30-06 Winchester Hunting Ammo

crashbro744crashbro744 New MemberPosts: 20 New Member
I have been happy with the results of Winchester ammo I have been using over the past several years. This is only the 2nd expanded bullet we have found over the years, usually a complete pass through. My father shot a doe at about 75 yards facing him, found the bullet the the back-end, Heart and other items were a liquid mush. They work great for me on TN whitetail.

165 grain Winchester XP2 Pointed Soft Points

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,147 Senior Member
    Rem PSP do that as well.
    This message has been deleted
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    That's about as perfect as it gets!

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I have been happy with the results of Winchester ammo I have been using over the past several years. This is only the 2nd expanded bullet we have found over the years, usually a complete pass through. My father shot a doe at about 75 yards facing him, found the bullet the the back-end, Heart and other items were a liquid mush. They work great for me on TN whitetail.

165 grain Winchester XP2 Pointed Soft Points

Winchester and Remington both make excellent hunting bullets. I've killed deer with both. Now I'm using a lot of the Combined Technology bullets which are a joint venture between Nosler bullets and Winchester. For deer and hogs they work very well, but probably not much better than the regular old silver box Winchesters.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,452 Senior Member
    Good results.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,341 Senior Member
    Stick with whacha know, looks like you already have a winner.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Win73Win73 Member Posts: 41 Member
    NN wrote: »
    Rem PSP do that as well.

I use the Remington 150 grain CoreLokt PSP in my '06. It has performed very well for me. I have fired it eleven times at deer and one time at a coyote and have killed eleven deer and one coyote. The range varied from 25 to 125 yards. All were clean one shot kills except the last one and that was my fault, not the cartridge. I rushed the shot at a walking deer at 75 yards and didn't draw a good bead on him. If I had shot two inches higher, I would have missed him. As it was I blew out three or four inches of his spine. You can see part of the exit hole behind his right antler. He dropped where I shot him because he couldn't use his hind legs. When I walked up to him he was still very much alive. He was lieing there with his head up looking around. He would have died eventually but it probably would have taken several days. So I finished him with a .45 Colt slug out of my Ruger Blackhawk.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:
    (Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    Win73 wrote: »
    I use the Remington 150 grain CoreLokt PSP in my '06. It has performed very well for me. I have fired it eleven times at deer and one time at a coyote and have killed eleven deer and one coyote. The range varied from 25 to 125 yards. All were clean one shot kills except the last one and that was my fault, not the cartridge. I rushed the shot at a walking deer at 75 yards and didn't draw a good bead on him. If I had shot two inches higher, I would have missed him. As it was I blew out three or four inches of his spine. You can see part of the exit hole behind his right antler. He dropped where I shot him because he couldn't use his hind legs. When I walked up to him he was still very much alive. He was lieing there with his head up looking around. He would have died eventually but it probably would have taken several days. So I finished him with a .45 Colt slug out of my Ruger Blackhawk.

I shoot a lot of animals in the spine. It puts em down right now. If they're still kicking when you get there, they will usually die pretty quick because a severed spine interferes with breathing and heart beat. You might think he looks like he will not succumb for awhile, but it won't take him long to fall over.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,140 Senior Member
    For years Winchester Power Points have been my favorite factory ammo for 30/30 and 30/06.

Remington Core-lok ammo is hard to beat also. My rifles just seem to be more accurate with Winchester.

In hand loads I have a strong preference for Sierra and Nosler projectiles.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I like Federal Fusion 150's for deer, took 180's to Africa and they did outstanding...
    Win73 wrote: »

Actually about everything has performed well in my 06. The damn thing doesn't know how not to kill. It makes me look pretty good sometimes.
  • Rim PhyrRim Phyr Member Posts: 71 Member
    Man that's some strong medicine. Anything in '06 is a potent potion it's a great round.
    Nice pix, good expansion.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    Rim Phyr wrote: »
    Man that's some strong medicine. Anything in '06 is a potent potion it's a great round.
    Nice pix, good expansion.
    Thanks for sharing.

I know this thread is old, but I can't help but add again, it's not so much which brand or style of bullet as it is the cartridge. The 30-06 in my opinion is about the perfect cartridge for hunting medium size game and on up to some pretty big critters.

I hunt with other rifles and cartridges mainly because I like to try new things and different guns to keep from getting bored, because an 06 will kill with Boring regularity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.