Home Main Category Hunting

New hunting regs for Kansas. YES!!!!

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 17,316 Senior Member
.223s and other hot-rod 22's are now legal for deer in Kansas....about time!......

http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/22/2727315/commission-oks-equipment-changes.html#storylink=cpy'

TOPEKA — Kansas hunters now have more choices for what equipment they can use during deer and turkey seasons.
The Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commission unanimously approved all of the department’s requests for liberalizing weapon and other equipment restrictions during a meeting Thursday evening.
• Crossbows will now be legal for all hunters during archery deer seasons. Previously they were only legal for those with approved physical limitations, those 15 and under and 55 and older, in four deer management units involved in a two-year study. The restriction saying all crossbows had to have at least 120 pounds of pull was also removed.
• Any centerfire rifle or handgun cartridge can now be used for big game hunting during the appropriate firearm season.
• Slugs can now be used in any gauge shotgun for deer hunting, rather than 20 gauge or larger.
The restriction saying all crossbows had to have at least 120 pounds of pull was also removed.
• Most electronic devices attached to bows are now legal, including such things as attached cameras, and rangefinders. Also, radio frequency devices attached to arrows are also legal.
• Any shotgun, regardless of gauge, can now be used for turkey hunting. Before, it was only shotguns 20 gauge or larger.
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    :up:That is cool, I know why you must be excited, that is good news indeed.:applause:
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Wow, what a change- is a .204 centerfire? This just gave me 3 new deer rifles...
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,602 Senior Member
    Nice
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    .17 Remington, baby! Ok, I kid.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Wow, what a change- is a .204 centerfire? This just gave me 3 new deer rifles...

Yes it is.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,316 Senior Member
    I've been advocating expanding caliber restrictions as long as I've lived here...the advances in bullet design make the .223, .22-250, etc viable deer cartridges...however, the way this particular law is written opens the door to all manner of stupidity.....got to take the bad with the good I guess. Now, if they would just open up fall turkeys to rifle hunting, I'd be content...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Now, if they would just open up fall turkeys to rifle hunting, I'd be content...

.22 WMR is THE rifle for turkeys. Get the gobbler facing you and put the bullet at the base of the neck. I've shot a lot of domestic turkeys with the .22 WMR and it gets the job done with minimal meat damage.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Good deal! I hope more states follow suit.
    Maybe one day we'll be allowed to use a rifle.:roll:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,316 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »

Actually, IIRC correctly, the .204 has been legal in Nebraska for a few years now and with a properly placed bullet does a good job.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Just in time for me to come back for rifle season this year! Oh Jeff.......
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    We can use 223 and bigger on deer and antelope here now as well. And they also changed the regs so that grand old cartridges like the 38 and 44 wcf's are legal biggame rounds. Maybe we're seeing the ending of the magnumitis?
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,269 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    • Any centerfire rifle or handgun cartridge can now be used for big game hunting during the appropriate firearm season.

I wanna use my .32acp......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,269 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Well I want to use a .25 acp.....rifle. And I know where I can get one. :tooth:

The .25acp is only double the lethality of the .270..... Figure I'd go with the big bore!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    When I heard this I thought of you Scott, it won't change what I hunt with but the change was overdue. I still want to take a deer with the 25-20 but it would have to be a close up.