Caught a monster bass Sunday!

Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 MemberPosts: 225 Member
After Irene pounded us with rain on my only weekend off work this month, I went out to my families cabin with my brother and my buddy who I roomeed with in college. The day was perfect, 85 degrees and sunny, you never would have guessed that a hurricane had just come through. I expected the fishing to be rather poor because of all the rain, but hey a bad day fishing is better than most other things!

I was throwing a watermelon 6 inch senko along the edge of a weed bed. I was standing on the dock, I hadnt even gone out to my prime spots in the canoe yet, when all of a sudden, WHAM! The line whipped taut and the fight was one. The bass jumped 4 times like a tarpon, slapping its tail as it went vertical in the air. When I saw how big it was my heart was racing, I did not want to lose it. I cranked the loosened the drag and played the fish out. Finally I brought it alongside the dock and my brother helped land it. It was huge! I have a large 8 1/2 pounder on my wall, this thing dwarfed it! Plus I landed it on a trout/panfish rod that is only 5'6"!

get-attachment-2aspx.jpg

get-attachment-1aspx-2.jpg

get-attachment-2aspx.jpg

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,044 Senior Member
    WOW!!! Nice Bass!!
    Congrats!!! :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    Nice fish
    This message has been deleted
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member
    Send that picture into Outdoor Life, you should still be smiling today:applause:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    That's a helluva toad!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Awesome Bass :beer:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,837 Senior Member
    Man!! It looks like you could stick your head in it's mouth!! Nice fish!!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,837 Senior Member
    It looks like you can stick your head in it's mouth!! Nice fish!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    EXCELLENT fish.
    The Senko is my GO TO bait in shallow water.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,882 Senior Member
    Should have been in the canoe, she would have made a good motor pullin around the pond....

After a storm is a good time to fish. Washes a lot of food into the water and the fish know to be on the lookout for it...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Wow! That is awesome! I've caught some big bass but not like that. Are you still in Maine? I live in Saco and have found a few good bass spots. Ufortuneatly, only made it to my favorite once this season.
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Back in Virginia now. I never came close to catching anything that big in Maine. Caught plenty of pickeral and tons of small 1-2 pounders in ponds around Brunswick, Wiscassett...etc. I couldnt stop smiling for so long after landing this monster. Biggest bass I've ever caught.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Looking good! I hope you threw that minnow back and let it grow up! (Just kidding- - - - -I'd have one like that mounted!)
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,671 Senior Member
    NICE BUCKET!!! Wow! And on the ultralight! Man UL bass fishing is the way to go, way more fun then just hossin' in 4-7lbs average fish with 65lbs braid on 8ft H rods.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    NICE BUCKET!!! Wow! And on the ultralight! Man UL bass fishing is the way to go, way more fun then just hossin' in 4-7lbs average fish with 65lbs braid on 8ft H rods.

I love it! The bass on my wall I caught on an ultralight trout rod with 4 or 6 lb mono, I cant remember. Hard to beat fighting a bass so big that the drag screams every time it runs. You have to be so diligent to not snap the line when they pull. This one went airborne multiple times, such a thrill! This was my first double digit bass, so I was super pumped, especially since its not even the spawn right now. Next spawn that girl will be even bigger!
    Next spawn that girl will be even bigger!
    i take that to mean you released her?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Here are a couple more pics. Check out the size of the mouth compared to my fist!

bass4.jpg
    bass5.jpg
    knitepoet wrote: »
    i take that to mean you released her?

I released her since I already have a nice bass on my wall from the same pond (not as big of a bass but oh well). Earlier this summer I caught a couple 8 pounders an released them as well. Pretty soon the bass from this 4 1/2 acre pond will start giving the state record a serious run for its money. They are already pretty close.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,213 Senior Member
    Wow. Just wow. A double digit bass is on my bucket list.

What was the weight? Did I miss it?
    I released her since I already have a nice bass on my wall from the same pond
    Well done!!!
    I'm not sure I could have put a 10+ pounder back personally but I commend you on doing so :worthy:

But then, the only fish I have on my wall is a 26-10 (36") saltwater stripe caught in swift, fresh water below a hydroelectric dam on top water.
    I've never caught a large mouth that would even top 4 pounds

Now the hardest part will be deciding whether I go hunting or fishing on my days off!