Home Main Category General Firearms

My "really" stupid shotgun question

bruchibruchi Senior MemberPosts: 2,581 Senior Member
Okay, got a FN SLP Mark 1 semiauto 12 gauge (8+1 capacity) I use mostly for the 3 gun matches, came with 2 chokes, one has 3 dots in front and the other 4, can't recall which they are right now but the one with the 4 dots in front works fine in the matches dealing with the bunch of metal targets we use. I also on occasion take it to the range to shoot slugs at 100 yards, thing is quite accurate, for that I use the choke with the 3 dots in front.

So I like to get the same chokes but the extended ones, thing they are made by Briley? The ones you don't need a tool to swap, so what are this chokes called? Also any suggestions on better options for both uses are welcomed, whatever will aid with accuracy and reliability with slugs and then for dealing with lots of metal targets around 4-6" at 10-30 yards.

I been told a bunch of stuff and I am confused, like that I will ruin my shotgun if I shoot slugs with the choke with the 4 dots or with no choke at all, last one kinda makes sense, others tell me that I can shoot whatever out of either choke as long as it is not "steel" ammo, please I need to be educated on chokes big time!
If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    3 dots = modified 4 dots = improved cylinder

http://www.nevadashooters.com/archive/index.php/t-19788.html
    Shotgun chokes are a constriction in the barrel of a shotgun through which the shot string must pass before it exits the muzzle. This amount of constriction is a constant, no matter what the gauge or bore of the shotgun.

Here are the now standard constrictions for the various chokes. You would subtract the constriction from the nominal bore diameter to find what the exit diameter of the barrel would be, or , conversely, you could measure the exit diameter, subtract it from the nominal bore diameter and determine what the choke is if the barrel or choke tube is not marked.

The constrictions presented below are in the order of increasing constriction, from no constriction to most constrictive. Their abbreviations are also shown, along with the number of dots, notches, or Stars, or other physical markings that are used to identify them. Not all choke sizes utilize this method of identifying their constriction, just the more common sizes as you will see.

Cylinder bore = the nominal bore of the gauge or bore you are dealing with. Five Notches, Dots or Stars.
    Skeet1 = 0.005” No dots/notches etc.
    Skeet2 = 0.0075” No dots/notches etc.
    Improved Cylinder = 0.010” 4 Notches, Stars or Dots
    Light Modified (LM) = 0.015” No dots/notches etc.
    Modified (M) = 0.020” 3 Dots, Stars or Notches.
    Improved Modified (IM) = 0.030” 2 Dots, Notches or Stars
    Light Full (LF) 0.035”, No dots/notches/stars, etc.
    Full (F) = 0.040” 1 Star, Dot or Notch
    Improved Full = 0.050” No dots/notches/stars, etc.
    Extra Full (EF) = 0.060” No dots/notches/stars, etc.
    Turkey Full (TF) = 0.080” No dots/notches/stars, etc.
    Super Full (SF) = 0.10” No dots/notches/stars, etc.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :usa: while we are on the subject tennmike is correct I have a 870 wingmaster Remington 12 gauge with interchangable chokes. Mine has the dots on the choke tubes just like tennmike says.. In my case, I would buy a slug barrel if I wanted to shoot slugs....
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Tenmike, thanks a lot, that list puts all in perspective and it is a great guide, I am saving that one!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    You're welcome! Sometimes it's hard to find the info you need. We all gotta help each other find stuff!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Thanks a lot tenmike, I am gonna try the improved modified for the IPSC 3 gun matches and see, I am putting that list on my phone for reference!

No idea if they make a slug barrel for my shotgun and I don't shoot so many to consider one a the moment so please someone recommend the best choke to shoot slugs from this thing.
    Browning makes a rifled choke tube to fit your shotgun. They aren't as good as a fully rifled barrel, but for ranges less than 50 yards are more than adequate. From what I can find, your FN shotgun uses the Browning Invector chokes. Makes sense, as Browning is FN.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=133894
    ― Douglas Adams