Shopping for a low impact .308 Win rifle - Suggestions?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
I have 'some' ammo that I don't want to shoot in my good rifles. So, I need a sacrificial lamb of a rifle that I can use to plink/play/beat/loan/hunt/abuse as necessary.

Needs

Under $500.
1-10" twist to shoot the 175gr bullets.

Pluses

Iron sights would be nice but not a deal breaker.
Accept scope mounts would be nice but not necessary if it has iron sights (obviously).

That's about all the specifics I'm looking for. Wood or synthetic, I have no preference.

Suggestions?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Savage.

You would just LOVE that, wouldn't you?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    Savage.

Duh, see if you can get them to throw in a new hat too:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Marlin XS-7. It's a Remington/Savage clone with a barrel nut and an accutrigger, plus it's got an interchangeable bolt nose so it can be rebarreled and/or converted to a belted magnum easily if you decide to do a major rehab at a later date. Remington 700 scope mounts and (I believe) aftermarket stocks also fit. They're pretty accurate right off the shelf as an added advantage. I've got its big brother, the XL-7 in .270, that I bought used with a throwaway scope for $300.00 out the door. Hard to beat!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Look at it this way... You would have ZERO love for it. You wouldn't be afraid to beat it around.

Hey.....yeah! Kinda like I view you?
    Teach wrote: »
    Marlin XS-7. It's a Remington/Savage clone with a barrel nut and an accutrigger, plus it's got an interchangeable bolt nose so it can be rebarreled and/or converted to a belted magnum easily if you decide to do a major rehab at a later date. Remington 700 scope mounts and (I believe) aftermarket stocks also fit. They're pretty accurate right off the shelf as an added advantage. I've got its big brother, the XL-7 in .270, that I bought used with a throwaway scope for $300.00 out the door. Hard to beat!
    Jerry

Taking a look, now.

Edit: It has a 1-12" twist.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    I will be looking for a Savage rifle for you, now that you actually want one:tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

:punch:
    Here's a good candidate for a rebarrel- - - - -put whatever twist you want on it! The price looks right for a NIB rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338416647

Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,748 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,748 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have 'some' ammo that I don't want to shoot in my good rifles. So, I need a sacrificial lamb of a rifle that I can use to plink/play/beat/loan/hunt/abuse as necessary.
    Suggestions?
    With your lack of love for Savages, why wouldn't you want one to "beat" and "abuse as necessary" :uhm:
    Sounds like something you'd enjoy doing :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

The Marlin looks good for the fact that it accepts Remington bases and stocks. Both of which I already have. Down side, none of the factory chamberings/twists are appealing to me. So, it would be a purchase and immediate rebarrel. At least another $200 sunk into the gun.

The Savage (coughcoughgagpuke) has everything I'm after and added features of the threaded barrel. Down side, everything I read says the stock is pretty much crap. So, a good stock down the road would be another $200 sunk.

My wheels are turning. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,569 Senior Member
    Taking a look, now.

Edit: It has a 1-12" twist.

I have a Marlin XS-7 in .308. It was something like $380 out the door two years ago. I found it to be extremely accurate, especially for such an inexpensive rifle. I swapped the synthetic stock with a nice Boyds and it is a very nice rifle.

You do not need a 1:10 for 175gr bullets, 1:12 will work just fine with those. I use a 1:11 for bullets up to and including 200grains.

Edit: Please disregard this post, I was all wrong. I did not get a Marlin XS-7 in .308. I don't even shoot .308s. It was not $380 out the door, and it was not two years ago, because I have never owned a rifle until last week. Just like our illustrious vice-president, I would not know an accurate rifle from a broom. Stock is a base for soup, right? Whwy would you want synthetic soup.

For 175gr bullets you need a 1:9 twist or faster but you might be able to use a 1:12, if you shoot mainly downhill with the wind at your back.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,569 Senior Member
    Sorry, I missed that part. I don't want to derail your plans, so I will change my post accordingly.
    That threaded-muzzle Savage is only 40 miles north of my place- - - -I'll bet I can get there first! Just pulling your chain- - - -but if you're not interested let me know!
    Jerry
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,750 Senior Member
    Come to the dark side, Luke.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,750 Senior Member
    It's really gonna be a hoot, if you get a Savage truck gun and it out-shoots most of your tacticool bolt guns, costing 10X as much. :jester:
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,003 Senior Member
    Am I actually about to say that CPJ is right???? :silly:

Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FHSS. You get your rate of twist, the Accu Trigger, and a stainless/synthetic combo you can abuse, and loan without staying awake nights worrying about what your Neanderthal friends are doing to it. This is the hinged floorplate version so you don't have to worry about them loosing the detachable mag.

They are UGLY guns, but they seem to have mastered putting cheap and good together in the same rifle better than anyone.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Edit: Please disregard this post, I was all wrong. I did not get a Marlin XS-7 in .308. I don't even shoot .308s. It was not $380 out the door, and it was not two years ago, because I have never owned a rifle until last week. Just like our illustrious vice-president, I would not know an accurate rifle from a broom. Stock is a base for soup, right? Whwy would you want synthetic soup.

For 175gr bullets you need a 1:9 twist or faster but you might be able to use a 1:12, if you shoot mainly downhill with the wind at your back.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Don't know why I would even consider listening to you anyway.

:jester:
    That threaded-muzzle Savage is only 40 miles north of my place- - - -I'll bet I can get there first! Just pulling your chain- - - -but if you're not interested let me know!
    Jerry

Jump on it. I'm still browsing.
    olesniper wrote: »
    Come to the dark side, Luke.

But......it's scary there!
    Quit worrying about stocks and what not. You said it yourself. It's a beater. A loaner. A knock around weapon. Really, it's ok to have a gun that you don't screw with. Just buy and shoot.

:whispersSavagHogHunter:

Shut up, you!
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    Seems like there are several entry level / economy / starter rifles advertised for under $500.

Have you considered such?

Seems like the manufacturers have gone above and beyond in developing these rifles.

Not sure about your part of the world but locally (Southern Plains of Texas) these seems to be reasonable availability of bolt guns.
    Does seem to be fewer short action rifles than '06 actions, but perhaps that is local. As has become the norm :angry: except for premium hunting type examples, ammo can still be lacking. But since you have excess 308 ammo this isn't a concern in the short term.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    41magnut wrote: »
    Seems like there are several entry level / economy / starter rifles advertised for under $500.

Have you considered such?

That's the reason I'm asking. Getting a feel for what's out there and listening to suggestions from experience or thoughts.
    Actually, I'm not much of a fan of a half-grown .30-06. There are a lot of real cartridges out there that interest me a lot more. I've only owned one .308 in my life, and I traded it off pretty quickly. My grandson shoots a 1916 Spanish Mauser in 7.62 CETME, but I load that one down to about .300 Savage numbers for him.
    Jerry
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    That's the reason I'm asking. Getting a feel for what's out there and listening to suggestions from experience or thoughts.

I hope those who have purchased same will contribute their opinion.

I am considering a TC Venture.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    Actually, I'm not much of a fan of a half-grown .30-06. There are a lot of real cartridges out there that interest me a lot more. I've only owned one .308 in my life, and I traded it off pretty quickly.
    Jerry

It does require more skill, refinement, and taste to like and use a .308 Winchester. Anybody can shoot and use a .30-06 as you know. Only the best can do so with a .308 Winchester. That's why the .30-06 is still alive. Short bus kids gotta use something!

:-)
    Yep, short cartridge- - - - -short bus- - - - -I'm glad we agree! Got anything else that's "short"?
    :devil:
    Jerry
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Go with the Savage, had mine for years, takes all kinds of abuse, accurate. Of course mine is in .30-06.

Look at the plus side, if you own one, not only can you abuse it without a second thought, you can speak from experience about how ugly, lousy, awful it is!

The dark side is not scary, its nice and quiet over here!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    This is the one. 80b50156a553c5e6c77ba0d5ac407be6_zps1cb6f85a.jpg

Mossberg ATR Nighttrain.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Weren't there some surplus Mauser K95s in .308 floating around a few years ago?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member