Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Leave Us Alone!

KurtKurt New MemberPosts: 21 New Member
Once again, I find myself in a state of confusion trying to understand positions of the American Left.

On the one hand, American firearms owners are treated with suspicion and dread over crimes that have not even been contemplated. Statistics show that Americans who legally own firearms are overwhelmingly law abiding as the percentage of those arms used in the commission of a crime is infinitesimally small.

On the other hand, the American Left willingly accepts the premise that someone who has actually been convicted of a heinous crime is eminently redeemable with a little therapy, a support group and perhaps some medication while facts prove beyond reasonable doubt violent convicted criminals have a high percentage of recidivism.

According to statistics from the Bureau of Justice:

“Among nearly 300,000 prisoners released 67.5% were rearrested within 3 years.

“These offenders had accumulated 4.1 million arrest charges before their most recent imprisonment and another 744,000 charges within 3 years of release.”
“Released prisoners with the highest re-arrest rates were robbers (70.2%...these folks by definition use illegal weapons)… those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).”
My questions are:
How are these recidivists acquiring “illegal weapons”? (30 to 35% of those currently incarcerated by the Washington State Dept of Corrections are recidivists)
Why can we not focus on those who we know have no respect for the law and leave the law abiding alone?
“The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user.”
Col. Jeff Cooper

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The recidivism rate for criminals killed by their victims in the act of committing a felony is, and always will be- - - - -0%! Sounds like a foolproof method of reducing the crime rate to me!
    Jerry
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Kurt wrote: »
    Once again, I find myself in a state of confusion trying to understand positions of the American Left.

On the one hand, American firearms owners are treated with suspicion and dread over crimes that have not even been contemplated. Statistics show that Americans who legally own firearms are overwhelmingly law abiding as the percentage of those arms used in the commission of a crime is infinitesimally small.

On the other hand, the American Left willingly accepts the premise that someone who has actually been convicted of a heinous crime is eminently redeemable with a little therapy, a support group and perhaps some medication while facts prove beyond reasonable doubt violent convicted criminals have a high percentage of recidivism.

According to statistics from the Bureau of Justice:

“Among nearly 300,000 prisoners released 67.5% were rearrested within 3 years.

“These offenders had accumulated 4.1 million arrest charges before their most recent imprisonment and another 744,000 charges within 3 years of release.”
    “Released prisoners with the highest re-arrest rates were robbers (70.2%...these folks by definition use illegal weapons)… those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).”
    My questions are:
    How are these recidivists acquiring “illegal weapons”? (30 to 35% of those currently incarcerated by the Washington State Dept of Corrections are recidivists)
    Why can we not focus on those who we know have no respect for the law and leave the law abiding alone?

What do crime stats have to do with the Left's interest in gun control? Nothing of course, because it isn't about public safety, it's about the one and only thing that energizes liberals -POWER. Gun control is about the Left's unending quest for POWER, so don't waste your time sidetracked with irrelevant distractions like statistics. They already know that gun control has nothing to do with reducing crime rates, and they don't care, because that's not their agenda.