Home Main Category Personal Defense

How do you handle "interactions" with LEOs when carrying?

2»

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Which is why I handed him both my CCL and DL at the same time. it 1) lets him know I'm "legal" to carry and 2) hints to my intentions of NOT trying anything "Stupid" or harmful to him, since I voluntarily gave up my "advantage" of surprise

Agreed. I always tell the LEO immediately that I'm armed and that I'm licensed. I however never reach for anything, license included, unless asked first. I keep my hands away from my body and let the words do the work, then if the LEO asks for the documents (he always has), it's at his orders that I'm reaching for my wallet.

In Texas the LEO is not required to disarm the carrier, only at the LEO's discretion. Most of the time I'm asked where I have the pistol, and then that I should not reach there, only elsewhere to retrieve my ID and so on. The only time the LEO asked to see the pistol was when he admired it (Springfield custom Operator -- my avatar pic) and he just wanted to admire the gun. It was cocked & locked, I told him so, he asked me to hand it over with just fingers on the grip, and that's how he held it, looked it over, handed it back. The pistol was loaded the whole time.

My entire experience with Texas and Houston LEOs has been totally positive and that makes me happy.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Agreed. I always tell the LEO immediately that I'm armed and that I'm licensed. I however never reach for anything, license included, unless asked first. I keep my hands away from my body and let the words do the work, then if the LEO asks for the documents (he always has), it's at his orders that I'm reaching for my wallet.
    Sam, if you re-read the first post, I had a few minutes before he caught up with me, and I found a safe place to pull over. By the time he was walking to my truck, I'd long since already had them in my hand.
    AAMOF, I'm pretty sure I had them out before he ever caught up to me
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Sam, if you re-read the first post, I had a few minutes before he caught up with me, and I found a safe place to pull over. By the time he was walking to my truck, I'd long since already had them in my hand.
    AAMOF, I'm pretty sure I had them out before he ever caught up to me

Ah, okay, good. As long as you've got some "clear time" to dig in your pockets for ID before the LEO has you in his vision, sounds just fine. I've been cautioned by my self defense coaches and by LEOs that you should never be "active" in the car unless you're asked specifically, and instead to simply sit still, car in park, no theatrics, and just keep hands on the wheel and wait till instructed. Of course if you have time, sure, get our your IDs.

In my case, usually the LEO's car is already behind me and I'm pulled over for something. In that event, better to let the LEO initiate the wallet-retrieval on his request. But before I ever move, regardless, I tell the LEO that I'm armed and licensed. The more info available to the LEO the sooner, the better.