sig 226 problems

30-30shooter30-30shooter MemberPosts: 224 Member
i have an old west German sig 226 that had MASSIVE problems extracting,i took it to a gunsmith and he told me it was just crud under the extractor. now it seems to have a much less severe problem extracting though. it seems too have problems when i have to either clear a dud round, hand cycle ammo through it or occasionally on the last round of a mag. however other than that it seems to be ok. when i hand cycle ammo through it the extractor looks as though it just lets go of the round. but this seems to happen MUCH more with an empty magazine. could it be i need a new extractor?

edited to add:
not sure if related but if i hand cycle ammo in it the next round in the mag seems to be kicking it out rather than the ejector.
also not sure if related, but it also seems to not pass the single shot test abut other sigs would
A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.-Clint Eastwood

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    What kind of ammo are you using?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Sounds like a weak extractor spring. If it is weak, it will let the extractor cam over the rim of the cartridge when extracting it. If it's old, change out the extractor and the extractor spring.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• 30-30shooter30-30shooter Member Posts: 224 Member
    Buford wrote: »
    What kind of ammo are you using?
    Winchester, federal and independence.
    A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.-Clint Eastwood
  • 30-30shooter30-30shooter Member Posts: 224 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Sounds like a weak extractor spring. If it is weak, it will let the extractor cam over the rim of the cartridge when extracting it. If it's old, change out the extractor and the extractor spring.

could it also be a worn extractor? either way where can i find a new extractor and spring?
  • tigman.uktigman.uk Member Posts: 332 Member
    That one is easy, brownells is your friend
    Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_310 using Board Express
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,601 Senior Member
    Simplest, easiest, best thing to do is call Sigarms. They are in Exeter, New Hampshire.
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/