Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Update on the Mark Kelly story....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,914 Senior Member
Gun store rescinds Mark Kelly's rifle purchase, questions his 'intent'

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/25/gun-store-rescinds-mark-kelly-rifle-purchase-questions-his-intent/

Here's the best part...

He (the store owner) added that the store will return Kelly's money, donate the rifle to the Arizona Tactical Officers Association to be raffled as a fundraiser and make an additional contribution of $1,295 -- the value of the rifle -- to the Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program.
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    DO- - - -NOT- - - - -CLICK- - - -ON- - - - -THAT- - - -LINK!

It locked up my computer to the point I had to use the power switch to shut down! Something in there captures the cursor and won't let you take control of shutting anything off- - - -no telling what sort of malware is being installed once it captures control of the screen.
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Not sure what was going on with that Jerry...Sorry....I deleted the original link and replaced it with the one directly from Fox News..at any rate...here's the article's text

"A Tucson gun store owner has decided to rescind the sale of a military-style rifle to Mark Kelly, the husband of former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, after Kelly said he had intended the purchase to make a political point about how easy it is to obtain the kind of firearms he's lobbying Congress to ban.

Kelly's March 5 purchase of an AR-15-style rifle and a 45.-caliber handgun at Diamondback Police Supply sparked a frenzy of reaction from both sides of the debate after he posted to Facebook a photo of himself shopping.

A background check took only a matter of minutes to complete, Kelly said in the Facebook post, adding that it's scary to think people can buy similar guns without background checks at gun shows or on the Internet.

But Kelly couldn't immediately take possession of the rifle because the shop had bought it from a customer. As a result, the store is required by a Tucson ordinance to hold the gun for 20 days to give the city enough time to make sure the weapon wasn't used in a crime.

Store owner Doug MacKinlay said Monday in a Facebook post of his own that he "determined that was in my company's best interest to terminate this transaction prior to his returning to my store."

"While I support and respect Mark Kelly's 2nd Amendment rights to purchase, possess, and use firearms in a safe and responsible manner, his recent statements to the media made it clear that his intent in purchasing the Sig Sauer M400 5.56mm rifle from us was for reasons other then for his personal use," MacKinlay said in the statement.

He added that the store will return Kelly's money, donate the rifle to the Arizona Tactical Officers Association to be raffled as a fundraiser and make an additional contribution of $1,295 -- the value of the rifle -- to the Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program.

Kelly's purchase of the guns sparked accusations of hypocrisy from gun-rights supporters, with many on Facebook focusing on his motivations and the rules for purchasing such guns. Kelly, a former astronaut, said he intended to eventually hand in the rifle to Tucson police but planned to keep the handgun.

Kelly and Giffords started a gun control advocacy group, Americans for Responsible Solutions, amid the wave of recent mass shootings. They have been touring the country in recent months in support of expanded background checks for gun purchases.

Kelly bought the guns at a Tucson shop the day before he appeared with his wife at the supermarket where she was wounded during a shooting rampage that left six dead and 12 others injured two years ago. Giffords resigned from Congress last year as she continues to recover from her injuries."
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Same thing happened to me. My computer rebooted.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,643 Senior Member
    Did you see where his dog attacked a poor defenseless seal? He can't even control that responsibly...
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Gotta love the store owner! Glad he stopped the purchase.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Did you see where his dog attacked a poor defenseless seal? He can't even control that responsibly...

Maybe it as the story I read but I do think think it was his dog. Someone please prove me wrong on this one.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    According to the article I read, it was his step-daughter's dog.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    I thought Kelly's logic on the rifle purchase was seriously flawed.

Paraphrasing his thinking, this is what I'm hearing...

"I just went through the government-mandated background check in order to take possession of this rifle. After the shop goes through its twenty-day period as the state goes through its check to make sure this rifle is not guilty of being used in a crime, I will then be able to take it home.

"It astounds me that such a rifle is so easy to get without a background check, which by the way I was just subjected to, and despite the fact that I am a law-abiding citizen fully able to pass such a check, I will still have to wait for twenty days in order to take possession of this possibly evil rifle which may have committed a crime at some point or other.

"Once big brother says I'm ok and the rifle's ok, I get to take it home. But it's scary that someone can just walk in and buy such a rifle."

He-lloooooo la-la land, population one.
    Only someone bent on the total revocation of a God given right would consider a twenty day waiting period as being too easy.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Why should it be surprising that an astronaut passed a background check? Those guys are checked out and psych evaluated 9 ways to Sunday.

Unless he has something to hide....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    Why should it be surprising that an astronaut passed a background check? Those guys are checked out and psych evaluated 9 ways to Sunday.

Unless he has something to hide....
    Yep, it's not like one of them would put on a pair of "depends" and drive half way across the country to kidnap a romantic rival :silly:
    :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Yep, it's not like one of them would put on a pair of "depends" and drive half way across the country to kidnap a romantic rival :silly:

Nicely played sir! :beer:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    :tooth:[/QUOTE

Makes you wonder how good those psych tests really are doesn't it?
    I think that one was on her way to a down-checking on the psych test, but yeah. The thing is, Kelly was (supposedly) never in danger of that sort of thing, so it's not like it would show up on a background check. Next thing you know, we'll find out a Secret Service agent is legally allowed to buy a firearm!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    As long as we don't find out NYC cops can buy firearms.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    I think that one was on her way to a down-checking on the psych test, but yeah. The thing is, Kelly was (supposedly) never in danger of that sort of thing, so it's not like it would show up on a background check. Next thing you know, we'll find out a Secret Service agent is legally allowed to buy a firearm!
    I know, my friend.:beer:
    I was just making the point that just because a person has passed a psychological background check, doesn't always mean their elevator reaches the top floor. So even if they required them for firearm purchases, it wouldn't stop all the "loonies"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Seeing dash cam video of some of the legally-armed steroid enthusiasts who "protect and serve" us every day makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about letting a bunch of psychologists, bureaucrats, and political panderers decide who gets to be armed- - - - -yes it does!
    Jerry
    I know, my friend.:beer:
    I was just making the point that just because a person has passed a psychological background check, doesn't always mean their elevator reaches the top floor. So even if they required them for firearm purchases, it wouldn't stop all the "loonies"
    Oh, I agree. I don't know if the loony one snapped, had a mental episode, or what, but she did lose it in a major way.
    Overkill is underrated.