Home Main Category General Firearms

Quick, stupid question. Can my MN 91/30 be rebarreled?

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Barrels are supposed to be threaded to fit the Mosin per the advertisement. Still have to diddle with the extractor clearance cut, and remove that superfluous mass of metal in front of the chamber.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    My question is why you would want to rebarrel it? I doubt that barrel is shot out. But there's just too many other rifles out there to be butchering a 91/30, this coming from the butcher of the Yugo Mauser himself, LOL! Of course the 91/30 is common as chickens right now. But still It is a great rifle with a great history.
    The Yugo 24/47 was made after WWII and is not rare either. The main problem with altering a 91/30 is it doesn't sporterize well or easy. It's just the way it's designed. If you want something to play with like that, get a Yugo. You can have one for under $200 still I think. I paid $159 for my most expensive one and they can be sporterized easily. Also there's barrels everywhere that fit it. It's just a lot better choice to mess with. Also another option is to go on one of the gun auction sites and buy a Savage. Then you can make a really cool, accurate rifle in whatever caliber you want for much cheaper. I just bougth a Model 110 in 7 Rem. Mag. for $205 + $25 shipping on an auction on Gun Broker. :tooth:

This project is NOT a Re-barrel, you buy a receiver and barrel for a C-Note, ( $100 ) either buy a standard bolt, or grab parts off an existing, perhaps even shot out MN, and if you can't install / head-space it, there are enough gunsmiths that can do it at a reasonable price, its a nice project in any case, cheap too if you do not go hog wild.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996