Home Main Category Clubhouse

Influenza is a Killer!

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
Sunday was the beginning of a nightmare for me. I had a virus doing its best to kill me. As a healthcare worker, I have to get the flu shot every year. I got mine in November. But Sunday, Influenza "A" found a way to invade my defenses (I probably caught it from a patient).

As we age, we lose some of the defenses that we need to fight off some of these viruses, but this "A" is no joke! It's related to the avian flu and this thing can kill you! I started with hot fevers 103 + that would come on like gang busters in about 30 minutes and last for 6 or 7 hours despite massive doses of anti-pyretics. These fevers came on every 12 hours and each one left me more depleted and weakened. Couple this with a build up of mucous in the lungs and head that caused wracking coughing, hacking and gagging.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday this just kept reoccurring with the last fever ending about 8pm last night. I expected another fever during the night, but it never came. Now, today, I'm actually feeling almost normal, with the exception of being weak as a kitten and sweating buckets with every little effort. I believe I've beaten it.

If we ever have another flu like the one that hit us in 1918, we will see just how vulnerable we are to little bugs. If I had been elderly, with a compromised immune system and living alone, I might have laid down and never gotten up. The 1918 flu killed strapping big guys in just a couple of days. They'd lay down to bed and never get up again.

This one really sucks.
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Glad you are feeling better Dan. That flu sounds like a really bad one.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The 1918 flu epidemic killed my grandparents' infant son, the only boy they ever managed to have. They went on to raise three daughters, including my Mother who was the youngest, born in 1924. She's 88 now, and she and Dad would both be vulnerable to another flu outbreak. Those of us with elderly parents or grandparents need to be especially careful about not spreading illnesses when we visit them. I had an episode of flu in the late 1970's that put me down for 4 days- - - -chills, fever, nausea, and having to have the bedclothes changed 2-3 times a day from soaking them with sweat. First you're afraid you'll die, and then you're afraid you won't!
    Jerry
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Glad you're OK, Dan. Look on the bright side - you'll never get that strain again...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Glad you're feeling better and getting over that flu. The symptoms you described is what I put up with for two weeks starting on Jan. 2nd. This flu is a bad one. It left me with a parting gift of bronchitis, and when I kicked the bronchitis, I ended up with a cold as a final parting gift. For two months, I didn't do much at all.

First time I've had the flu in about twenty years. That time was a lot worse than this one, though. I didn't clog up the doctor's office this time around; just stayed home and dealt with it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Glad the worst is over Dan, healthcare workers get to be in the bulls-eye for all of the fun little bugs. Rest up and keep the fluids going. I caught a flu from a patient about fifteen years ago that was the worst I ever had. All five of us that had contact were sick within three days. My wife asked me at one point what she could do to help me. I pointed her towards the gun cabinet, short of that some more 7-Up would be nice. :jester:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    :angel: The virus I had last week was a walk in the park
    as compared to your episode.
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    Glad the worst is over Dan, healthcare workers get to be in the bulls-eye for all of the fun little bugs.

Yeah, it's the hospital's fault...They've GOT to stop letting all those sick people in there!
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Hope you're doing better Dan......I've have the Flu twice this season, and both times I've "drank it off" per se the old German method.....get extremely drunk on Bourbon, and flush and rehydrate with water....seems to work. I'm not sure of the medical specifics....but the alcohol seems to alleviate the phlegm and chest congestion, and the dehydration headaches, and the body aches. You're gonna poo your butt off......but better to flush it all out. The key is the massive hydration......for that it's a surgary drink like Lemonade, I'm talking gallons of it!

Influenza changes every year, Vaccination doesn't work, quit wasting you time and money, let your body deal with it and learn how to combat the symptoms in the most efficient way.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    dlk wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the hospital's fault...They've GOT to stop letting all those sick people in there!

I have always said "I wouldn't mind the med calls if weren't for the patients."
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    The Public Sucks.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 743 Senior Member
    Being a Respiratory therapist, I can fully agree with Dan on the effects on the compromised patients. Children don't have the lung volume needed to move the mucous, same with the elderly with diminished lung capacities. One thing that seems to help is the mucolytics that you can buy OTC, such as Mucinex or the generic of it.

Be very careful not to over exert yourself for a bit Dan, this stuff can rebound and the recurrence of it is resistant to drugs the second time around. Glad you're doing beter, but take it easy for a bit.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Seems to be on the mend. I'm coughing my left lung up every 40 minutes or so, but in between, I'm almost normal. Minor exertions and I sweat like a horse but I can finally breathe thorough my nose. No fever in the last 36 hours. Next flu season I'm gonna mask up every time I'm in a patient's room who has the flu!
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Good to hear that you have shaken most of it off Dan. Hope you are back to your normal self soon.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I got a flu shot once.
    I was never as sick in my entire life.
    I've made the decision never again to introduce into my body a virus like that.
    I'll take my chances.