Home Main Category Clubhouse

Happy Easter!

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,496 Senior Member
Wishing all of you a Happy Easter!
I have been out of country for about 10 days training preachers in Haiti, and just recently got back.
In just a few minutes I will get to spend Easter with my church family. It is good to be home.
May each of you have blessed day.
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Welcome back, and Happy Easter to you!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Welcome back and happy Easter to all.

Girlfriend and I attended my snooty Episcopal church today for the "Rite 1"** (high church and extra snooty) services, full choir, plus "smells & bells" (incense and sanctus bells). Good music, though and a truly decent congregation where I attend, a fairly large church across the street from Rice University. Not a "megachurch" mind you, just a regular type church with a fairly divergent membership, some faculty and students, business folk, and then riffraff like me. Episcopal churches tend to be a bit upscale, particularly the urban ones, but the folks here are pretty okay.

Had to laugh... We got to church a bit early and sat on the patio/garden area before the main service began. Just prior, the "family friendly" Rite 2 (less snooty) service had let out, and kids swarmed the patio area, all looking for Easter egg candy treats folks had laid out all around.

This one little girl was trying to corner the market. She was running everywhere, grabbing the plastic eggs (each opened to a chunk of fudge or other candy inside) and she'd pulled her fine new Easter dress up to make a basket into which she kept dumping the eggs. She had more than a dozen and the skirt was overflowing, so each time she stuffed another egg into her pile, another egg fell out the other side. So she was spinning around grabbing the same eggs over and over.

Finally she quit and went over to a patio table and dumped her eggs out onto the table, and before her father could get to her, had opened 3 or 4 of them and crammed the candy into her mouth. Her cheeks were full and she was still trying to unwrap more eggs. Her father gently retrieved about half her haul, and began to put them back on the patio garden area for other kids to find. Naturally the little girl was angry at Dad and protested. Everyone was laughing, seeing this little girl being so greedy.

** Episcopal churches are probably the most formal of all Protestant, having their origin from "C of E" (Church of England) and members of the worldwide Anglican conference. Episcopal services tend to be "snooty" as I joke, with a sung mass, full choir, lots of Bach and Haydn and Handel, priests who wear clerical garb and are very much similar to Roman Catholic in their services. However, priests have always been allowed to marry, and the Episcopal church has ordained women for many years --- in fact the US presiding bishop, who represents the church overall, is a woman. Episcopalians have a widely varied type of church service, too, with Rite 1 being the more formal, Rite 2 being less so. Most larger churches will have one of each type of service per Sunday. I've always enjoyed the more formal language and what is known as "high church" trimmings. The church where I go is more "high" (formal) than most but still has a widely varied congregation and is always having good social programs, too. If you've been to a Rite 1 Episcopal service, you'll see few differences in the prayers and such from a Roman Catholic service, except of course that the communion may be presided over by a female priest. Anyway... Happy Easter to all!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Well, with a last name like Bishop, you might as well be training preachers. Carry on with the Lord's work. Happy Easter!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Happy Easter a day late. We attended sun-rise services at 6:30 yesterday morning, had a pot-luck breakfast at the church, and then enjoyed the Easter sermon. Finished the day by watching the last episode of "The Bible".

It was a great day!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.