Home Main Category Hunting

Mountain Lions

2»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Never tried it, but would if I had the chance. A friend of mine has eaten some, and claims it's very good. And we have had this discussion before.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,924 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    You have to take all the fat off that raccoon before it's cooked. Once you do that it's not bad.
    Also helps to slow cook it with vegs similar as used in a pot roast.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Excellent point! How about a big helping of Javelina stew for ya'!!! "tooth:

I've had roast javelina that was excellent. The trick is to eat a young pig or sow, and avoid the old boars. Also, take ONLY the hind quarters, and be very careful how you remove those.
    Jerry

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I've had roast javelina that was excellent. The trick is to eat a young pig or sow, and avoid the old boars. Also, take ONLY the hind quarters, and be very careful how you remove those.
    Can you expand on this part? I may put in for an AZ javelin tag this coming fall and would like to know what's what with the meat and how to harvest it properly.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,462 Senior Member
    I'm from Louisiana and I thought we'd eat anything.

You guys make Andrew Zimmern look picky.

Between y'all and the cat hacking up hairballs on my shoes, you're making me want to barf.

Javalina..............Ah, Jerry.....I thought I knew you. Luis....it's not too late for you. You haven't eaten one of the rodent-pigs yet.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Luis....it's not too late for you. You haven't eaten one of the rodent-pigs yet.

Mike
    Funny you should word it like that. I haven't decided which one they really are yet.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,418 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Javalina..............Ah, Jerry.....I thought I knew you. Luis....it's not too late for you. You haven't eaten one of the rodent-pigs yet.

Mike

Think: soggy, glutinous, viscous mass of oily corruption and putrescence.

With that in mind, you won't be too surprised when you eat javelina.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Excellent point! How about a big helping of Javelina stew for ya'!!! "tooth:

Hey, don't forget..........we get stranded in the wilderness together...............you're top of the menu, brother.

:-)
    Funny I was thinking if that happened I would just use you as bait :tooth:

Only for something that eats cabbage.
  • SuperacercSuperacerc New Member Posts: 22 New Member
    I've had Cougar. Like most people here I think the cat had a very pork like texture. In fact we made pulled..... cougar BBQ sandwiches just like we do with pork back in GA where I'm from. It was delicious. The cougar was shot in the mountains west of Bear Lake Idaho with 4' of snow on the ground.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Can you expand on this part? I may put in for an AZ javelin tag this coming fall and would like to know what's what with the meat and how to harvest it properly.

It's been a while, but as I recall, we carefully skinned out just the hind quarters, and removed them from the rest of the body. A little ways up the back is a huge, black musk gland. I suspect it's more prominent on the older, bigger boars than on sows and young pigs. The main thing is to avoid this gland. Also, it's easy enough to identify the gland. If you ever see one, you will know it.
    Jerry

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Hoover Hog"
    Eisenhower Hog"
    "Reagan Hog"

They're all Groundhog/Woodchuck- - - - - -the dummycraps just change the president's name!
    Jerry
    Did anybody else se the video clip on Yahoo of the 3 mountain lions checking out the guy's house, caught on his video camera? The idiot says "I'm honored to live among them"- - - - -I wonder how honored he's going to feel when they're snacking on him? Those cats didn't look majestic- - - -they looked hungry!
    Jerry
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Missed that one, just what I would want, three large predators roaming around peeking in the windows. The mountain lions must have learned from the bears about tree huggers, they make great snacks! (Timothy Treadwell etc.)
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Hey, yuppies aren't nearly as fast as deer, or as smart! That's also in Colorado, so they won't be armed, either!
    Jerry
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hey, yuppies aren't nearly as fast as deer, or as smart! That's also in Colorado, so they won't be armed, either!
    Jerry

Thanks to their vegan diet they probably even taste like deer.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Good news is my running times are solid mid pack even at my age. I only have to outrun one.
    Since a cougar usually strikes from ambush, running isn't an option- - - - -you're lunch before you know it's there. Mountain lion attacks normally follow the same pattern.
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Since a cougar usually strikes from ambush, running isn't an option- - - - -Jerry

Yep. I got ambushed by one a couple of nights ago when I went to my usual Pub Quiz night. She leapt from the top of a bar stool when I pulled a $50 note from my wallet to pay for a round of drinks. She was one of four that were waiting in ambush.

They like to hang around watering holes.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • dlddld Member Posts: 425 Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not gonna say "never", but I've not been hungry enough to eat cat.

if you have eaten chinese food you have probably eaten cat already
  • wookiewookie Member Posts: 128 Member
    I had 20 acres in commiforna a few years ago.( before the divorce) had a big bunch of wild pig. I have seen pigs coming out of cow and horse carcasses many times. Growing up a friend and I ate or tried to eat every thing we shot. I have eatin redheaded woodpecker to ground squirrel. ( I don't recommend the squirrel ). Woodpecker and dumplings ain't bad. Had a horse die at cow camp once. It took us two days to cut it up we made jerky from it. Buried an old fridge and put it in there when it was done. Mule is on the stringy side so is coyot. I like beaver tail. I don't want to have to eat oppum again. The thought makes me quizzy.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The only meat I refuse to eat is possum. Lots of southern folks like them, but after seeing a mama and her litter nesting in a very stinky dead cow, I just can't do it.

So then you probably won't eat pork anymore either.:jester:

hoginbutt.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »

hoginbutt.jpg

No wonder you guys have a problem with wild hogs...........Over here our cows give birth to calves, not pigs!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Chris, I'm pretty sure that it's real. It was sent to me a few years back but when I lived in Texas, I witnessed a pretty vicious fight between a couple of wild hogs over the gutpile of a deer that I had just dressed. I was almost spitting distance from them and they were oblivious to me and they even ate all the dirt that blood had spilled on. The letter attached to that picture stated that the pig was taking a nap after feeding on the cow's internals.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me