Tell me the pros and cons of Savage rifles........again

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,980 Senior Member
I think Zee (others) dislikes them almost as much as I do Tauruses. What's the big turn-off? Aesthetically do y'all think they is ugly or what?

They work and are/can be very accurate. I haven't gotten around to bench shooting my model 10 in .308 or the model 12 in .223 yet, just some impromptu shooting standing up and sitting on some steps, but know they are both capable of groups you can write home about.

Can't wait to take them girls out to a proper range. I know some think I should take them out using two laundry bags in case mine falls off.........:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,006 Senior Member
    Savage had a lot of issues with quality control, for a long time. I'd seen rifles that had guard screws installed that were to long, so when tightened the front screw would protrude into the bolt lug raceway. The factory fix was to loosen the screw until the bolt would close. I've also seen front swivel studs that went all the way through the forearm and pushed up on the barrel. They were also marketed as bargain rifles for the occasional user, like the guy that blows the dust off the same box of ammo he's had for ten years a week before deer season. Although when properly bedded and tweaked they are just as accurate as any other brand, they just can't get the "cheap" smell of off them. I just helped a friend find a hunting rifle and we picked a used 100 in 3006. I bedded it and tweaked the trigger and put a nice scope on it, and he still had less than $500 in it. But, it shoots great and he's happy with it.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    I think their main detractors either complain about aesthetics or Savage's past reputation as mentioned above. I have heard no complaints from my friends who have purchased recent ones (post Accu-trigger). Now that they go so far as to offer a package deal with a Nikon Pro-Staff instead of some el cheapo scope they are the first maker I suggest to people looking for a rifle.

The only real issue I have with them these days is they seem to be almost as expensive as a comparable Remington.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,259 Senior Member
    Savage has really stepped up their quality control recently. The spanner nut on the barrel makes a lot of sense on a barrel without iron sights, as it allows for quick, accurate headspace adjustment on the production line, and also makes barrel and chambering swaps simple between cartridges with the same boltface. The Accutrigger is a nod to the legal beagles, allowing the actual trigger letoff to be adjusted where it needs to be and still have a reasonably idiot-proof trigger.

Like the Remington receiver, the Savage can be produced on a CNC lathe without a lot of custom milling- - - -the downfall of designs like the Mauser and pre-64 Winchester that required a lot of attention by a skilled machinist. A round receiver isn't particularly better, or more accurate than a flat-bottomed one, it's sort of like a baby chick- - - - -"CHEEP-CHEEP-CHEEP"! Having the recoil lug sandwiched between the barrel shoulder and the receiver is another nod to production cost- - - -easy to mass-produce by stamping and grinding, no custom machining needed.

Practically all the "improvements" to the time-proven Mauser receiver design that have been introduced in the past 100 years are really just cost-cutting measures to improve the bottom line, regardless of what manufacturer is pinching pennies!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    I wanted a heavy barrel 30/06 and the only one that makes it is Savage. I had the Savage and a 308, 700 VLS side by side. The Accu trigger was to die for on the Savage the Remington not so much. As to look feel and quality the Remington beat it 3 ways to Sunday. The Savage felt like there was sand in the action then again there was that Accu trigger. After 20 mins of foundling both I ended up with the Remington.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Like everyone else I have heard a lot of bad with their quality over the years. Now with the hearsay over with I will move to practical experience; I own 1 savage rifle and it is a model 11 BGTH varmint rifle in .223. I have had this rifle for a few years now and it has given me no grief, good looking and an absolute tack driver. The accutrigger is not my favorite but it does work well, just not my cup of tea.
    Savagemod11BGT.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    What's not to like? They're usually very accurate, affordable, and have models to suit just about any taste.

I think that most of the detractors are judging them by what they were in the past, not what the are today.
    If you browse their product line, you'll find everything from parkerized/cheap plastic stock models to blued/walnut models, that come with handsome stock, and everything in between. The barrel nut has lost it's grooves, and kinda blends in nowadays.
    One of the other awesome things about Savage, you can call up and talk to the nice lady in the special order dept, and they'll build your rifle any way you want it, with a call from your FFL. Simple.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,738 Senior Member
    Savage 110 Tactical FTSS .308, with 20" SS fluted bull barrel + Remington Match ammo, using Sierra MatchKing 168gr. BTHP bullets = avatar

Carry on.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • the independentthe independent Member Posts: 52 Member
    Been shooting Savages since before shooting them was cool. It started with an old 340 in .222 of dad's I inherited. Every one looked at it and laughed until it when to my shoulder. More one shot kills than anyone. The laughing quit. Today more Savages than anything else in the house. They still do the work at an acceptable cost and acceptable appearance. What is not to like. The out come is there.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I am not overly fond of the looks of Savage rifles, but I am so fond of their accuracy I tolerate it. The last few I've owned including a couple Axis/Edge rifles all shot sub moa. I'm particularly fond of my 116 TH XP in 6.5-284. The only factory rifles I owned recently that have surpassed my Savages in out of the box accuracy are my Tikka T3s and they ain't beauty queens either:guns:
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    After 20 nano-seconds of foundling both I ended up with the Remington.
    Fixed it for ya......Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Been shooting Savages since before shooting them was cool.

Wait, what? When did it EVER become cool to shoot a Savage firearm? I'm afraid you are mistaken. You, my friend, are assuredly NOT cool.

:tooth:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    macho-man-randy-savage-national-holiday.jpg

Tell me..........what could POSSIBLY be cool about a Savage?
    untitled-1.jpg

Yeah, he gets the bell rung alright. But, yikes!!!!
    Zee wrote: »
    Wait, what? When did it EVER become cool to shoot a Savage firearm? I'm afraid you are mistaken. You, my friend, are assuredly NOT cool.

:tooth:

Shooting them is cool....000 Buck....or maybe some Tannerite tapped to it.... and a 308....sounds cool to me.......Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Shooting them is cool....000 Buck....or maybe some Tannerite tapped to it.... and a 308....sounds cool to me.......Ken

The only way it's cool to shoot a Savage.
    Lets not forget Miss Elizabeth.

WWEmisselizabeth_display_image-2.jpg
    Who is she?
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    :that:
    Buford wrote: »
    Lets not forget Miss Elizabeth.

WWEmisselizabeth_display_image-2.jpg
    I don't know....but would be be happy to preform a recon....and report back in a few days......Ken
    Who is she?

That was Mrs Savage for awhile. OD at 42 damn shame.
    cpj wrote: »
    Easy guys, that's my wife.

Time to wake up.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Time to wake up.
    Be nice. She might be blind like Buffy's wife.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Be nice. She might be blind like Buffy's wife.

Oh, I have no doubt that any lady seeking to marry CPJ overflows with angelic tendencies and only took on the project for humanitarian reasons.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Oh, I have no doubt that any lady seeking to marry CPJ overflows with angelic tendencies and only took on the project for humanitarian reasons.
    ...which also explains why we are married (not to each other-- to women).
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm a guy. Guys want results. If that woman wanted me to be a humanitarian project, I can dig it.

Speaking of, did you get the picture of the bow I sent you?
    Jermanator wrote: »
    ...which also explains why we are married (not to each other-- to women).

I am SO glad you added that last part.

:buff2:
    Same chick someone posted a different pic of here, recently.