My meager collection of straigh razors (4)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,751 Senior Member
Since there are a couple of other folks on here that shave with str8s, I figured I'd post a picture of my 4
4razors.jpg
The three with the black handles are my daily shavers (or every other day normally)

The one with the faux bamboo is a family heirloom from either my maternal grandfather or great grandfather. It was found in a cigar box on top of my late grandmother's china cabinet.

While it could have belonged to either man, my unsubstantiated GUESS is that it was my granddad's.
I've honed and stropped it back into shaving condition, and shave with it twice. My plan, due to it's history in my family, is to shave with it twice a year. April 17th (The day my granddad died) and December 6th (his birthday)

The other 3, one I picked up at a local antique shop, one I bought from a guy from a straight razor forum and the third (My Klas Tornblom Swede) I lucked into on Ebay. The seller had crappy pics on the auction and I got it for about 1/3 of it's value. It's also the smoothest shaver of the bunch.

Here's a close up of the tang stamp on it
DSC_0848.jpg

For those of you that also shave with straights, how about posting pics?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    Don't have one now, it will be on My list, did have a Solingen as My first straight razor.

KGrHqEOKogE4uDbgwyzBOVnTQD64g48_1.jpg
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,751 Senior Member
    SWEET :love:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Here's a better pic of my heirloom. Though this pic was taken before I cleaned it up and polished it
    It's also what's pictured as my Avatar
    DSC_0649.jpg

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    That is indeed a classic !!!

I grew up around straight razors, My first barber Salvatore was an old world Italian from Milano Italia, one of My favorite places aside from Cortina.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jwv2001jwv2001 Member Posts: 125 Member
    In this day and age, what's a good brand?
    .....if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers. --Kipling
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    I've seen straight razors with a curved section in their blade. What is the purpose of that? Looks like it would make it almost impossible to strope.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    How can you date them? I have one passed down that I think belonged to my GGrandfather, a Confederate Veteran, but how can I really date it to know for sure? Never shaved with it, just keep it in my "junk box"
    airhead wrote: »
    I've seen straight razors with a curved section in their blade. What is the purpose of that? Looks like it would make it almost impossible to strope.
    Are you talking about the contour of the blade, or the actual edge?
    The contour of the blade is pretty irrelevant when it comes to honing or stropping, since the bevel is set to be straight between the spine and the edge.
    If you're talking about the actual edge, if it turns up on the ends, it's called a "smile" and as long as it's not too severe, is a desirable characteristic. It it turns down on the ends, it's referred to as a "frown" or a "frowning blade" and it's normally a result from improper pressure when honing it. Those are normally honed properly until the edge is at least straight to possibly a slight smile

How can you date them? I have one passed down that I think belonged to my GGrandfather, a Confederate Veteran, but how can I really date it to know for sure? Never shaved with it, just keep it in my "junk box"
    Depending on the markings, some folks know when some companies were in business. Some of the less well known brands, there isn't a reliable way to date one that I know of

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Straight razors make excellent patch knives cutting off the excess patch material when seating a patched round ball in a muzzleloader. Highly competitave shooters in high stakes matches like the York Shoot Jerry and I attend are almost guaranteed to use them.
    jwv2001 wrote: »
    In this day and age, what's a good brand?
    If you're talking about a "newly manufactured" one. Dovo is one of the good brands. The "Gold Dollar" brand gets mixed reviews and some of the professional sharpeners won't touch one of them, and others will.
    Any of the Chinese or Pakistani straight razors are pretty much considered "junk" by folks who seem to know more about straights than I do.
    Considering the quality of knives I've seen from those places, I can see how their straights wouldn't be any better.

edited to add: Even a "new in the box" quality straight razor is probably going to need to be honed before it's first use. Some of the places that specialize in dealing with straights include the first honing with the purchase.