Shopping for a low impact .308 Win rifle - Suggestions?

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,342 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Weren't there some surplus Mauser K95s in .308 floating around a few years ago?

A .308 would load and fire in the 1916 "Guardia Civil" Mauser, but the chamber pressures were off the charts high. A .308 can go to 55,000 CUP, and the CETME round the 1916 was chambered for topped out somewhere around 42,500.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Go with the Savage, had mine for years, takes all kinds of abuse, accurate. Of course mine is in .30-06.

Look at the plus side, if you own one, not only can you abuse it without a second thought, you can speak from experience about how ugly, lousy, awful it is!

The dark side is not scary, its nice and quiet over here!

I owned one years ago. Experience, I got. :wink:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Teach wrote: »
    Got anything else that's "short"?
    :devil:
    Jerry

realkid.jpg

There ya go.

:wink:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Look at them cute little carny hands!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,569 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Don't know why I would even consider listening to you anyway.

:jester:

You got me there. I can't think of a single reason either. :grin:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    http://www.basspro.com/Remington-308-Whitetail-Pro-Model-770-Rifle/Scope-Combo/product/10218563/#spec-tabGuns

Remington® 308 Whitetail Pro® Model 770 Rifle/Scope Combo ..................$349.99 out the door with a crappy scope. Synthetic stock........but what the heck, by the time you get it home, it will be wearing something different.

Has a 1 in 10 twist rate.

Biggest benefit is that Its not a Savage!!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    cpj wrote: »
    Hey. kiwi. Shut up.

Believe it or not.......I am even LESS tempted by a 770 than I am by a Savage.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member

Hey. kiwi. Shut up.

I see the concept of reverse Psykol.....psyke....sychol........oh crap,............telling him to do one thing so that he does another hasnt yet arrived in the USA
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    I just sold one, Mossberg ATR bolt...
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    You can work with a flimsy stock for a beater rifle.
    It has the twist you want and a threaded barrel.
    Man up and get it.
    After all, it is a "Beater Rifle."
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Big NO on a 770.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    orchidman wrote: »
    I see the concept of reverse Psykol.....psyke....sychol........oh crap,............telling him to do one thing so that he does another hasnt yet arrived in the USA

I see what you did there.
    You can work with a flimsy stock for a beater rifle.
    It has the twist you want and a threaded barrel.
    Man up and get it.
    After all, it is a "Beater Rifle."

I will grudgingly admit, it has a lot of desired features. Compact, irons, accepts bases, medium profile barrel, threaded, twist rate..........................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, threads take can........front base mounts Aimpoint Comp M3............rear base mounts PVS-14...........

:silly:
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, threads take can........front base mounts Aimpoint Comp M3............rear base mounts PVS-14...........

No longer a beater/ loaner. You would be a Savage convert, and a sucker for a stupid marketing campaign.
    It does have all the features you want and should shoot like a house afire.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    When you use your logic for yourself, "the Savage actually is a good choice." Go ahead, say it...:cool2:
    I will grudgingly admit, it has a lot of desired features. Compact, irons, accepts bases, medium profile barrel, threaded, twist rate..........................

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    How do I look myself in the mirror afterwards?
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    Clear answer :wink:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Not quite in the price bracket, but it'll do for the rest.
    As one who accepted his own reasoning.
    Little pride swallowed along the way too, but that should happen to us all...:wink:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member

Well, I'd hope without the rifle in one hand, a current newspaper propped under your chin, a camera in the other and skivvies on your head....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,002 Senior Member

Yep. Like I said, Savage seems to have mastered good + cheap in the same gun. Remington, despite the overall attributes of their product line, has not.

Look at it this way Zed, if you DO have a Savage soft-cased in the back of the truck, and if you EVER get said truck stuck in the mud, and if you need a prybar to get the truck out, AND if you use this field-expedient prybar in front of witnesses, you will become LEGEND!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Am I actually about to say that CPJ is right???? :silly:

Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FHSS. You get your rate of twist, the Accu Trigger, and a stainless/synthetic combo you can abuse, and loan without staying awake nights worrying about what your Neanderthal friends are doing to it. This is the hinged floorplate version so you don't have to worry about them loosing the detachable mag.

They are UGLY guns, but they seem to have mastered putting cheap and good together in the same rifle better than anyone.

OK....now I'm AFRAID....I got hide in bunker now.........:yikes:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    handi-rifle. Cheap, not upgrade-able, you won't be tempted to screw with it and leave it a beater. Other then that Vanguard S1, should be able to find them new for 350. Ruger American would work too. yes, we know you didn't like the flimsy stock, but you are ASKING for a beater rifle. It doesn't need to be work/bench/competition ready if you're just wanting to blast up ammo. Relax a bit and buy stuff you'd normally not, its just for getting rid of ammo after all.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Anybody can shoot and use a .30-06 as you know.That's why the .30-06 is still alive. Short bus kids gotta use something!

:-)
    Hey now....when I was 18 I had my choice of 2 rifles from my uncle....had to buy one....choices were a LH Savage 270...or a LH Rem 700 in 30-06.....I chose wisely.....:cool2:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    Lerchess wrote: »
    Clear answer :wink:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Not quite in the price bracket, but it'll do for the rest.

That was my first choice and I'd like that one. Trouble is, I ain't sinking $800 into this endeavor. Already have 4 rather nice .308 Winchesters. Not looking for another nice one.
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Hey now....when I was 18 I had my choice of 2 rifles from my uncle....had to buy one....choices were a LH Savage 270...or a LH Rem 700 in 30-06.....I chose wisely.....:cool2:

Of course, that wasn't much of a choice at all, Remington 700 or Savage.
    As one who accepted his own reasoning.
    Little pride swallowed along the way too, but that should happen to us all...:wink:

I was thinking more along the lines of a bag over my head.
    Just make some holes for your eyes so you can shoot:tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You just need a rifle that's factory equipped with ABS..........Anything But Savage.....a used Ruger...Weatherby Vanguard/S&W 1500/Mossberg 1500.........Ken
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    That was my first choice and I'd like that one. Trouble is, I ain't sinking $800 into this endeavor. Already have 4 rather nice .308 Winchesters. Not looking for another nice one.

Yeah I hear ya on that. I'd like the stainless version at some point. For a beater .308 not being a Savage, I'd go with the Ruger American or a used Remington 700 ADL which would take some shopping around to find at that price.
    Well, that's easy. You are a handsome fellow. Ya ain't hard to look at.

Beisdes,You've done worse things.

Wait, did you just make a pass at me?