Acting IRS Commissioner Resigns

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,427 Senior Member
I guess it wasn't just another conspiracy theory after all...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/politics/irs-conservative-targeting/index.html
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    Nothing to see here...move along.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    He was in a temp position and was set to depart in June anyway.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,924 Senior Member
    Remove the pawns to protect the king.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I have a feeling, he's gonna run out of Pawns.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

The IRS scandal is beginning to explode into much more than a few IRS employees at one office taking it upon themselves to harass conservative groups. Lady from a Tea Party group said last night lawsuits are pending.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    They gonna toss Hillary under the Benghazi Buss? Hope so! :up: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,019 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Fall guy, sacrificial lamb, etc.
    Remove the pawns to protect the king.
    Yep :cuss:
    We can only hope.
    And to think Dems used to refer to Regan as "the teflon president"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SideOfBaconSideOfBacon Member Posts: 111 Member
    I doubt Miller had anything at all to do with this. He was only going to be acting from after the election to a month from now. He likely already had his next job lined up, saw this and decided to leave as early as possible. The actual commissioner Doug Shulman before him was there for the election and Obama's first term. But he was a Bush appointee, so I doubt he had anything to do with this either.

In the end, the TEGE (Tax Exempt/Govt Entity) employees they've mentioned had donated a lot of personal money to the Obama campaign. I think we need to check and see what communication they had with the whitehouse. These strategy decisions need to be approved at at least senior manager and junior execs level too. So check them as well.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Joseph Goebbels quotes

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Herr Obama has learned a few lessons from history, even if he has ignored how Benito Mussolini and Muammar Khadafi ended up!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,026 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Joseph Goebbels quotes

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Herr Obama has learned a few lessons from history, even if he has ignored how Benito Mussolini and Muammar Khadafi ended up!
    Jerry

Yeah, just like 76% of NRA members want more stringent background checks! "It was a LONG LONG time ago" & "What difference does it make?" More lies from the same old liars!
    This IRS weasel has been on the hot seat for several hours, and he hasn't answered a question honestly yet. He needs the be swinging in the breeze from a short rope attached to a tall lamp post, with the birds pecking at his eyes, along with a bunch of other non-elected bureaucrats who slavishly obey the orders of their political bosses!
    Jerry
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    This IRS weasel has been on the hot seat for several hours, and he hasn't answered a question honestly yet. He needs the be swinging in the breeze from a short rope attached to a tall lamp post, with the birds pecking at his eyes, along with a bunch of other non-elected bureaucrats who slavishly obey the orders of their political bosses!
    Jerry

I watched some of today's hearing, and weasel is the word I came up with, too, to describe Miller. What makes the maddest is that no one will name names. "We know what happened, but we don't know who is responsilbe" crap is getting old. That's what Obama and his administration have been telling us regarding every scandal that's came up. That, and "we'll investigate and get back to you." Then, when you ask how the investigation going, you get told that it happened a "long time ago" and is old news.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    When you take each scandal on it's own merit, it can be 'explained' in such a way as to diminish it's importance. When you put the IRS thing together with the Benghazi thing, the AP bugging thing, the Fast and Furious thing, Sebelius shaking down private industry to help fund O-care implementation and then throw in the administration's apparent arrogance...well, let's just say it's getting harder to not see black helicopters hovering everywhere.
    George Carlin
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    I want to see a perp walk in orange jumps suits, otherwise what's the point. I'm thinking many a 100 orange
    Jump suits from the IRS alone. never happen though,I don't think the Republicans have the stomach for it!
    They all violated the Hatch act and should serve jail time, otherwise this crap will continue.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 403 Member
    Add to the above, the 'coincidental' audits by anyone who lends support to a conservative cause, after they make their intentions known....and you have to be blind not to see what's happening. The outright harassment of the True The Vote group comes to mind. It's no wonder the libs want to see 'case closed' on the whole friggin' mess. The more we learn, the worse it gets.

I say keep peeling one layer at a time, and let the chips fall. I don't think this is what O had in mind when he spoke of transparency. We get it.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,190 Senior Member
    IRS is under Treasury Department. ATF is under Treasury Department. Cross contamination???!!!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

I keep waiting for some enterprising, intrepid young reporter to find and kick out the 2X4 holding up this whole stinking mess. The problem is, what happens then? How bad can this get?
    George Carlin
    tennmike wrote: »
    IRS is under Treasury Department. ATF is under Treasury Department. Cross contamination???!!!

ATF is in the Justice Dept. You might be thinking of the Secret Service that used to be in Treasury. They started as an anti-counterfeit team that later went on to guard the president and others. But they were wrapped into Homeland Security about 10 years ago.
    A woman who was on the Huckabee show last night has been targeted by 17 government agency investigations since trying to organize a conservative group under the "non-profit" umbrella. Her business has been harassed by IRS, OSHA, and a bunch of other government thugs, costing her thousands of dollars in legal fees, etc. as well as untold numbers of hours wasted providing records to the bureaucrats. The previous 18 years she's been in business- - - - -NO interaction with the fed JBT's! That's approximately what happened to Gibson Guitars in Nashville, over some wood they imported for making fret boards for their instruments. The feebs raided the factory at gunpoint and confiscated all their materials! Then they refused to file any charges for months!
    Jerry
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    David Axelrod; "We have a large government." Said as an excuse in response to how "mid level" IRS agents could do this on their own. My response: "And they were harassing the very people who were trying to help with that large government problem. Kinda makes it seem as though you don't want the "large government problem" fixed, sir."
    Dr. db wrote: »
    David Axelrod; "We have a large government." Said as an excuse in response to how "mid level" IRS agents could do this on their own. My response: "And they were harassing the very people who were trying to help with that large government problem. Kinda makes it seem as though you don't want the "large government problem" fixed, sir."

I mean, I understand how to get away with it:

Sir, we have been receiving twice as many Tax Exempt applications this year. My proposal is to put together a task force with existing employees to categorize the applications and approach the similar ones with the same criteria. This will allow us to use existing staff to more efficiently tackle the issue without the need for contractors or pulling in staff from other units who are also doing more with less in these turbulent budget times.
    With this task force in place, we will be more efficient, and be able to complete these similar applications without putting undue burden on our resources and still complete our mission of examining all applications coming in from these organizations.

All of that would be legit and easily signed off by the executives.

The issue is simply that the criteria turned out to be "Conservative, Tea Party Groups" and the approach was "burden them with questions until they give up." That part is illegal. But if you phrase something right, I bet you can get the execs to sign off on it. Even if it's very illegal.
    Did anybody else get a good look at the woman who was in charge of that harassment program- - - -the one who got promoted to run the new health care division of the IRS? That's one scary face- - - - -stopping a clock would be child's play, and making a freight train take a dirt road wouldn't be much of a problem! She's probably got a testosterone level that would make John Wayne look like a wuss!
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    Jerry

The Republicans need to pool their time and give it to the most experienced interrogator, so he can pin this ambulance chasing lawyer down. Since he can't remember the answers to any of their questions, they need to ask him what he can remember - like the names of his immediate subordinate, the names of his staff, when they brief him, what orders he has given that he can remember, etc. Work him into a hole with details, or make an even bigger fool of him. Ask him who selected him for the job, etc.

It won't happen, though, because politicians being politicians, they all need face time on national TV. So, let's cut to the chase and start prosecuting the ones who clearly lied to Congress over the last two years of hearings on this subject, and see if any of them will cut a deal to rat out the real culprits.