Home Main Category Clubhouse

Commonplace Book--anyone keep one?

Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker BannedPosts: 1,503 Senior Member
About 5 years ago after reading a book on Thomas Jefferson (my favorite president) I was inspired to begin a "Commonplace Book". Not really a journal; although it could be combined into one I suppose, a commonplace Book is ideal for writing down favorite aphorisms, quotes, recipies, drawings, poems, lyrics, science excerpts, excerpts from favorite speechess etc. Being the bookworm I am, I often come across a sentence or paragraph that really hits home. I even use it to write down quotes from the political opposition and even past tyrants/dictators to later reference in debate....really comes handy for that.
Over the years I have filled two volumes and am working on my third. For me it is very relaxing and gives me solace to know that after I'm dead and gone my family will have a heirloom that can be passed from generation to generation and will give an insight to what made me tick as a person.

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Make sure someone with responsibility knows where it is and your wishes.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Yeah. I've got several computer files into which I stuff funny quotes and brief jokes and such, plus random savings from the net, like song lyrics, poems, longer quotes, whatever. They're all in a "misc junk" folder of course.

All my previous printed writing -- short stories, articles, book/movie reviews, newspaper stuff I wrote has been either scanned or transcribed into computer files (Word or PDF) and saved, archived. For future generations to marvel in, of course...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I keep thoughts, quotes, dreams, etc saved on a doubly backed up computer server.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,890 Senior Member
    My stuff usually gets written in the margin of a notebook or on a sticky note.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I throw away everything I write, so as not to start taking myself too seriously.

If I live, I may write some stuff down so my grandchildren can read it when they are my age and might actually care about what life was like, way back when....but it will be the 'abridged' edition that portrays Grandpa as a wise, benevolent man, whose only flaw was eating crackers in bed. :tooth:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    I'd probably forget where I put the book between sessions.

Hey, Clean where is my journal?
    She'd probably get me the newspaper.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Aside from generalized common thoughts and quotes, I've also got lots of notes related to my mystery novels, fragments of chapters, dialogue, plot ideas, and so on, all saved under my "new mystery" folders.