Home Main Category Personal Defense

nephew possibly heading to Africa - but i dont know yet

tigman.uktigman.uk MemberPosts: 332 Member
so as the subject header suggests my nephew is very interested in doing this volunteer work in Africa he cant apply until he is 18 (august sometime, rubbish with birthdays) and seeing as the continent has major issues im thinking about getting him prepped for a situation been looking around the volunteer websites and cannot find anything that mentions security but plenty on war and terrorism, what would be the best suggestion anyone can give

im thinking flights and major range time with him being put through his paces, he has only fired an old .22 single shot bolt action i had a few years ago, bit of a pillock but he does listen

Replies

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Charity begins at home. There's plenty of volunteer work to be done right where he is.
  • tigman.uktigman.uk Member Posts: 332 Member
    i agree but he hasnt decided yet
    i have already told him to get his driving licence sorted out
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 783 Senior Member
    tigman.uk wrote: »
    what would be the best suggestion anyone can give

Tell him to stay the hell out of there. Honestly, unless he's a mercenary looking to make some fast cash, stay at home. It's noble wanting to help, and I commend him on that, but that's the last place he needs to be. Instead of preparing him for the trip, educate him on what's going on there and why and the reasons that you should avoid it unless absolutely necessary.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I'd like to go to Africa, too..
    but doing charity work wouldn't be the reason..

unless you include giving some meat to a tracker after the kill as charity work..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • BarrydBarryd Member Posts: 200 Member
    Africa is a big and diverse place. Any particular region or country?
    Barry
    to be honest, i dont think even he has that far ahead, i think Kenya was mentioned but i cant recall
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    One of the Air Force sergeants I worked with in Thailand chose to have his wife accompany him (at his own expense, BTW) on an assignment that the USAF called an "unaccompanied tour". She shared a VERY personal bit of information with me while we were volunteering at a base social services organization. Since she was basically a tourist, with no official connection to the US military, she carried enough cash money, well-concealed on her person, to get herself back to America in case of a serious emergency. The lady was very aware of her surroundings, and she was adept at several unarmed self-defense disciplines. Funds in a bank account somewhere, credit cards, etc. are more or less useless when the S H T F! Good old American dollars are, or at least used to be, close to universal currency worldwide.
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Tell him to be careful as to not end up in some Ubangi tribes cook-pot :yikes::yikes::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!