and rotate the cylinder fully to ensure all rnds are fully seated and
there are no high primers that would rub on the recoil shield and
stop the cylinder from turning.

Seems so simple and easy to do, however, I've never seen anyone
do it.

I started doing a similar check with SA revolvers after I bought that lead 9mm
that does not chamber well, but, of course that is done before closing
the loading gate.

These checks should be done esp in a carry revolver.
Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Yep...old trick....Learned it first time I read "No second place winner"......Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Thanks for the heads up Ned, Will check the Wife's model 19 ASAP. Don't remember this from "No second place winner", but there's a copy around here somewhere.

Btw, I did see your carry option with your 29, that is a very versatile position for a fit individual. That would allow you to carry the same way, walking, driving, whatever.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    So I can't just slap the cylinder closed, half-cock and spin the cylinder fast like in the movies?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    So I can't just slap the cylinder closed, half-cock and spin the cylinder fast like in the movies?

I don't know maybe you could with some revolvers after all you live out west of yonder.

I was trying it with Rugers SP 101 & 100;
    half cock was too far, it seemed more like 1/8 cock.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sounds like the bolt stop "Button" on the bottom is depressed enough to allow you to rotate the cylinder by slightly pulling back on the hammer and the pawl coming out of the recoil shield is not fully engaged on the cylinder ratchets/notches on the rear of it.

I do essentially the same thing by loading 5 of 6 or less and leave one or more empty chambers and start cocking and letting the hammer down with my thumb gently on empty chambers as I make sure the loaded charge holes rotate freely. Of course, you gotta know a S&W rotates counterclockwise and a Colt revolver cylinder rotates clockwise and keep it pointed in a safe direction. :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    I just sent my 686 back to Smith for the L frame mod due to the possibility of 357 primers backing out against the recoil shield and locking up the cylinder. Re-designates it to 686-M. I likes my S&W's.
    BTW I see no need for the so-called hot loads that caused the issue to surface in the first place.Just want
    to be sure it goes BANG if necessary.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Seems so simple and easy to do, however, I've never seen anyone
    do it.

Probably because 99% of factory ammo will have primers set at the proper depth, and reloaders should be doing their own QA for the same.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    I just sent my 686 back to Smith for the L frame mod due to the possibility of 357 primers backing out against the recoil shield and locking up the cylinder. Re-designates it to 686-M.

Never heard of such a thing. I would think that's not possible. What is the modification?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    It was only for the 686, 686-2, or 686-3. They replaced the hammer nose, firing pin bushing, and some other parts.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    T Don't remember this from "No second place winner", but there's a copy around here somewhere.

Um...might be my memory....that might have been from "Come now Charlie".....Jordan's response to Askins...."Sixguns are clunks".....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Probably because 99% of factory ammo will have primers set at the proper depth, and reloaders should be doing their own QA for the same.

Been thinking about your comment and for the most part your right.

I see, on various forums, someone periodically having an issue with the cylinder
    of a .357 being sluggish or actually jammed up. The response is invariably, clean the
    revolver because there is a crud ring from shooting .38 spl.

I think this test would help those people find this issue before it ruins their day.

Also, it might enlighten them on what the recoil shield does and why it is ramped
    on one side where the issue happens if it does happen, be it a high primer or a
    rnd that won't slide back in place after a shot due to a crud ring.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I never had the mod done on my 686. It did lock up one time on me firing Blazer 158 JHPs back in the 80s. They were HOT! Don't remember if it was just that lot ammo or what. No issues since then with some pretty righteous hand-loads and any and all factory loads.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!