, but 11/12 isn't bad at all I'd say. She's only gone shooting a handful of times, so thankfully she doesn't have any bad habits to speak of. She didn't understand why everyone else was all over the paper at 5-7 yards when she was practically punching out the X every time.

Anyway, I just thought I'd brag a bit. I think we found her carry piece. She'll probably end up putting one on lay away here shortly.
In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Don't get that gal mad at you:jester:

Sounds like a good time for all at the range.:guns:

Women can surprise you with their shooting ability, at times. When I got my 686 with 6" bbl back in the 80s I took Mrs Chief to the range on Fort Sill OK. The first time she fired it @ 25 yards off a bench, she hit the X ring and put a few more in the X after that. She said it felt good in her hand and it was a "Good Gun". OK, I say it's mine, but it's hers, I just get to shoot it sometimes/ clean it/reload for it. And it was .357 ammo, not .38s she was shootin.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ADRidgeADRidge Member Posts: 173 Member
    Yeah she's a good learner. Before we started dating, she had literally only fired one shot from a firearm in her life. I taught her the basics, and we go out and practice the fundamentals a few times a year, but she's not what I'd call a "shooter" just yet. Well, I wouldn't have until this weekend.
    In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    It was a pleasure meeting the both of you.

I saw those targets first hand and that young lady can shoot, very well! Those targets were impresssive. I'm glad you guys got some shooting done. I hope the range wasn't too hot for you, it's brutal in the summer. Thanks for the kind words amigo and if you need anything at all, let me know. I want to see your M1 carbine one of these days!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Sounds like you both had a fun and productive time at the range. It should be this way all the time, we hope. Good luck with your gal's new pistol of choice. Seems she's found the right weapon, and kudos to you for taking the time for her to try various brands and find her good pick.