Creature dispatched in flower bed!

tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior MemberPosts: 617 Senior Member
So I was sitting at my PC minding my own business playing some silly game (Railroad Tycoon II Platinum edition) when my son enters my man cave and motions for me to come quietly. Off into the kitchen he stealthfully moves with me in tow. He points into the flower bed near the birdfeeder and whispers that he has seen a beast. We whisper back and forth a bit and the decision is made, he is to attempt to dispatch the vile creature that lurks amongst the wifes flowers.

Leaving the scout/sniper in position to spot the creature I wander off into the depths of our gun vault searching for a weapon capable of the task. Ah Ha I have found it.

P1000218_zpsc5528683.jpg

I question if the scope zeroed at this range... no time to worry, the beast has been spotted and there is no time to check.

Having found the weapon, the task now becomes finding just the right ammo. And so into another part of the house into the ammo bunker I travel. The rifle selected is capable of handling a wide variety of ammo and surely something in the bunker is capable of dispatching the vile beast cleanly. Eureka! I chose the round on the left, enough power for the job but may not travel so far as to endanger the neighbors.

P1000219_zps69f2c8de.jpg

The sniper has not spotted the beast again but he is watching intently as I sneak into the kitchen and hand him rifle and ammo. Having no reason for me to hang about I quietly rejoin my game with an ear to the kitchen.

Some time later my quiet reflection on the value of hooking up this grain field with that bakery is shattered by the report of that trusty rifle. Then I hear a "got em". I grab some work gloves and travel out into the back yard to see if indeed the beast has been dispatched.

P1000214_zps2d43df2b.jpg

No exit wound so all of the energy of the projectile was expended in the vile beast. After action report reveals that beast fell in his tracks rear end gave a twitch and then went quiet. Sniper reports that he believed he was aiming more into the body so either scope is off or he pulled his shot (he can not be exactly sure due to foliage between himself and the beast).

P1000215_zps73242f7c.jpg

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Gotta be careful with them critters, they are sneaky, you sure he wasn't just pretending?
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Gotta be careful with them critters, they are sneaky, you sure he wasn't just pretending?

If he is acting he is a very very good actor as he is still where I lefted him.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    If he is acting he is a very very good actor as he is still where I lefted him.

Be careful, probably just waiting for you to go to sleep, They are very patient you know! :devil:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    ZOUNDS, MAN!!! Have you not read your Capstick?!?!? You need to follow up with a Winchester #12 and #1 buckshot! You could be mauled, gored, trampled, or worse!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,526 Senior Member
    Your son just qualified as a member of the rat team hit squad.

Good shot

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    What!! No autopsy!!??
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    What!! No autopsy!!??

I'm guessing lead poisoning.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Your homework is to find and read..."Backyard Safari" by Capstick.......Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    You chose the right round, If you had chosen a 270 he wold still be alive!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    You chose the right round, If you had chosen a 270 he wold still be alive!

I think that is grossly unfair to the 270. Those critturs are hard to kill...................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    here I was expecting the Rabbit of Caire Bannaugh...
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • dlddld Member Posts: 379 Member
    how did the creature taste?
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Aye, mon, the lad did well. Feast him with burgers and milkshakes, and let word go out to all corners of the neighborhood that here lives another man of substance and worth.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Good for you and the kid! I keep a pellet gun by the back door just for similar problems.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    Sniper reports that he believed he was aiming more into the body so either scope is off or he pulled his shot (he can not be exactly sure due to foliage between himself and the beast).

Ahem...the lad needs a bit more instruction, regarding the after action report...he was aiming for the eye!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Ahem...the lad needs a bit more instruction, regarding the after action report...he was aiming for the eye!
    :agree: :that: :rotflmao:

Good job :beer: The maternal units normally react poorly to interactions with such vile beaties
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I suppose I am at fault for the confusion. The lad in question here is a young man of 25.

His after action report was well done as he described when and where he spotted the creature on numerous occasions and why he was not able to dispatch the beast in each instance.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,251 Senior Member
    When pursuing the fierce garden mouse, always hold for bone. Need to break them down so they don't attack you.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -I should have documented Mary's war with a family of voles that were digging in the tractor tire planter just outside our dining room window and feasting on her Tulip bulbs! The High Standard .22 pistol got a workout from the open window about 5 feet from the planter!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,560 Senior Member
    I do not slowly run my headlights thru the front flower bed when I get home at night to look for rabbits. I also do not pop any I see there in the eyeball with the Crosman Pumpmaster pistol. I did not check out the Nebo light at Walmart (that Paul was talking about) to mount to the front stock of said pistol.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    I suppose I am at fault for the confusion. The lad in question here is a young man of 25.

His after action report was well done as he described when and where he spotted the creature on numerous occasions and why he was not able to dispatch the beast in each instance.

Ah...good...a flair for drama can make up for many minor shortcomings in bullet placement. The important thing is that the beast will never again terrorize the precious ecosystem that sustains so many of the more lovable species of vermin.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    here I was expecting the Rabbit of Caire Bannaugh...

Well, that's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    The skull must be cleaned and mounted in a prominent location, preferably displaying the deadly set of natural dental weaponry such beasts possess, and the hide properly prepared and sprawled before the hearth to declare to all, "Here dwells a Hunter."

But seriously, nice shot!
    bisley wrote: »
    Ah...good...a flair for drama can make up for many minor shortcomings in bullet placement. The important thing is that the beast will never again terrorize the precious ecosystem that sustains so many of the more lovable species of vermin.

If he had told me he was aiming for the ear hole I would have believed him. Trouble is the last time the rifle was shot it was shot at longer range and the scope could have easily been jostled since then. I told him to try for a body shot because of that. I had him shoot again this evening and the POI was a good inch from POA at less than 10 yards. Interesting tho in that his first shot was almost dead solid perfect but he was not able to recreate it without rest and scope adjustment... quite obvious he pulled the shot on the beast.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,251 Senior Member
    NEVER follow a wounded mouse into the monkey grass.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    :rotflmao:

Very nice story, your son must submit it to "Members Hunts"
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Once again the big middle-aged man armed with a powerful and accurate rimfire rifle triumphs over the little furry mammal......

Did same thing once, but that time the critter was inside my living room with dogs on close tail chase all over the furniture; my choice was poor since I used a Winchester Xpert22 high velocity lead hollow point, and took me a good part of the night to clean the messy gore. Fortunately the wife was out of town on a business trip!

Good shot, and....what rifle is that?
    Antonio sir! I was wondering IF someone was going to get around to that.

It is a Marlin 100G I found at the local pawn shop. Probably paid to much for it.... $65. I had to get raised rings for the bolt to clear scope for cleaning so I added the pad. The scope is a Bushnell 3-9 AO with finger adjustable turrets. Someone here suggested the scope for rimfires and I liked it so much I have 3 of them (wish I had gotton more as they are no longer available).

Oh and actually it was a bad shot that ended with a good result. I figure he pulled it just over an inch right and a bit more than that up.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Nice rifle; $ 65 for a bolt action Marlin is a steal for me.
    Hunting small game & plinking with .22LR I've concluded that 3-9x40mm is the perfect zoom range & lens size for this kind of shooting, mainly small targets inside the effective range of the cartridge with handy, light rifles used in assorted shooting positions and conditions.

What about the distance? From your description I'd guess a few yards, making a proper sighting & round trajectory calculation with a scope over a moving and irregulary-shaped target not easy tasks; an open-sighted rifle could have been a better choice if available and light condition had allowed it. Most recreational .22LR shooters usually set their rifles to hit POA @ 50-100 yards with a handful of their favorite ammo, but won't usually handle a proper 1st. and only shot like that with lower-velocity or lighter rounds (Such as .22 Short) with a different POI specially at short ranges.
    I agree that 3-9x40 is ideal, this one is 3-9x32 and works for me.

The range is right at 8 yards. Irons would have been good but this particular rifle is missing the elevation adjuster on the rear sight. I bought a replacement but it is the wrong size (good thing I got the full set but I haven't bothered to install it since the scope works so well). The rings are actually see thru so if the irons had been complete and adjusted for that range they would have been perfect. The last time I had shot the rifle was at about 25 yards and with 22lr so I knew the scope was not adjusted for that range and not having worked with it alot we had no clue how much to turn the turrets to get right. The rifle also had a busted butt plate, I did replace it and had to do some sanding to make it fit decently. I intend to free float the barrel and bed the action just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The target was still, he could see the head clearly but the rest of the beast was obscured by foliage. Knowing the scope was off he attempted a body shot but as you can see he didn't hit where he was intending. We tested the rifle the following day and found the scope to be about an inch low at that range, so I figure he pulled his shot about an inch and a quarter up and something like an inch and a half right. I made a target with a paper plate with dots the size of the tip of a king sized majic marker and his first shot was a tad low on the targetted dot. Subsequent rested shot revealed the descrepancy between POA and POI. All in all a very serendipitous result.