Home Main Category Hunting

Coyote Calling Today

1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior MemberPosts: 1,648 Senior Member
No work today so I tried calling some Wileys this AM. It was 11 degrees with no wind around 8 this morning and at the first set one poked his head out of some brush about 500 yards out, barely two minutes into calling. While Ernie B might slam dunk this guy, it was to far a shot for me to try. I waited him out and he retreated back into the brush after 5 minutes or so. I then tried another set about a 1/4 mile away in a pasture that is also mowed for hay where I called one in a month or so ago. Setting up on the fence line I placed the caller about 50 yards away in the corner of the fence near a draw where the last coyote appeared. Started the call with "Lightning Jack" and some coaxer squeaks when approximately 4-5 minutes into calling a coyote charges in from my left, right up to the call- while it was still wailing full blast. With no time to fool with the call I crosshaired him and put a 55g nosler ballistic tip in his chest. He ran about ten steps and rolled up. Turned out to be a large male wiley. I tried two more promising areas before coming home with no takers, this will probably be the last dedicated coyote hunt as Spring turkey season is less than a week away now. I was using an electronic call for the bulk of the calling today and can without reservation am a believer in the remote caller being a great tool for varmint calling.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,287 Senior Member
    Congratulations!...It was a beautiful day today, perfect for hunting....I, however, was burning brush....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    No wind and a little snow cover is a good time for getting rid of brush piles without burning EVERYTHING up in the pasture. Last year at this time we had all the Spring burning done by now.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Awesome! Snowing off and on all day here, and I was stuck running errands.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY