Home Main Category Clubhouse

Houston area "makeup" shoot -- any takers?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
I'd like to arrange a Houston area small-potatoes shoot at a local gun range sometime this summer. I can't provide the venue myself because the landlord and local cops just don't see my logic as impeccable, wanting to set up a 50-ft range inside my apartment.

Cops also aren't too keen on my using the Houston streets as an improv range, either. I tried to reason with them, saying that in the ghetto, it's done all the time, but they say that's a "Chicago thing" and that Houston isn't vying for first place in that category.

So we'd probably have to choose a commercial range here to satisfy our thirst for gunfire. Then of course we'd adjourn to a suitable pub or tavern to satisfy our thirst for other good things in life.

I'd like to settle on some Saturday afternoon that's convenient for others, not a holiday probably, helping traffic be less is good.

Any takers? Ideas? Whatever? And yeah, I know the SE Shoot was a great time and I'll bend heaven and earth to attend next year. But in the interim, maybe a substitute local meet?

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I'm obviously not speaking for anyone else, but I know that two of the folks that went to the "Texas Shoot" last year (Shotgunshooter3 and Big Chief), are now in Alabama.
  • softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    Houston isn't a huge drive from over here in Austin... but my weekend schedule is booked crazily busy this year with my wife's triathalon schedule and a few other commitments so unless the date is a lucky coincidence to be free, I probably would not be able to make it.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -Houston isn't out of the question for a bike trip, as long as you pick a date when the weather isn't freezing! I wonder how the local gendarmes would react to a guy on a Gold Wing with 3 or 4 long guns strapped to it? Better make that trip a "handguns only" ride!

BTW, Sam, I had full intentions of wearing the Montrose Beer and Gun Club T-shirt you gave me during the SE shoot, but it was stashed away too well to find it. It turned up at the bottom of a dresser drawer- - - -the day after everybody left! I'll post a pic tomorrow!
    Jerry
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Well, a Houston shoot & lunch afterward is just a thought, hoping to somehow rub off a bit of the fun of the SE shoot and share in it that way.

Let's toss the idea around and see what dates can be tentatively considered. If not, oh, well...
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,787 Senior Member
    Depends on the timing, but If I'm free, I'd be in for a cruise over to Houston.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,907 Senior Member
    I won't be making my way back to Texas for awhile, late October at least, but I plan on passing through Houston when I do...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski