Home Main Category General Firearms

Well, it wasn't a fluke

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 14,206 Senior Member
I have been almost overwhelmingly busy this summer at work, with Scouts, with kids, and with Lions and I have barely had time to shoot sporting clays. I try to shoot 3X per month in the summer months, 50 rnds per night, but time has not allowed this and I had to shoot 100 rnds the past 2 rounds I shot, 2 seperate league shoots. We usually have a month to shoot 3 rounds and your best two rounds are your score before the range is changed to different presentations of the targets. I shot well but misheard my puller when I shot last month and thought I shot a 43 and a 45, The local paper posts our league scores and according to the paper I shot a 48 in one of the rounds that week! A personal best. I also shot a 45 for a total of 93/100 for last month, I did not confirm that until tonight when I talked to my puller, I still thought it was a mistake. Well, tonight I shot a 47 and a 45, 92/100, my 2 best months back to back. It took 10 yrs of shooting clays and switching from an 1100 to a Benelli Montefeltro, but I seem to be hitting a groove this year. I hate to disparge my 1100, but I seem to have steadily improved from a low to mid 80's shooter to a high 80's low 90's shooter after a few years of shooting the Benelli. I don't know, maybe after 10 yrs I have seen all the presentations I can see at the course I shoot at. Cloudy skys and no wind definitely improve my scores and that was the case the last couple nights I have shot so maybe some luck, either way, a personal best:cool2:.
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Dude, I'd do well just to hit the TOWER with a shotgun! Good show on your part. Well done.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Nice shooting. You make me want to take my Montifeltro out. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it since I aquired, last year. Congratulations on your achievment. :beer:

DSC02059.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Dude, I'd do well just to hit the TOWER with a shotgun! Good show on your part. Well done.

:blah::blah: I have seen you running and gunning on steel with a shotgun, I am ok as long as I am standing in a box shooting light loads, thank you though:usa:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    wizard78 wrote: »
    Nice shooting. You make me want to take my Montifeltro out. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it since I aquired, last year. Congratulations on your achievment. :beer:

DSC02059.jpg

I have a blued receiver, I like yours ALOT. BTW, I have not cleaned mine since the spring of 2010(on purpose), 1000 rnds later and nary a hiccup, try that with an 1100. Go shoot it ASAP.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    :blah::blah: I have seen you running and gunning on steel with a shotgun, I am ok as long as I am standing in a box shooting light loads, thank you though:usa:.

Yeah, but my targets were bigger and stationary. Yours are tiny and flying like a rocket. BIG difference. :worthy:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Yeah, but my targets were bigger and stationary. Yours are tiny and flying like a rocket. BIG difference. :worthy:

Well, alright then, I guess I would feel better as my shooting relates to yours if I had tried a toe shot tonight:roll2:. I am intimidated by "tactical" shooting, I have an oppotunity next month to go shoot at the home of a guy that participates in 3 gun and has a home practice setup, I will post those results also:up:.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Congrats :worthy:
    It's been so long since I've shot at an aerial target, I'd need to make sure and check for cobwebs in the bore

Really, I would have guessed there was some sort of fowl to hunt in your neck of the woods, get out that shotgun and do some bird hunting at least. Thanks.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Way to go man, great, proud of you, that is so cool to accomplish a personal best indeed. :beer:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    Congrats, an impressive feat nearing 100 on clays. I have shoot a few 100's in trap but my one attempt at clays was an abject failure.

Sako
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Thats really good CHIRO1989,,, I have never shot the sporting clays, but I am a regular trap shooter...I think we would both agree,, it takes a lot of practice.....
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 807 Senior Member
    You just might be a mid to upper 90's shooter with a BERETTA!!
    You just might be a mid to upper 90's shooter with a BERETTA!!

I am never opposed to more guns, maybe I will "win" one:tooth:.
    Way to go man, great, proud of you, that is so cool to accomplish a personal best indeed. :beer:

Thanks, I have been fortunate to shoot with folks that are very good competitive shooters over the years and they have been good teachers.
    sakodude wrote: »
    Congrats, an impressive feat nearing 100 on clays. I have shoot a few 100's in trap but my one attempt at clays was an abject failure.

Sako

100 in trap is nothing to sneeze at, I shot trap for 7-8 years before I moved to where I am now and I only have 2-25 straight patches to show for it.
    Thats really good CHIRO1989,,, I have never shot the sporting clays, but I am a regular trap shooter...I think we would both agree,, it takes a lot of practice.....

Thanks, I agree about the practice, but, I have found I score higher if I just go out and shoot without a practice round, and oddly enough I have been shooting better when I have been doubling up and shooting 2 rounds back to back as we walk the course, seems counterintuitive.
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    I grew up hunting quail.
    Thought sporting clays would be easy compared to real birds.
    I was WRONG.

But I had a blast and will be back.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    OK----dinger
    No comprehnde amigo.