Interesting development in Mexico

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,775 Senior Member
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/mexico-vigilante-militias/

It seems a growing number of Mexican citizens are organizing themselves in the militias to fight the cartels and corrupt police organizations. Seems too early to tell if long term this will be a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously it's good to see ordinary citizens fighting back, but also raises some questions, especially with regards to these organizations remaining relatively benevolent or becoming corrupted by power. Definitely some interesting if scary stuff going on south of the border!
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    Wish I could do pics on my phone....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Obama and Eric Holder in talks to restart the arming of the cartels.
  • the independentthe independent Member Posts: 52 Member
    It is in more rural areas where years ago the citizens hid their guns vs turning them in. They are coming out again to defend themselves against the gangs.
    The more urban areas let themselves be disarmed.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    Mexico used to have a revolution about every 50 years. They're overdue for another one by a long shot.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    We should watch and learn- - - - -before too long it's likely to become necessary to root out a lot of corruption here.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,924 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    We should watch and learn- - - - -before too long it's likely to become necessary to root out a lot of corruption here.
    Jerry

Sad but true.........

It seems a growing number of Mexican citizens are organizing themselves in the militias to fight the cartels and corrupt police organizations. Seems too early to tell if long term this will be a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously it's good to see ordinary citizens fighting back

three-amigos-movie-still-steve-martin-martin-short-chevy-chase-1986.png
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ace7644ace7644 Member Posts: 55 Member
    ha! not a chance. best case scenario is the cartels just kill all the women of the villages that fight back and not rape them first. these cartels have progressed into multi national, multi billionaire entities that could stomp out a minor village uprising like an ant. if it's not their physical weapons, it's their money. Even if half of mexico did rise up against them, they could pay the other half to fight for them and still be loaded.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,924 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    three-amigos-movie-still-steve-martin-martin-short-chevy-chase-1986.png

Like. Buffy, CPJ and who??
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member

Breamfisher
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    The short guy might be Woodsrunner, but he's not packing a flintlock- - - - -must be somebody else!
    Jerry

Well, if you need a tiny carny-like person......... who smells of cabbage.....
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    The documentary (and book) "Killing Pablo Escobar" was a real eye opener. I was amazed to find out that what really brought him down (according to the documentary) was a loosely organized group that used his own brutal tactics against him.

Imagine being a legitimate banker and having someone tell you that if you don't launder their money then they will kill your family. And then the next customer tells you that if you do business with the cartel then they will kill your family.

When (otherwise) legitimate businessmen started waking up dead because they did business with Pablo it became increasingly difficult for Pablo to do business.

Ultimately, the brutal actions of people who were fed up with his brutality are what brought him down.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    We always hear the whine- - - -"Well, we can't just be vigilantes"- - - - - -

WHY THE FRACK NOT?

When the regular system of dealing with miscreants breaks down, what's wrong with a little street justice, applied quickly and effectively?
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,184 Senior Member
    When the regular system of dealing with miscreants breaks down, what's wrong with a little street justice, applied quickly and effectively?
    Jerry

Applied appropriately, I got no problem with it....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member

WHY THE FRACK NOT?

Jerry

I hope I never have to choose between being a victim or a vigilante but if that's all that's left then well, ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,775 Senior Member

WHY THE FRACK NOT?

Jerry

When existing systems start to break down and fail to work effectively others will step in to fill the void. I find it funny when people talk about teotwawki as if when the existing government breaks down nothing will fill the void. All you have to do is look at Mexico or even Iraq or Libya after the invasion for a picture of how people and systems adapt.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member

It seems a growing number of Mexican citizens are organizing themselves in the militias to fight the cartels and corrupt police organizations.

I wish them luck but they don't have a chance.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    I wish them luck but they don't have a chance.

Never underestimate the power of POed people in large groups.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Even well-armed, dedicated small groups can accomplish a lot. Add some righteous indignation to that situation, and they can be downright devastating! Bullies rely on intimidation to keep the majority of their victims under control. When folks get fed up and stop backing up, the results can be pretty violent.
    Jerry
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,074 Senior Member
    Yes, having something to fight for can make a BIG difference.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    ace7644 I don't agree with you in the least. Please tell me what you are basing your opinion on? And Buford, why do you say that the Mexicans wouldn't stand a chance? I can't agree with that, either. Mexicans have been in the past and definately can be again very vicious fighters if properly motivated.

Few of our membership here on the Forum truly understands Mexico and the people who inhabit the Country. I dare not say that I'm the Forum's authority on this subject, but chances are that I've had more "hands-on" experience there than most others of our Group. Remember, my wife of over 30+ years is Mexican, and she has family there in several locations. I've traveled extensively in the Country. Have stayed weeks with families who live very primitive by our standards. Have also had lunch with the then President, Vicente Fox, several years ago. I've come to understand a little about the "Mexican Frame of Mind", and I admire what I see. Do not underestimate these people. Get out of the major cities and experience the rural countryside (most of Mexico) and experience the rank and file rural Mexican. You will see much of the moral values and honesty that you once saw in our own Country before corporate greed and sickening government took control. The rank and file Mexican will probably tolerate more suffering at the hands of the drug cartels and fraudelent government than the typical US citizen (thanks to our Angelo-Saxon Heritage), but to underestimate his eventual uprising and abilities to fight would be a mistake. My opinion, anyway.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,495 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Never underestimate the power of POed people in large groups.

I hope they make a go of it. It's about time the people of Mexico let their 'leaders' know the tail is wagging the dog...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    I hope they make a go of it. It's about time the people of Mexico let their 'leaders' know the tail is wagging the dog...

Push comes to shove, they will run the cartels and the crooked politicians into the ground and then bury them. When it gets bad enough, I wouldn't want to be a politician or drug cartel member when the people go ballistic. Doesn't matter if they are outnumbered(they're not) or outgunned(they are), they will be fighting for something dear to them. The cartel soldiers will be fighting for wages, the people for the reinstitution of their way of life. I'll put my money on the people.

Kinda like that gang of hooligans back in the late 1700s that fought an overseas 'cartel', and won their freedom.

• ace7644ace7644 Member Posts: 55 Member
    Woodsrunner, I'm basing my opinion on the fact that whenever anyone stands up to these people it don't matter who they are, they end up hanged over a bridge in the middle of a "safe" city center along with their entire family and friends. or slumped over in lawn furniture in a crowded market center.