1st 10/22 build recommendations!

WtljWtlj MemberPosts: 66 Member
I have a plain black /stainless 10/22 carbine that I'm bored with. I've been researching a bit and would like to change out the barrel and stock. I will be using this gun for fun plinking and the occasional small varmint hunt in the woods.
I think I'm set on a 18" stainless fluted green mountain .920 barrel, but need help with stock.
I want a stock I don't have to worry about staying perfect. Here's the 2 I'm contemplating:
Hogue overmold
Boyds tacticool
The hogue has a forgiving rubber finish while the boyds can be refinished if scratches as its laminate and comes raw. I'm planning on buying a bipod off shopruger.com this week and upswing my bushnell 4-12x40 off my new savage combo gun ( if its not to big a d ugly for the 10/22).
I'm not looking for a backpack gun but don't want it so heavy it's no fun on the occasional squirrel hunt so maybe I'm in the wrong category.
Anyone have any experience with both of these stocks.
Thanks

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,736 Senior Member
    I like the Hogue overmold stock; I have one on one of my 10-22 rifles.

About that .920 stainless fluted barrel; it will increase the weight of the rifle by around 30-40%. I have one 10-22 with the 24" .920 bull barrel. It sucks as a squirrel rifle; way too muzzle heavy, and generally too heavy overall. I hunt with the standard carbine in the Hogue stock.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• WtljWtlj Member Posts: 66 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I like the Hogue overmold stock; I have one on one of my 10-22 rifles.

About that .920 stainless fluted barrel; it will increase the weight of the rifle by around 30-40%. I have one 10-22 with the 24" .920 bull barrel. It sucks as a squirrel rifle; way too muzzle heavy, and generally too heavy overall. I hunt with the standard carbine in the Hogue stock.

Do you think it would be to heavy with a 18" barrel (6" shorter)? Does the hogue stock flex enough to touch the barrel while on a bipod or sandbag?
    My Hogue stock doesn't flex. It's pretty stiff plastic.

Steel weighs app. .283 lb./cu. in. An 18" .920 barrel is about 3.5 lbs. A typical .22 rimfire barrel 18" long weighs around 1.5 lbs.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I have one down in the safe that I wanted to play with. Stock it shoots about a 3" group at 50 yards. I was looking at the 18" barrel too but I never could make up my mind about a stock. I saw one at the range 2 years ago for a bench type rifle that was purple/black/and grey. I thought it would be perfect for the gdaughter to learn on. Never seen that guy again and never saw a stock that I liiked.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
    tennmike wrote: »
    My Hogue stock doesn't flex. It's pretty stiff plastic.

Steel weighs app. .283 lb./cu. in. An 18" .920 barrel is about 3.5 lbs. A typical .22 rimfire barrel 18" long weighs around 1.5 lbs.

Excellent thanks for the info. So the 18" barrel would be about 1.1 lbs less than the 24". I just want the best of both worlds, I know you can't do every job with the same tool but trying to find a happy median.
    I found the hogue overmold stock on shopruger.com with rugers logo on it!
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Bell & Carlson makes a stock for the 10-22.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    bruchi wrote: »
    Bell & Carlson makes a stock for the 10-22.

Ill check that out.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    click the "poke here" in my sig...
    that one is factory original, but Fajen still makes the stock (just can't sell it in New York)
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Years ago I rebuilt a used 10/22 with a Butler Creek heavy barrel and synthetic stock, with a Volquartsen sear. For a total cost (rifle + upgrades + Nikon 3x9) of about $500, it now outshoots my buddy's stainless 10/22 Target with a Leupold scope that cost more than the rifle.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Wtlj wrote: »
    Ill check that out.

Didn't care much for the look of the bell and Carlson stocks. I think I've settled on the tacticool stock just undecided on a barrel now!
    Any more recommendations before I buy the tacticool stock and green mountain 18" fluted barrel? I'm considering sending my trigger group in to brimstone or Clark instead of buying new any advice?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    Go for it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    I've been reading up on match barrels having a hard time with bulk ammo. I definitely want to still shoot bulk ammo as well as the good stuff. Will I have a problem with all aftermarket barrels? Are they all match?
    I've been reading up on match barrels having a hard time with bulk ammo. I definitely want to still shoot bulk ammo as well as the good stuff. Will I have a problem with all aftermarket barrels? Are they all match?

A match chamber is dimensionally tighter than a regular .22 LR chamber. Match ammunition is held to tighter dimensional tolerances than bulk or even the non match boxed ammunition. You will have problems with some bulk ammo not feeding fully into the chamber if you get a match chamber. Like trying to fit six pounds of taters in a five pound tater sack.

After putting some thought into the build I decided to make it strictly for target/ plinking and when the market settles ill buy another one just for hunting. I'm going to keep saving money and change out most everything. I'm debating between sending my trigger and bolt to brimstone and que or upgrading them with new parts.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    After putting some thought into the build I decided to make it strictly for target/ plinking and when the market settles ill buy another one just for hunting. I'm going to keep saving money and change out most everything. I'm debating between sending my trigger and bolt to brimstone and que or upgrading them with new parts.

I would suggest to trick out the 10/22 for target work and buy a Marlin Model 60 for hunting and plinking. It's pretty accurate out of the box and it's light and handles very well for a hunting rig.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    The problem with increasing the diameter of any barrel is that to increase it enough to get some good accuracy wise, it's going to add a good bit of weight. Even 1/16 of an inch increase in barrel radius is substantial because of all the surface area you're covering. That's a lot of metal added to increase the radias 1/16". So if you go for a thick contour target barrel you should know that up front. That's not a bad thing necessarily, it just goes with the territory.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    For hunting, get a tactical soloutions or a whistle pig barrel. They are aluminium with a steel liner. VERY light weight.

Does anyone use the lighter barrels (whistle pig, tac ) for target or are they more geared to only hunting/plinking.
    I wouldn't mind doing DIY upgrades I'm very hands On. Just would need a good right up or guidance. My dad gave me a grand master action and trigger upgrade kit that I installed which included:
    -bell & Carlson extended mag release
    -automatic bolt release
    -reduced power hammer spring
    -reduced power trigger spring
    -reduced power sear spring
    -"match" oversize trigger sear pin
    -blue max bolt buffer (hardened core)
    -"match" hammer-trigger shims
    Kit is supposed to reduce trigger pull by 48% and clean up play in trigger.

I just figured with how cheap the kit was $40 on eBay from a few years back that was still new in package he didn't use, it would be best just to pull all that out and start over with brimstone or better parts or should I use that as a starting point?
    I think I've finally picked everything out but haven't ordered anything yet, let me know what you think.

Stock: boyds tacticool
    Barrel: 18" .920 SS Green Mountain
    Trigger: brimstone tier 2
    Bolt: Que rework
    Charging handle: kidd
    Guide rod and spring: kidd
    Bolt buffer: kidd
    Magazine release: ???
    Scope: ???
    I plan to polish and jewl my receiver, bolt and trigger myself, should be a fun project. Any other advice or things I should add to the mechanicals?
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,454 Senior Member
    Does anyone use the lighter barrels (whistle pig, tac ) for target or are they more geared to only hunting/plinking.

Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel.........

DSCN2076.jpg

Can do better with match ammo, but with these groups I haven't felt the need to spend $$$ on match ammo in some time. Can carry all day in the woods as it weighs nothing...

DSC01019.jpg?t=1249652469
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Can you recommend me a good scope for my 10/22 that's middle of the road to match my build. Budget is around $100-$150.

My intentions were to use the take off scope that came on my savage .223. It's a Bushnell 4-12x40 but after some research I learned the textile is different between a rimfire and center fire scope. So don't think it will work.
    Never mind after a few minutes of research the mueller apv 4.5-14x40 is the clear answer. Going to go with burris zee rings. What size should I get and what rail is good?