Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are on a roll- Another Filibuster threat

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,142 Senior Member
This time: Guns!
“We will oppose the motion to proceed to any legislation that will serve as a vehicle for any additional gun restrictions,” the three conservatives wrote in a copy of the signed letter obtained by POLITICO.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/rand-paul-and-ted-cruz-threaten-filibuster-on-guns-89299.html

If nothing else, it should drive that gun Grabber McCain right over the damned edge. That would be awesome.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I was kind of ambivalent with my opinion of Cruz and Rand Paul for a while, but they are rapidly changing my mind. Good to see some real 'fire in the belly' stands from these newer guys that isn't just a flash in the pan and then nothing past that. A movement starts with one or two, and then gains momentum when others see it working and step up with support and help make the stand. I hope they continue and drive the government back towards the Constitution.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I am really liking these guys. Has anyone ever seen Cruz's resume? His work history is brilliant. He went to the right schools, worked with the right people, and fought for the right causes. He is one of those evil genius slimy maggot lawyers that make your skin curl-- but he is on our side, so it is funny to watch him in action making mincemeat of the opposition. He is fairly young too (my age-- 42) so it looks like he has a long future in politics.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Ok another question: Since Cruz was born in Canada to American parents and is an American citizen by birth-right can he become president? The constitution requires one to be a "natural born" citizen. I've seen this as either being born on US soil or anyone who is granted US citizenship at birth (eg. someone born abroad to parents who are US citizens). I don't believe the supreme court has ever had to rule on this? Could become an interesting test if he and Paul keep it up and become top candidates in '16.

I think he can. McCain was born in Panama to American parents, and he was eligible to run.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Like I defended Obama in the past-- Both of them were born from American citizen mothers which makes them natural born Americans no matter where they were squeezed out. If both of their parents were non US citizens and they were born out of the country is where there would be an issue. The whole "birther" thing was/is stupid in the first place.
    -Thomas Paine
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Does "Headline Grabber" ring a bell?
    Time will tell.
    I'm gonna wait and see.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Senator McCain was born in Panama while his father was stationed there. He and Mr. Cruz are both American citizens, even though they were born overseas.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Cruz or Paul running for higher office? Never happen.

The Republican establishment won't allow it and will put up whoever's turn it is next. That's how it works.

Jeb Bush, possibly would get the nod but I think the establishment would be scared of a dynasty. I don't know who else would be up.
    Wasn't McCain born on a US military base? Why was the birther thing so important? Why would it have mattered if Obama was born in HI or Kenya since he would have been a citizen either way.

That was what was incredibly stupid and a gigantic waste of time and effort about the whole "birther" mess. His mom was a citizen so the question was always moot. Instead of focusing on his policies people were fixated on the stupid birther stuff making themselves look like idiots.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Buffco wrote: »
    Cruz or Paul running for higher office? Never happen.

The Republican establishment won't allow it and will put up whoever's turn it is next. That's how it works.

Jeb Bush, possibly would get the nod but I think the establishment would be scared of a dynasty. I don't know who else would be up.

I'm afraid you are right Buffy, the establishment still hasn't figured out why McCain and Romney lost.
    I don't know. The democratic establishment wanted Hillary in '08 but we got Obama anyway because he was that much better in the campaign. I agree though that the R establishment is a bit more powerful and is exactly why you guys ended up with Romney despite the fact that no one really liked him that much.

That, and everyone else essentially sucked. Cruz and Paul are the types of people that make me not abandon the Republican party altogether. The libertarian wing really needs to step in to save it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    I just called Senators Ted Cruz (TX. one of my Senators) Rand Paul (TN.) and Mike Lee (UT) offices to thank them for their strong defense of the Second amendment. And to offer my support and thanks for plans for a filibuster, if necessary, to stop any parliamentary tricks from being used to sneak any gun control measures through the Senate.

I would suggest that we contact these three gentleman and offer your thanks and support. Please call your Senators and ask them to support these Senators and to be on the look out for any parliamentary attempts (tricks) that Mr. Reid, and others may have planned in their gun control scheme.

We all need to keep in contact our representatives and make sure they know we are paying attention to what they are doing. Especially if they are fair weather 2ND amendment supporters or anti 2ND.

A side note, much to my surprise an actual person answered the phone at Senator Mike Lee's office. I had a short and pleasant exchange with the gentleman who answered the phone.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: