Letter a friend in Texas got from his Congressman

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Good idy? Long as safes aren't made mandatory, I reckon.

Killeen, TX
Dear "Mr. American"

As your Congressman, I would like to update you on a piece of legislation I recently introduced. The Secure Firearms Act of 2013 (H.R. 1883) will help keep more firearms away from unauthorized users and prevent many cases of gun violence with no threat to the 2nd Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens.

The most common factor in the mass shootings over the past years is that people who should not have had access to firearms managed to acquire them anyway. We don’t attempt to address all the reasons for that in this bill, but specifically target better security of firearms by law-abiding citizens through incentives, not mandates.

Congressman Henry Cuellar (D-TX28) has joined me in introducing this bipartisan piece of legislation. He and I both agree that while nationally there has been much discussion over how to prevent mass shootings, there is no debate over the need to promote responsible firearm ownership. As a concealed handgun license holder and strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights, this is a common sense first step towards increasing access for Americans to purchase devices that will prevent the misuse of firearms. While this legislation is not meant to be a ‘fix-all’, this is a bipartisan idea that Congress should immediately act on.

Mass shootings at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, Tucson, Aurora, and Newtown all involved people who should not have had access to firearms. The most recent Newtown tragedy revealed the shooter’s mother passed the federal background check, legally acquired weapons, and bought a safe, but apparently left the safe unlocked and the weapons exposed to her mentally unstable son.

As responsible gun owners, let’s make sure our weapons are more secure in the future. We can use this legislation to kick off a nationwide push to put gun safes or security devices in every home with unattended firearms by the close of 2014, and then let’s push for everyone to use them. That’s a specific goal that will reduce gun violence by a date certain, and a goal that Congress, the President, and the firearms community can unite behind.

The Secure Firearms Act includes:

1. Up to a $1,200 tax deduction to purchase a gun safe and/or security devices through December 31, 2014.

2. A prohibition on the IRS use of tax deduction claims to produce any form of gun owner registration.

The White House officially called for improving safe gun storage on January 16, as part of President Obama’s initiative to reduce gun violence, writing “The President believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms . … .But this right comes with a responsibility to safely store guns to prevent them from accidentally or intentionally being used to harm others. To that end, the President will launch a national responsible gun ownership campaign.”

In addition to the President’s call for safe gun storage, the Secure Firearms Act is endorsed by the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of American, and the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

The issue of firearms is emotionally-charged, over which it is sometimes difficult to find common ground for many Americans. But this is one bill that will reduce illegal firearms use, is constitutionally-sound, paid for with appropriate corresponding budget cuts, and should be supported by all sides on this debate. I encourage the President to immediately endorse this legislation, and for our House and Senate leaders to rapidly move this bill to his desk. If we succeed, we will show the American people we can work together on tough issues to do what is right for the country.

As a district judge for over 20 years, I remain dedicated to protecting the basic rights our forefathers established. I cherish those freedoms and the right to protect myself and my family. As your representative in Congress, and a member of the Second Amendment Caucus, I respect the right of gun ownership, and I will remain steadfast in protecting all Americans’ Second Amendment right to bear arms. If I may ever be of service to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
<http://carter.house.gov/uploads/cartersig.JPG>;
John Carter
Member of Congress

JC/tg
For more information on what I am doing in Congress, please visit my website at http://www.house.gov/carter. If you would like a weekly update, you may also sign up to receive my newsletter while you're there.

Contact Information
Washington, D.C.: 409 C.H.O.B. | Washington, D.C. 20515 | 202-225-3864
Williamson County: 1717 North IH 35 Suite 303 | Round Rock, TX 78664 | 512-246-1600
Bell County: 6544B S. General Bruce Drive | Temple, TX 76502 | 254-933-1392
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,148 Senior Member
    I like the idea of getting a tax deduction on a good quality safe.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    So, I get to 'trust' the IRS to not misuse the information I would have to provide to get the tax credit?! Really?

Additionally, Why should I or anyone else be compelled to finance YOUR purchase of a gun safe through tax incentives?

A few years from now we can expect that the gun safe to become mandatory after the next mass shooting, followed by another round of "Turn 'em in"...no thanks
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,425 Senior Member
    Ask our buddy Orchidman about the slippery slope mandatory "safe" storage rules create. He spent a good part of this past evening telling us about the "common sense" hoops our Kiwi friends have jump through to own guns. It's astounding how free people can be manipulated by supposedly well-meaning government lackeys "just doing our jobs"! The camel's nose is sticking under the tent- - - - -anybody got a baseball bat handy to tell it that's not a good idea?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. Who will replace this guy and others in the future and what will their intentions be.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    So, I get to 'trust' the IRS to not misuse the information I would have to provide to get the tax credit?! Really?
    No sale.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,653 Senior Member
    I'm ready for Congress to declare a moratorium on making new laws, until after they clean up the corruption in every single federal bureaucracy. That would only happen if they put every 'bureau' on the hot seat and make them publicly justify their existence...based on past results. I think, in a perfect world, about 90% of them would cease to exist, at which point business would boom, the economy would correct itself, and the American citizens who have always behaved responsibly could start solving some of the social problems that government has been creating for decades.
    I like the idea of getting a tax deduction on a good quality safe.

See, that's the thing; Are you really willing to sell your liberty for a tax credit? I know this is rapidly approaching black helicopter/tinfoil hat status and I'm sounding pretty paranoid....but am I being paranoid enough? The way these things work is that somebody comes up with a 'good idea' that sounds reasonable enough then toss in a little of your hard-earned in the form of a 'tax credit' just to sweeten the pot.

Nothing like using your money to pay you for giving up some (eventually all) of your liberties.
    George Carlin
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Ask our buddy Orchidman about the slippery slope mandatory "safe" storage rules create. He spent a good part of this past evening telling us about the "common sense" hoops our Kiwi friends have jump through to own guns. It's astounding how free people can be manipulated by supposedly well-meaning government lackeys "just doing our jobs"! The camel's nose is sticking under the tent- - - - -anybody got a baseball bat handy to tell it that's not a good idea?
    Jerry
    UK. Gun safes. then mandatory membership to a shooting club, where your firearms need to be stored in their vault, then confiscation and distruction of your firearms.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    I am reminded of a line from Charlie Daniels, "I ain't askin' nobody for nothin' if I can't get it on my own!"
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    Why is it a bad idea? First let's distinguish between tax deduction and tax credit. A deduction reduces your taxable income. OK, then where it goes makes a difference. If it is an Itemized deduction, then you're only getting it if you itemize. So if you rent or own a home with no mortgage, you probably don't itemize and then can't get the deduction. And even if you do, you get back what you paid times your marginal tax rate. So you may be getting only 25 cents on each dollar spent...or less. I sure won't register my guns for that chicken feed.

If it's a tax credit, that means you take each dollar you spent off the taxes you owe. That's a better deal.

The problem with both systems is that 47% of Americans don't pay taxes anyway, so what's in it for them? And this administration does nothing if it doesn't benefit the "poor".

Why is a gun registry a necessary part of the tax deduction or credit? Because instantly every safe made and sold in the U.S. will be designated a "gun safe". Just like the super deluxe golf carts that qualified for big tax credits as electric cars. So rather than reduce tax revenues by another couple billion dollars, the boys will say you have to provide proof that you own guns that require a safe of the kind you're trying to take a deduction for or get a tax credit for. That means your tax return then becomes the gun registry. We've seen the lack of honor at the IRS with targeting conservative and veterans organizations, not to mention stealing millions of personal medical records.

No sir. This dog won't hunt. Here's the gun safe law: Your deranged kid shoots someone with guns you should have had locked up, and YOU go to prison plus have personal financial liability. The only tax break you get is no taxes when you lose your income from being in prison.

Sent using Tapatalk...so please excuse the typos!
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Not no but hell no!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I'm ready to take a chain saw to that camel's nose under the tent, and saw lengthwise to the other end. No, Nope, freakin' government can stay out of my bidness or there's going to be trouble.

I don't trust the IRS to guard a manure spreader full of soft cow pie, much less my personal information. They're part of the U.S. Treasury department, just like the BATFE. The ATF is bound by law not to make a gun purchase registry, but they are computerizing the records of out-of-business FFLs into a database. So much for that 'little loophole' they found in that law. The government runs on the loose principle of "anything not specifically prohibited is therefore allowed". The government has degenerated into a collective of scat eating dogs with no moral or ethical restraints.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,425 Senior Member
    Mike, when my friend down the road closed down his gun shop, he sort of let a car battery leak all over his 4473's before he sent them to the BATFE. Ever see what Sulfuric Acid does to paper?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,733 Senior Member
    bowserb wrote: »
    Here's the gun safe law: Your deranged kid shoots someone with guns you should have had locked up, and YOU go to prison plus have personal financial liability.

Why single out criminal gun use? What if the deranged kid used your kitchen knife? If you want to go down that road, then go all the way. Parents get fined/jailed for their kids' shoplifting, underage drinking, speeding, pot smoking, skipping class, pregnancies, fist fights, and the list goes on and on.

Sorry, I cannot support with any law that punishes someone other than the perpetrator.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Why single out criminal gun use? What if the deranged kid used your kitchen knife? If you want to go down that road, then go all the way. Parents get fined/jailed for their kids' shoplifting, underage drinking, speeding, pot smoking, skipping class, pregnancies, fist fights, and the list goes on and on.

Sorry, I cannot support with any law that punishes someone other than the perpetrator.

They're not perpetrators, they're just misunderstood. The parents or other folks who had a gun (or kitchen knife, pipewrench, fire poker, etc., etc.) stolen/taken from them....those folks are the criminals!
    George Carlin