Recoil

13»

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Some guns are simply less comfortable to shoot than others, and the thrust numbers for recoil have little to do with it. If you don't believe that, try screwing a 4-bladed broadhead arrowhead into the stock of the rifle and make it the only point of contact with your shoulder when you shoot. A narrow buttplate made of steel or hard plastic instead of a relatively shock-absorbing piece soft rubber will definitely alter a shooter's perception of what's happening when he squeezes a round off. The angle of the stock in relation to the bore makes a noticeable difference, at least in the shooter's reaction to the recoil, also. Add a sharp, very loud muzzle blast, and things can go downhill in a hurry.

Jerry

Well said, and fortunately most modern rifles of today don't use a steal or narrow but plate, if they did and that is all they made and if every manufactures stock was like the Ruger boat paddle, I think less magnums would be fired today.
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    If it has Mag behind it put a brake on it for the range, verify zero with the brake off and then go hunt, also the past pad works but changes how the rifle will handle when not wearing one, also I put recoil reducers in all my stocks, makes a huge difference.
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    also someone here taught me when the forumns were on rifle shooter to not hunker down at the bench, sti up in a normal sitting positon, back straight, build up your rest and shoot, man does it change handling recoil, I was nos so sure til I tried it, made a big difference.
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 257 Member
    I was looking at a Kimber in 7 mag today at my lgs. This gun weighs 7.5 lbs without the scope. I am thinking she might hurt to shoot her. What do you guys think? I have a Kimber 84m Classic in 308 that weighs 5lbs, 10oz that is a dream to shoot. I had this crazy idea of owning a Kimber in .243, .308, and 7 mag. I could shoot anything with that line up. I might even trade my Browning X-Bolt in on a Kimber .243. Just an idea.
    I liked my Kimber 8400 Montana in 30-06, I would love a 7mm mag 8400 in wood. Of course if you don't like recoil there are other great cartridge choices in a Kimber.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,269 Senior Member
    I have owned both in multiple rifles and I have and know from experience that I could shoot many more 130 grain bullets out of a 270win than 200 grain bullets out of a 30-06. Did you read this whole thread???

Cartridge: .270 Win Firearm: Winchester Featherweight

Load and Firearm Info:
    Bullet Dia (in): 0.277
    Case Length (in): 2.540
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 66.7
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3100
    Bullet Wt (gr): 130
    Charge Weight (gr): 58
    Barrel Length (in): 22
    Firearm Weight (lb): 7.50
    Free recoil energy is 18.8 ft-lb. (25.5 Joule)

Cartridge: .30-06 Firearm: Winchester Featherweight
    Load and Firearm Info:
    Bullet Dia (in): 0.308 Case Length (in): 2.494
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 66.1 Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2688
    Bullet Wt (gr): 200 Charge Weight (gr): 58
    Barrel Length (in): 22 Firearm Weight (lb): 7.50
    Free recoil energy is 26.8 ft-lb. (36.3 Joule)

beartracker, we are friends and cool heads prevail. It shocked me when you said what you did, but after a few days my head is cooler. I have thought about what I said and though I still stick by it with my original intent, I can see where such a statement would make someone come unhinged. But think about this. Think about it as poor suspension verses a well suspended automobile. The ride on the poorly suspended car is rough and even though a particular automobile has better tires and more weight, if it is poorly suspended, it will beat your teeth out. Well think of my rifle as being poorly suspended. And it has a lot of recoil velocity due to its lower weight. This high velocity coming back on my shoulder with a relatively hard recoil pad can equal a painful experience. And it does. My 30-06 Remington has a big fat mushy pad and even though it pushes back hard, it is not brutal, even on the bench. however, after many rounds, it too can become uncomfortable to shoot. But the .270 gets there really quick due to its snappy recoil and hard butt.

Another point I failed to mention is that my pet load is not exactly wimpish. It's a full load that at one time crossed over the high pressure line until I backed it off a few tenths of a grain of powder. If it's not for the long eye relief on its scope I would have a Weatherby Eyebrow. To say the least, its recoil is SNAPPY!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    WORLD T wrote: »
    I was looking at a Kimber in 7 mag today at my lgs. This gun weighs 7.5 lbs without the scope. I am thinking she might hurt to shoot her. What do you guys think? I have a Kimber 84m Classic in 308 that weighs 5lbs, 10oz that is a dream to shoot. I had this crazy idea of owning a Kimber in .243, .308, and 7 mag. I could shoot anything with that line up. I might even trade my Browning X-Bolt in on a Kimber .243. Just an idea.

...my A-Bolt Stainless Stalker w/ a 2.5X8 VX-III is 8lbs. & recoil's not a problem, my Tikka T3 Lite w/ a 4.5X14 VX-3 is a hair under 7lbs., still no problem, an 8lb. Kimber shouldn't be "unmanageable"...

...you could trade-in your .308 for a Montana in .257 Roberts, unless of course, you need "a little girl's rifle" for something...:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    beartracker, we are friends and cool heads prevail. It shocked me when you said what you did, but after a few days my head is cooler. I have thought about what I said and though I still stick by it with my original intent, I can see where such a statement would make someone come unhinged. But think about this. Think about it as poor suspension verses a well suspended automobile. The ride on the poorly suspended car is rough and even though a particular automobile has better tires and more weight, if it is poorly suspended, it will beat your teeth out. Well think of my rifle as being poorly suspended. And it has a lot of recoil velocity due to its lower weight. This high velocity coming back on my shoulder with a relatively hard recoil pad can equal a painful experience. And it does. My 30-06 Remington has a big fat mushy pad and even though it pushes back hard, it is not brutal, even on the bench. however, after many rounds, it too can become uncomfortable to shoot. But the .270 gets there really quick due to its snappy recoil and hard butt.

Another point I failed to mention is that my pet load is not exactly wimpish. It's a full load that at one time crossed over the high pressure line until I backed it off a few tenths of a grain of powder. If it's not for the long eye relief on its scope I would have a Weatherby Eyebrow. To say the least, its recoil is SNAPPY!

I hear yeah, and if it is miserable to shoot for you, then it is miserable and I can understand that. :beer:
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    Hey snake, what is that .270 load/rifle combo you're using?

I thought, maybe, we could figure some stuff out, just for fun.
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,269 Senior Member
    Sure Spk, it's a 130 Grain Sierra Game King with 56.7 grains of IMR 4831 and right now, I use Winchester LR Primers. It goes through my Chrony at approx 3050 FPS. That's through a 22 inch tube. With a longer barrel it will no doubt be up over 3,100 FPS. When I found this problem, I backed it off .5 grains to 56.5 and then slowly worked it back up to 56.7 grains and called it good. That was with the ogive of the bullet about .020 off the lands. I now have them about .040 off the the lands. It didn't affect accuracy that much and it seems to have lessened the pressure.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    What's your -06 load like and what do the rifles weigh, do they have recoil pads? I'm looking at other factors beside Free Recoil Energies so I need the info, thx. Remember, this is just academic...just for fun.
    :conehead:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
13»