Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Members of Congress underpaid?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,722 Senior Member
That's what some of them think. Say they're living paycheck to paycheck, have to have police protection, long hours means low hourly pay, are cut off from family businesses...

Here's something to think about: they ran for the jobs. Spent multiple months campaigning. It's not like anyone forced them to take it. They asked for the job.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/members-congress-paid-enough-165641960.html
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If that filth were paid what they're worth, they'd OWE money to the treasury.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    They need to go home and get a job, I guess. We were intended to have a government that serves a public that doesn't really want much from government.

I would be quite pleased if newly elected Congressmen could only afford to serve one term.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,731 Senior Member
    Most had a better than average income prior to being elected. I propose that congressmen/women get paid minimum wage...and that only when they are actually working...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,722 Senior Member
    Maybe we could eliminate the cost of living impact by making it more like college and making them live in a dorm with a cafeteria meal plan. As an added bonus we could make republicans have to room with democrats for the first 2 terms so they are forced to learn how to get along...
    Not a bad idea.

What I find interesting in the article is the FL republican who leads it off - the one with police protection. He goes from a $90K a year job to $174K, most likely gets better benefits, and complains about low pay. Whining about how he had a good life in Panama City: he ran for the job! He asked for it. Anything he gave up, he did on his own volition.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,906 Senior Member
    I have an idea... Instead of Police Protection, Secret Service, or however else those guys get "protected" why not issue them a handgun and make them learn to use and and qualify with it?

Oh wait, then they'd have to take personal responsibility for a possibly life altering decision...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I wonder what kind of cheese these mooks want with their whine?

Gimme a break. If they don't like it, go home and stay home.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,875 Senior Member
    If these slugs are paid so poorly, vs. the cost of living, how do most of them get rich while they're in office? Give me a break on their "low" salaries. If the job is so bad, why do they make up lies about their opponents, and to their constituents, just to get elected?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,022 Senior Member
    Alpha: I lived in DC in '67 and thought we live ok except cramped and lost my qtrs allowance since I still had qtrs at CPNC. Oh, we made about $7500, so any justification of congress being under paid falls on deaf ears.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,776 Senior Member
    As an added bonus we could make republicans have to room with democrats for the first 2 terms so they are forced to learn how to get along...

Why on God's green earth would we want them to get along? The BEST thing we can get out of Congress is stalemate and gridlock. When they "get things done" they screw things up royally... Think "Patriot Act" and "Healthcare Reform"

Are they whining about the job? Good. Quit. Go Home. That job should suck, and no one should want to do it. They should constantly have their feet to the fire, be getting yelled at, lambasted, and held accountable. When those dirtbags get comfortable in the job is when you end up with trash thinking like royalty and having 30 terms: Kerry, Kennedy, Hatch, etc...

If they think the job don't pay well enough, then quit and come get a job in the real world.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    If their pay is so low and their costs so high, why do so many of them become Millionaires after in office? Like Chris Christie would say if you don't like the pay find another job.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,722 Senior Member
    6 years is a Senator. Representatives serve 2 year terms.

A full pension is available to Members 62 years of age with 5 years of service; 50 years or older with 20 years of service; or 25 years of service at any age. A reduced pension is available depending upon which of several different age/service options is chosen. If Members leave Congress before reaching retirement age, they may leave their contributions behind and receive a deferred pension later
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_pension
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,731 Senior Member
    Not a single one of them gets rich on their congressional salary. They get rich through corruption. They serve their true employers...the special interests that pay their real salary.

Sure they aren't usually paid directly, but there are plenty of ways of legally funneling money to them. PAC's, speaking fees, employing spouses/family members, high paying cushy jobs after they retire etc. Has anyone noticed how many 7 figure book deals get signed by politicians yet you never see anyone actually reading political books? It's an amazing way for media conglomerates to pay off politicians while remaining completely within the law (has anyone every looked into the profitability of all those book deals?). They're not paying for book sales, they're paying for the various favorable votes over the years.

As with Pelosi's husband...funny how he keeps getting those lucrative Govt. Contracts...with anyone else it would be a conflict of interest...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,875 Senior Member
    Not a single one of them gets rich on their congressional salary. They get rich through corruption. They serve their true employers...the special interests that pay their real salary.

That's EXACTY what I was alluding to. Try reading between the lines. The questions I was asking were rhetorical.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,880 Senior Member
    Might be better if we got rid of the whole election process and DRAFT random people to be congressmen for two years.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :usa: Regardless of what they make as a yearly salary plus benefitts, and all the other added goodies, I would be willing to do the job of Senator, and Congressman, representive, what ever, for one half of what they get now and with no benefits, or all the other added bells and whistles. Heck I would even bring my own lunch to work, and furnish my own transportation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not expect a raise every year either, and the reason is that I am so used to not getting a raise every year why break a good streak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll2: I would like to carry my own weapon of course,, you know save the tax-payers a little money on security.....

They used to say that its a service to the country, not a job. which is it?:blah: If these folks don't want a job where they sit on their "Blessed Assurance" and work much less than us and make 6 digit figures and get free benefits, then let go find a job that they want....In other words what really "Gets my Goat" it that these inept, asinine, arrogant politicians, with all their dirty money, kickbacks, from big corporations, tax exempt campaign contributions they stick in their pocket or heaven knows where else, suddently start the "trail of tears" syndrome, and turn the water works on and start whining about how they only make $174,000 dollars a year. WELL Here is what I say:

Cry me a river, build a bridge over it, and then get the hell across it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fiddle:= The worlds smallest violin playing "My heart bleeds for you":jester:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    That's what some of them think. Say they're living paycheck to paycheck, have to have police protection, long hours means low hourly pay, are cut off from family businesses...

You got that right bream... check this out:

Just last week Republican representative, Steve Southerland in a speech said:

"He said his $174,000 salary is not so much, considering the hours a member of the House puts in, and that he had to sever ties with his family business in Panama City. Southerland also said there are no instant pensions or free health insurance, as some of his constituents often ask him about in Congress.

"'And by the way, did I mention? They're shooting at us. There is law-enforcement security in this room right now, and why is that?" Southerland told about 125 people in an auditorium at the Westminster Oaks retirement community. "If you think this job pays too much, with those kinds of risks and cutting me off from my family business, I'll just tell you: This job don't mean that much to me. I had a good life in Panama City.'

Thats a pretty arrogant thing to say ^^^^^ at or in a retirement community. Those folks are on a fixed income more than likely,and struggling to beat the band at best, not all of them, but a majority of them.

"...He added that 'if you took the hours that I work and divided it into my pay,' the $174,000 salary would not seem so high."
    If he is going to use that for an excuse then why don't we give the troops a raise and lavish benefits for the rest of their lives? They are the ones who actually get shot at!!!!!!!!!! What a imbisil "" this Southerland is HUH?

Any one here care to do the math on that arrogant asinine statement????? Lets see:allowing for paid national holidays,vacations,travel I say he works about 6wks out of the year. out of those 6wks he probably only puts in 2hr a day. so: 6wks=42days minus Saturday and Sunday .42days -12 weekends= 30 actually working days, 174,000 divided by 30= 5800.00 dollars a day. ( feel free to correct my math if its wrong:jester::rotflmao:) 5800 dollars a day divided by 2hr of work a day.... ummmm thats, = 2900.00 dollars an hour. catching up with Bill Gates ain't he? I just love my creative accounting skills:jester::roll2: I didn't learn that in the "Hallowed Halls of Higher Learning" I learned those from the best: Congress, IRS, Wall Street, Mortgage Institutes, Finance Companys, Automobile Dealerships, etc., etc.,:applause:

And this:
    His sentiments were not unlike those expressed by Sean Duffy, a Republican representative from Wisconsin, when he said in March it was a "struggle" to pay his mortgage and student loans with his congressional salary. "At this point, I'm not living high on the hog," Duffy, a father of six, said.

The way I feel about is if your are struggling to pay a mortgage, student loans, and other bills on 175,000 dollars a year plus benefits, then obviously you can't manage money, so I feel that you shouldn't be playing with the nation's buget.

I wish I had a job with a good approval rating,get 175K a year, and give myself a raise!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Might be better if we got rid of the whole election process and DRAFT random people to be congressmen for two years.
    That's what the Ancient Greeks did. Not a bad system.

And if you refused, they executed you.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,211 Senior Member
    A 2 br "Luxury" apartment in the areas that most congressmen would be willing to live are closer to $2500-$3000/month. Now add in the fact that most congressmen maintain a household in their home districts and all the costs associated with it they are clearly a long way from flush with cash.

They shouldn't be living in DC. They should be spending more time in their districts and just be in DC long enough to hang out while congress is in session. Get a cot for the office, shower at the Congressional gym. My douche-bag representative, Dale Kildee (who is finally retiring after being there for about forever) had his kids go to school in DC... It was his home as opposed to my district.

He represented DC, not us. They don't need to be that comfortable there.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    DeanC wrote: »
    That's what the Ancient Greeks did. Not a bad system.

And if you refused, they executed you.

They also instituted the page / staff system.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    They also instituted the page / staff system.
    Oh man - ROFL
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Yes, that's just one of the "little" perks Politicians are allowed under the table.

They get invited all over town(s) by the A-list folks, to all types of luncheons and dinners and crock-tails and what-evers and do they actually pay for anything ?

It is a job that allows for upward mobility, to Parrot-Phrase someone, "Now you just play your cards right and go stacking up your chips for the big game, when you can cash em in boy !"
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996