Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

"Not a hate crime" White family attacked at gas station/"Wrong Neighborhood"

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
:mad::mad::mad::angry:

http://www.wafb.com/story/22240991/family-attacked-for-being-in-wrong-neighborhood

"At the corner of Plank Rd. and Scenic Highway sits a Chevron gas station. It's off I-110 near Memorial Stadium. Around 10 p.m.Sunday, a family stopped here to get gas. "Upon our arrival, we located A man said he, his wife and his daughter were all punched because they were in the "wrong neighborhood" when they stopped to get gas at night.
It went on to read, "the defendant told him he was in the wrong neighborhood and he was not going to make it out." The victim said that's when he "was punched and knocked to the ground."

At this time, his wife got out of the car and ran to help her husband. The victim said, "he continued to struggle with the defendant and was eventually knocked unconscious, which later he awoke in the hospital."

His wife told police, "after running to help her husband, she remembers falling to the ground and (being) knocked unconscious."

According to a close family friend, that's when the couple's teenage daughter got out of the car to check on her parents and, "observed a female punch her mother in the face, when her mother then fell to the concrete, hitting her head on the surface."

The daughter was also punched in the face.

"There were only three suspects but there were multiple people in the parking lot," said Stubbs.

The owners of the gas station did not want to comment on camera, but said there's a wide variety of customers in and out of the store in the daytime. At night, though, it's not the safest of places, especially with the area having some of the highest crime in the city.

"It was a small scene but it got to be a big scene after the fight broke out and it was a big scene when the police came," said Keisha Henderson, a witness.

Stubbs said a man wearing a pink shirt was in line trying to pay for gas when Donald Dickerson, 41, started making fun of him, leading to an argument.

"The defendant (Dickerson) approached the white male victim," the police report stated

Of those three, Dickerson was arrested and charged with second-degree battery. The other two suspects, Devin Bessye, 24, and Ashley Simmons, 22, were released on site after police wrote them each a summons for simple battery.

When police were questioned about why all three defendants were not charged with felony second degree battery, Stubbs responded, "Because you have to have disfigurement for a second-degree battery charge, and only one victim had disfigurement and he was attacked by the one suspect that we booked."

However, Louisiana law defines second-degree battery as "bodily injury which involves unconsciousness, extreme physical pain or protracted and obvious disfigurement."

The victim suffered "a broken eye socket, broken nose, and several lacerations to the face," and his wife was knocked unconscious.

"I feel that's racist," said Henderson.

As to why officers only charged one suspect with second-degree battery, police said under former Police Chief Dewayne White, officers were told to take all offenders to prison. Towards the end of his term, the policy changed and officers were told to use discretion. That's the policy in place now.

As to whether this falls under a hate crime, police said early reports show it does not meet the statute but remains under investigation.

All three defendants, Dickerson, Bessye and Simmons, have had run-ins with the law prior to Sunday's incident"

http://www.wafb.com/story/22240991/family-attacked-for-being-in-wrong-neighborhood
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I just gotta say it, Wonder how it would have turned out if it was a black family in a white neighborhood? I know there are good and bad in every race but it just seems to me it's not the majority of caucasions that are racist anymore. If we are going to be equal then lets be equal!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I don't know how it is today, but back as late as the 70s Vidor Texas out of Beaumont, was like this if you were black. But that was before the phrase "Hate Crime" was coined.

It's sad to say, but even in this day and age, there's places you don't go after dark. That's if you're white or if you're black or if you're brown. But I agree, this is hate driven crime, I don't care who the perps are.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I'm not going to comment on this one cause I'll get in trouble for sure. :angry: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,187 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    I'm not going to comment on this one cause I'll get in trouble for sure. :angry: Later,

What he said. As far as hate crimes go, it appears that the laws are enforced one way when the accused are caucasian and a very different way when the accused are minorities. This has got to stop.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I don't know how it is today, but back as late as the 70s Vidor Texas out of Beaumont, was like this if you were black. But that was before the phrase "Hate Crime" was coined.

It's sad to say, but even in this day and age, there's places you don't go after dark. That's if you're white or if you're black or if you're brown. But I agree, this is hate driven crime, I don't care who the perps are.

Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the FBI Hate Crimes Unit would be on it like stink on a turd pile, that's what. Obviously they were attacked because they were white and in the "Wrong Neighborhood" . I hope further charges are made against the others who only got a citation.

Hate crime prosecution shouldn't be a one-way street, it should apply equally to all Americans.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    All crimes are hate crimes to one degree or another. To add enhanced penalties because of race, sexual orientation,etc., is just saying you think jurors are too stupid to make an intelligent decision.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "The Lord made us free- - - - -Sam Colt made us equal". Thank the Lord and Sam Colt for the equalizer that would have kept those people from getting hurt! Want to bet the victims were a bunch of liberals who depend on the police for protection?
    Jerry
    UPDATE: FBI may step in to help BRPD with gas station investigation

http://www.wafb.com/story/22253278/fbi-may-step-in-to-help-brpd

Good, the victims and public outrage may have got their attention to investigate further.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    UPDATE: FBI may step in to help BRPD with gas station investigation

http://www.wafb.com/story/22253278/fbi-may-step-in-to-help-brpd

Good, the victims and public outrage may have got their attention to investigate further.

Sounds like they are going to make things right. Too bad it took a lot of public outrage for it to happen.

Like I said earlier:
    "If we are going to be equal then let's be equal!"
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    timc wrote: »
    Sounds like they are going to make things right.

Don't hold your breath until it happens. Liberal judges, pot-stirring lawyers, and the likes of Jackson, Sharpton, and the other professional crybabies will cloud the issue with claims of "racism" until it fades away to nothing, and Odumbo will make some sort of profoundly stupid comment in the process. deja vu all over again!
    Jerry
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    What we need to do is outlaw gas stations, and pink shirts, to ensure that this kind of thing won't happen again.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Look on "The Blaze" Glen Becks web site and you can see the news report and pictures of the crack head offender. Why can't one of these offenders tell one of US that we're in the wrong neighborhood and try to punch one of US? We may be in the wrong neighborhood but you don't have on any body armor. Oh my goodness! You're leaking on the parking lot. I'm glad I have a bandaid for you. :win: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    There ought to be a law that an entire family can't be savagely beaten for a wisecrack made by only one of its members.
    bisley wrote: »
    There ought to be a law that an entire family can't be savagely beaten for a wisecrack made by only one of its members.

Noooooo, a wisecrack law will only stop law abiding citizens from making wisecracks, the criminals will still use wisecracks whenever they want! Haven't you learned anything we've taught you?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,721 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

What wisecrack was made?
    A double tap to the crotch area usually makes even the baddest of the bad-donkeys forget about what he was saying, or so I've heard.
    Jerry
  • BePreparedBePrepared New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    That would be a good place to play "Death Wish"
    Death%20Wish%2021.JPG
    Even a CCW is no guarantee you won't get sucker-punched. However- - - - -if Mama was also packing, I'll bet they wouldn't have gotten in very many hits after the first one, and the two women wouldn't have been harmed at all.
    Jerry
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    BePrepared wrote: »
    That would be a good place to play "Death Wish"
    Death%20Wish%2021.JPG

:uhm::roll::bang:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    :uhm::roll::bang:

Hey Slant where ya been lately?
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »

:that::agree:
    "It is what it is":usa:
    There's a certain amount of risk about being in a lot of places and not fitting the ethnic profile. While all of us have the right to be virtually anywhere we choose to be, having the wisdom not to go to some of those places is probably more important than tempting fate. There's a lot of places in Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, and Birmingham where I'd be a little uncomfortable, even in daylight, and I'd avoid them altogether late at night. I had to make a gasoline stop in St. Louis in the wee hours of the morning, and it was obvious I'd made a really poor choice of neighborhoods. I grabbed a few gallons from a self-service pump at a closed convenience store, and headed right back to the highway! Even a pocket rocket didn't make me feel very secure!
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,721 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    There's a certain amount of risk about being in a lot of places and not fitting the ethnic profile. While all of us have the right to be virtually anywhere we choose to be, having the wisdom not to go to some of those places is probably more important than tempting fate. There's a lot of places in Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, and Birmingham where I'd be a little uncomfortable, even in daylight, and I'd avoid them altogether late at night. I had to make a gasoline stop in St. Louis in the wee hours of the morning, and it was obvious I'd made a really poor choice of neighborhoods. I grabbed a few gallons from a self-service pump at a closed convenience store, and headed right back to the highway! Even a pocket rocket didn't make me feel very secure!
    Jerry

Therein lies the problem.

A very serious problem!

Morality is a long lost art.
    The funny (ironic, not hilarious) thing about that place- - - -you were probably safer there than on a crowded downtown street in New York!
    Jerry
  • GuardrailGuardrail New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    I would have been more worried about the 4 legged bad guys.

Guardrail
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If it was me being hit the perp(s) would have been in for one UGLY surprise.

I have no doubt, but can you imagine the headlines if the guy in the pink shirt would have put these two thugs in the hospital/morgue? NOW it would have been all about racism...."White Bigot Guns Down Two with Assault Rifle, Arms Cache Discovered in Van...Family members report "They were good boys who only ventured out to buy baby formula...." "
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    We stopped in Little Rock Arkansas way back in the 80s for gas. A sign taped to the pump says pay cashier first. This was long before you could pay at the pump, folks usually pumped and then went inside and paid. I went in and tried to hand the man a $ 20 dollar bill and he said what's that for, I said to cover the gas I'm gonna pump...he says go ahead you are white ain't you!

Ate at a Pizza Inn or Hut and then got into a neighborhood trying to get back to the Interstate where we were getting some very hostile dirty looks. I had borrowed the or swapped guns with the old man and had his (now mine, I inherited) model 13 loaded with American Eagle 158 grain .357 JSPs, my "Highway" load. It gave me great comfort on the front seat in a holster next to me. The girls were little back then and didn't catch all the hatered and racial tension in the air, you could literally feel/sense it in Little Rock or the area we were in.

Anyway, got turned around and back on the highway and I was very relieved to get outta there.
    I've stopped in a few places and drove right past the pumps and found another place to get gas. Usually a quick scan of the area and/or a gut feeling is what motivates me to stay or go and sometimes the price per gallon, especially if the last exit was 10-20 cents less a gallon and I have enough to keep going!

And don't get me wrong, I'm live and let live. I've stopped in places that were predominately black, white, Hispanic or whatever and it makes no difference to me.

As stated, these days bad things can happen anyplace at any time to anyone. However it would behoove all us to try and use some common sense about our selections when possible.