Home Main Category Personal Defense

Police fatally shoot naked student at Alabama college

1235»

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Gotta be careful messing with an old man- - - -he's too weak to fight, and too slow to run, so he just might have to kill you!
    Jerry
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Gawd this thread needs to die......
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Gawd this thread needs to die......

Some people are as stubborn as a Sand Mountain Mule, I'll never understand that :tooth::jester::rotflmao:

I do hate to see folks get mad/PO/irritated at each other on a thread who otherwise get along.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I for one did not get mad at you, We just disagree on some points.... like the ones on your haid ! you = :devil:

I = :angel2:

:rotflmao:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    And what do you suppose is holding YOUR halo up...hmmmmm? 0>;-).....LOL
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Some people are as stubborn as a Sand Mountain Mule, I'll never understand that :tooth::jester::rotflmao:
    Posts the man bumping his thread...........
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

I do hate to see folks get mad/PO/irritated at each other on a thread who otherwise get along.
    Posts the man bumping his thread...........

Posts the stubborn man, stubbornly bumping his thread.....

fixed it for yah !! :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • uscitizen1970uscitizen1970 New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I thought same thing until I saw on tv, a man attacked by a convict about 400lbs to victims 180 lbs. The convict was defending his psycho girl who had cut in line at a store and was upset that someone made a comment about it. So she goes to door, fetches Kong, and Kong commences to break victims eye socket and jaw before leaving with girl. I personally would have killed Kong while retreating; this was on camera after all. The point is that if someone charges someone with a gun presented, they are not of sound mind and are a threat to everyones safety. But cop should have had stun gun for this incident; all would have been well, except criminal experience with electricity.
    Ok , I'll play your game....provide a link to said altercation.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    20 bucks says he can't. Just like he will never find the other stats he posted about, where criminals wait for open carriers to leave the store before robbing it....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Let him talk- - - - -I've got a big putty knife and a wheelbarrow- - - - -getting good at scraping the fertilizer off the screen, and the garden needs it!
    Jerry
    OK, any new news on this subject? This thread would have died (pun intended :jester:) a long time ago if y'all would just come to your senses and agree with me.................:rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    I would have agreed with you if you weren't wrong. :whip2:
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    OK, any new news on this subject? This thread would have died (pun intended :jester:) a long time ago if y'all would just come to your senses and agree with me.................:rotflmao::rotflmao:

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=165439

I do agree, I agree that you are wrong !! :jester:
  • vgordonvgordon New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Sorry, but I'm with the policeman on this one. Just because the student was naked and apparently unarmed doesn't mean he didn't constitute a serious danger. Bare hands can kill or seriously injure. Just watch any Kevin Sorbo Hercules movie. Engaging in fisticuffs with a suspect can expose the policeman to many other dangers. What if the kid had a cold or flu? Why should a policeman risk catching that? Even worse, what if he had a communicable STD, AIDS or rabies and bit the officer? We spend a lot of tax dollars training and paying police officers and I don't want some misbehaving kid depriving me of that investment. Better to just shoot the perp.

As our CHL course instructor told us, "The only unarmed man is a man with no arms."
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    vgordon wrote: »
    As our CHL course instructor told us, "The only unarmed man is a man with no arms."

How very Zen/Yoda
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Lets take the cop factor out of it.

IF IT WERE YOU in the exact situation, what would you do?

ME? I go back inside and dial 911. I wake the wife and son and get backup if I want to deal with the guy. I follow the guy with MY handgun and I use it to prevent an attack on someone else. I grab a broom and use it to trip the guy. I bash him up side the haid with a shovel. The COP may not have the same leeway as I do. The guy is someones son/grandson/great grandson, I sure do not want to face that momma with even the inkling I could have dones something other than put her "boy" in the ground.

Shucks I do not want to face my own momma after putting someones baby in the ground. She liable to whomp me up side tha haid with my own shovel.
    Grand Jury found the cop innocent of any wrong doing, I just read on the Internet when I Googled it. Kid was on some kind of experimental drug, not yet listed as banned.

I haven't changed my viewpoint though!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I guess it is illegal to be naked in public and he was charging the cop. But where's the real threat? I mean this is more of a joke than a threat, especially to a cop, an armed cop at that. Also, why didn't the cop call for help? I don't like to second guess LEOs but this seems excessive in the least.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I smell Diesel fuel. Where's the backhoe that dug up this zombie thread? The kid was on "bath salts", a type of synthetic pot that does really weird things to a lot of people. It's been banned in Alabama, with really big fines and jail terms for any business found selling it. Several kids have died from it.
    Jerry
    http://blog.al.com/live/2013/03/university_of_south_alabama_co_3.html

University of South Alabama cop cleared in shooting; Gil Collar high on rare chemical
    Brendan Kirby | [email protected] By Brendan Kirby | [email protected]
    on March 01, 2013 at 1:41 PM, updated March 01, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    Print

Collar parents. e Gil Collar's parents, Kent and Bonnie Collar, joined Montgomery attorney Jere Beasley at a press conference Oct. 11, 2012. A Mobile County grand jury on Friday, March 1, 2013, cleared a University of South Alabama police officer in the fatal shooting. (Erin Edgemon/[email protected])

MOBILE, Alabama – A grand jury today cleared a University of South Alabama police officer of wrongdoing in the shooting of a student who authorities say ingested a rare and potent research chemical that caused him to act wildly in October.

The shooting of the naked and erratic Gil Collar on Oct. 6 shocked his fellow students, who wondered how the popular and well-adjusted Wetumpka native
    Ashley Rich Gil Collar
    Ashley Rich Gil Collar Watch video
    could have behaved so strangely hours after attending the BayFest music festival downtown.

This afternoon, Mobile County District Attorney Ashley Rich provided the answer: Collar had ingested a tiny amount of a substance called 25I-C-NBOMe, a research chemical created for the laboratory within the last six years.

As for the officer, Rich said that a surveillance video and other evidence confirm that Officer Trevis Austin acted justifiably when Collar charged at him in the early morning hours.

“We explored every single aspect of this investigation,” she said.

Little is known about the effects of 25I, Rich said. She said it is similar to LSD and is “extremely lethal and extremely dangerous.” Nine hits can fit on a single postage stamp, she said, demonstrating with a picture of the substance. She said it can be purchased for as little as $10 a hit.
    Ashley_rich_drug.jpg View full size Mobile County District Attorney Ashley Rich shows the size of the lethal chemical found in Gil Collar's body the night he died. The officer involved in the shooting was cleared of wrongdoing by a grand jury. (Brendan Kirby/[email protected])

Rich said investigators tracked down Collar’s source, a friend of a friend who brought it to Mobile from Birmingham, where he had ordered from out of the country. But she said that the chemical is not listed on the state’s list of controlled substances and, therefore, she has no jurisdiction to bring criminal charges against the supplier.

The prosecutor recounted a long list of community leaders, from Collar’s former high school wrestling teammates to a circuit court judge in his home county to his local state representative, who have praised his character. He was a peacemaker, she said.

Rich said Collar was the same person on that Saturday morning in October. “However, one thing had changed. He decided to ingest a substance, a research chemical known as 25I,” she said. “More than likely, after the powerful hallucinogenic effects had worn off, he would have gone back to being that very person that was described by so many community leaders.”

Rich described the sequence of events leading to the shooting. She said Collar, naked and rambling incoherently, screamed at the frightened occupants of a passing car. He approached a second vehicle yelling “nonsense” while trying to climb over the driver into the car, she said.

All the while, Rich said, Collar was biting the driver. The passenger, a former University of South Alabama football player, was punching Collar in the face but “it didn’t faze Collar,” she said.

Finally, the driver and passenger managed to get Collar out of the vehicle, and then he took off toward the university Police Department for what would be the fatal confrontation with Austin.

Updated at 2:30 p.m. with additional information.
    OK, hadn't seen that update! The synthetic pot angle was pretty heavily covered early in the investigation, as the "bath salts" sting operations on Huntsville convenience stores were in progress about the time this incident happened.
    Jerry
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Bath salts do weird things to people, the guys on the engine had one that it took 2 cops, 3 medics, and 3 firemen to wrestle him down. They barely got him in cuffs and strapped to a cot to get him to the hospital.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Bath salts do weird things to people, the guys on the engine had one that it took 2 cops, 3 medics, and 3 firemen to wrestle him down. They barely got him in cuffs and strapped to a cot to get him to the hospital.

........not just strong and unruly but very violent and ready to do bad things to loved ones as well as strangers. Bad stuff. I've known some kids involved with the stuff. Biters, scratchers, and beaters. Threating to kill every one in the family. Bad stuff.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    So the kid was tripping on some sort of synthetic psychotropic drug, had attacked other people, was completely unfazed by getting punched in the face multiple times by a football player, and was coming after the cop.........and some of y'all are still saying that it wasn't justified?

:roll:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    So the kid was tripping on some sort of synthetic psychotropic drug, had attacked other people, was completely unfazed by getting punched in the face multiple times by a football player, and was coming after the cop.........and some of y'all are still saying that it wasn't justified?

:roll:

Sort of where I'm at too....
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    :that:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY