Random thoughts concerning dear leader (aka president Dumbo) and the current scandals

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,750 Senior Member
He's either the most dishonest/corrupt president in my lifetime and knew about, had a hand in or issued orders for "fast & Furious", the Benghazi cover-up, the IRS "attack" on conservative groups and the illegal seizure of phone records and is lying to try and cover his "assets" about them
OR
He is the most inept president of my lifetime and the thugs he has put in the position of power are running amuck right under his nose (or ears in his case) and he's to dumb to see it.

(For the record LBJ was the President when I was born)

Your thoughts?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Change the OR to AND
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,960 Senior Member
    It's both. He's placed a huge gang of crooks in the government to do what he should be taking care of, and they are doing what crooks do; breaking the law and hoping to not get caught. Well, they got caught, and like a big herd of cats using the same litter box, they can't get their mess covered up without uncovering someone else's steaming pile. Depending on how all the hearings come out, he could be as impotent politically for the rest of his term as a steer is in a herd.

He's got that herd of people taking care of things he should be managing, and when they hose it up, he uses them to place the blame. He's the most lazy and useless manager possible. And when the worthless manager is the POTUS, nothing good will come of it. He'd find a way to screw up a one cow, one bull cattle ranch.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Will someone explain to me why he has a 50 percent approval rating. I guess there are than many stupid people of the polls seek out the most stupid to ask. Oblivits media domination has caused the dummy's that feel its true if they saw it on TV or the Internet. Makes me crazy. :down: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,676 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    the illegal seizure of phone records

One correction here. There was absolutely nothing illegal about the phone records seizure and THAT is the problem. The patriot act gave the president this power and it needs to be repealed.

BTW this was just obtaining phone records and not even the apparently legal ongoing "secret" warrantless wiretapping program that the 5 conservative supreme court justices refused to rule unconstitutional a few months back.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/1/4043944/denied-in-the-supreme-court-warrantless-wiretap-opponents-are-losing

My only hope is that now that Obama is starting to use all these questionable powers that Bush grabbed for himself post 9/11 that we'll actually start getting some conservatives on the bandwagon to fight against this kinda crap.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,750 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Will someone explain to me why he has a 50 percent approval rating. I guess there are than many stupid people of the polls seek out the most stupid to ask. Oblivits media domination has caused the dummy's that feel its true if they saw it on TV or the Internet. Makes me crazy. :down: Later,
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Because over 50% of the people in this country have a sub-par IQ.
    I sort of disagree with Wambli, I'm not sure "Sub-par IQ" really covers it. The fact is, over 50% of the voting public has figured out they can vote themselves either "raises" or "pay cuts". Given those choices, what are most people of "normal intelligence" going to choose?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Okay smookie, even if he gets a pass on the phone records, still leaves the other 3. How ya plan on making THEM Bush's fault? :roll:
    Oh wait, you CAN'T, guess ol bat ears OWNS those.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,592 Senior Member
    Okay smookie, even if he gets a pass on the phone records, still leaves the other 3. How ya plan on making THEM Bush's fault? :roll:

Beat me to it!! I was just going to ask when will it stop being Mr. Bush's fault? It has been over 4 years since he departed office.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Beat me to it!! I was just going to ask when will it stop being Mr. Bush's fault? It has been over 4 years since he departed office.

It's not about Bush's fault or Obama's fault. Maybe for once we could all stop trying to score political points against the other side, recognize both parties are power hungry and start working together to say enough is enough. As long as we're all riled up in a my team vs. your team battle we're too distracted to realize that they're all on the same team and it's not ours.

My biggest complaint about Obama who has in fact been a huge disappointment to me is his stance on civil liberties. Contrary to his campaign promises he has taken every ounce of power that Bush gave him and run with it and continued to expand it so he can play tough on terror.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,640 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »

I'm with alpha on this. When PA I & II were passed; the crowd here cheered for it. Those of us that tried to explain that this presidential power grab will bite us in the butt, the cheerleaders called us a bunch of bleeding heart liberals. I remember individuals that explained to me that "it only applies to oversees." Or worse, "if you haven't got anything to hide, why worry about it".

Now that Obama is wielding the EXACT same power, it is somehow politically corrupt.

Did Bush and the republican congress really think the PA would NEVER be abused?
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    Smookie, PLEASE re-read the original post.
    Either bat ears had a hand in, or at least KNEW what was going on and is the most corrupt, or he honestly didn't have a clue and is the most inept. Can't be neither or both, so pick one per scandal and own it.
    You know how I handle your normal attempts at deflection, I ignore them and take you to task on the topic at hand, NOT the one you're hoping to deflect it too.

Calli, please re-read post #8.
    We've moved on past the PA, please try and keep up :roll:

That's the problem! We shouldn't move past the PA. It is a major source of much of the power that is currently being abused
    -DoctorWho
    Smookie, PLEASE re-read the original post.
    Either bat ears had a hand in, or at least KNEW what was going on and is the most corrupt, or he honestly didn't have a clue and is the most inept. Can't be neither or both, so pick one per scandal and own it.
    You know how I handle your normal attempts at deflection, I ignore them and take you to task on the topic at hand, NOT the one you're hoping to deflect it too.

I've addressed each of these in turn on many occasions in other threads. To your central question of corrupt vs. inept given the choice I almost always go with inept as the more likely answer although there is no doubt some level of corruption, although in most cases the corruption is due to attempts to cover-up the ineptitude.

Line by line:
    Fast and Furious - Was a stupid strategy intended to attack the challenging problem of the epidemic of lying on the form 4473 in border states that helped the flow of arms across the southern border. It was a dumb idea and so they then tried to cover up their stupidity and incompetence.

Benghazi - Was something that probably couldn't have been prevented, but could possibly have been handled better and also didn't fit the campaign messaging so they downplayed it in the media.

IRS - was again a stupid strategy to try and deal with again a very difficult rule to enforce. 501c4 organizations are not supposed to be primarily political, but citizens united opened the flood gates and they became the preferred vehicle for undisclosed campaign donations in the 2010 election. The IRS was responsible for determining if an organization was primarily political, in the process they used words that singled out conservative political groups (we've still not seen the full list of words used BTW and if it included any terms that would single out liberal groups as well). Either way, the way it was approached was at a minimum colossally stupid from a political optics perspective. I've said before I think the more interesting aspect of the IRS story appears to be that the higher ups at the IRS cracked down on this process about the same time Obama and Liberals started to see how effective the 501c4 groups could be at funneling undisclosed big money funds to their campaigns. This one seems more incompetence with less cover-up.
    -DoctorWho
    No smookie, we aren't turning this thread into a bashing of the PA, you're intelligent enough to know what I meant, yet you're trying your damnedest to take it out of context and re-direct this thread into something less damming to ol' bat ears.
    Re-direct....... FAIL

edited to add:
    BTW, still waiting for your "It's not his fault" defense for ol bat ears concerning the other 3 scandals

BTW, still waiting for your "It's not his fault" defense for ol bat ears concerning the other 3 scandals

Hit refresh
    -DoctorWho
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,640 Senior Member

Sorry, I forgot the first rule of republicanism: It's always ok if a republican passes it or does it. The same exact act is despicable if a democrat does it.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    Nice of you to edit it in after the fact :roll:

Nice of you to edit it in after the fact :roll:

I edited for spelling and a repeated word? Really?
    -DoctorWho
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot the first rule of republicanism: It's always ok if a republican passes it or does it. The same exact act is despicable if a democrat does it.
    Since you apparently STILL haven't read post # 8, here it is AGAIN
    Notice, due to the PA, he got a "pass" on the phone records deal.

See, we've moved on, how hard is that to understand???

The patriot act doesn't have a dammed thing to do with the other three scandals that mookie's working his hardest to gloss over

I edited for spelling and a repeated word? Really?
    How many different ways are you going to try and deflect the gist of this thread from the untenable position you find yourself in?

It used to be fun to come in here and debate topics with you, but you've turned into a cheap street magician who's only trick is trying to draw our attention away from the real event :roll:
    Guess when "your man" has stepped into so much sheep dip, that's the only hope you've got left

How many different ways are you going to try and deflect the gist of this thread from the untenable position you find yourself in?

Who's doing the deflecting now Paul? You've made 5 posts since I answered your original topic and not one addresses my answer.
    -DoctorWho
    Who's doing the deflecting now Paul? You've made 5 posts since I answered your original topic and not one addresses my answer.
    Ain't deflecting a damned thing, I stated MY position when I started this thread.

Another nice try though, but yet another FAIL

And didn't have to go back and edit it in

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    OK, the PA may allow the phone records, but there was a reason the AP folks were upset beacuse they did it without doing something else...what was that..I forgot??????

Also, a Fox reporters ID badge was tracked and other stuff while looking for the "Leak" The reporters are saying the leaker/source has always been rooted out, but not the reporters who claim 1A violations???????

I smell a rat.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Ain't deflecting a damned thing, I stated MY position when I started this thread.

Another nice try though, but yet another FAIL

And didn't have to go back and edit it in

Then I guess we're done here. Next topic...
    -DoctorWho
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    All I have to say is Nixon didn't have anything on Obummer!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    OK, the PA may allow the phone records, but there was a reason the AP folks were upset beacuse they did it without doing something else...what was that..I forgot??????

Also, a Fox reporters ID badge was tracked and other stuff while looking for the "Leak" The reporters are saying the leaker/source has always been rooted out, but not the reporters who claim 1A violations???????

I smell a rat.

The rat is the fact that we have granted to the power to our government to trace phone and internet activity, track, monitor, wiretap, etc. anyone in the country, without question, often without a warrant, as long as they say the magic words "national security".

Oh you mean you guys thought those powers would only be used against foreign Muslims?
    -DoctorWho
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Because over 50% of the people in this country have a sub-par IQ.

And because the "takers" now outnumber the givers. Over 50% of the people now think no further than, "Which prez will give me more free stuff?" and vote accordingly.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    Oh you mean you guys thought those powers would only be used against foreign Muslims?

He's right. In fact, he's exactly right. This isn't the first time the Congress and/or the electorate has given away rights and powers in the name of national security or public safety (common sense regs, you understand) only to see those self-same powers subsequently shoved up the digestive tract termini of the people at large. This isn't the first time, nor is it likely to be the last.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I think the three scandals are more a problem of having the wrong people in positions of power.

Obama personally gets the blame, that's fine. That's the way it works. Presidents get the credit for the good times and take the blame for the bad, regardless of their influence.

But.... I think Obama's failing is more an issue of him being a piss poor leader, rather than an evil overlord. I believe he was just comfortable with F&F, for example and then had no idea how to handle the fallout when it became public.

Benghazi? He had no idea WHAT to do. He's proven yet again that he is a man of reaction, not planning and circumvention. He has flunkies to fall on their swords for this kind of thing.

But the thing that troubles me the most, and I hate to say it, but its the ever expanding use of the denial of our civil liberties, and as CaliFFL correctly pointed out, I was one of the cheerleaders who backed Bush's push for the Patriot Act.

I was myopic on that issue, and now the camel is busy pushing the rest of his body under the tent.