Home Main Category Clubhouse

Moving to San Antonio in September... any forum members live there?

Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker BannedPosts: 1,503 Senior Member
Having had enough of this sheet hole for obvious reasons, I will be transfering from the railroad to Texas this fall. I have been wanting to do this move for years, however, a very sick (and now departed) relative kept me here in this Marxist State.
Are there any forum members who live in San Antonio? Don't know a soul out that way other than a few co-workers who also transfered there. Will need to start looking for a place to rent come late Sept. Wouldn't even mind securing a place early just to take the moving pressures off and could even pay three months advance on reasonable rent. As most of you know I work for a Class 1 railroad and am gone for up to 2-3 days at a time when working on my run. The sooner I get out of this godforsaken state the better. Gonna start researching the area and if anyone has any suggestions, tips or know of a place to rent it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to stay as close to San Antonio as possible as that is where my home railroad terminal is. Studio apt, room, condo etc.. (I'm not picky) for a single guy would be fine as this will be long term deal. btw... if for some reason my move date is pushed back would Oct-Nov be too cold to move? Thanks.

MAN DO I WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE SO BAD!!

Also as a side note how is the fishing and hunting in that area?

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Having had enough of this sheet hole for obvious reasons, I will be transfering from the railroad to Texas this fall. I have been wanting to do this move for years, however, a very sick (and now departed) relative kept me here in this Marxist State.
    Are there any forum members who live in San Antonio? Don't know a soul out that way other than a few co-workers who also transfered there. Will need to start looking for a place to rent come late Sept. Wouldn't even mind securing a place early just to take the moving pressures off and could even pay three months advance on reasonable rent. As most of you know I work for a Class 1 railroad and am gone for up to 2-3 days at a time when working on my run. The sooner I get out of this godforsaken state the better. Gonna start researching the area and if anyone has any suggestions, tips or know of a place to rent it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to stay as close to San Antonio as possible as that is where my home railroad terminal is. Studio apt, room, condo etc.. (I'm not picky) for a single guy would be fine as this will be long term deal. btw... if for some reason my move date is pushed back would Oct-Nov be too cold to move? Thanks.

MAN DO I WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE SO BAD!!

Also as a side note how is the fishing and hunting in that area?

I don't know about San Antonio Proper, but there are a few of us within spitting distance. Oh yeah, in Texas Spitting distance may be just a little further away than in some states, LOL!!! But I'm about 2.5 hours SSE on the coast here below Victoria about 25 miles. There's others closer to you there, but like I say, this is Texas and our distance judgment is a little off. Most of us don't think anything of driving 100-200 Miles to see friends and then turn right around and go home the same day.

In other words, you're among friends. Just holler and we'll come a runnin'!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    .........btw... if for some reason my move date is pushed back would Oct-Nov be too cold to move? Thanks.
    I was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio for 3.5 months in 1970. Can't help you with contacts, but I don't think you will have to worry about it being cold in Oct-Nov. San Antonio is a sub tropical area like south florida. During the months I was there between late June and September, it was very hot in the afternoons, 94-98 degrees every day. They have palm trees there, which should indicate the winters are mild, because most palms don't do well in the areas that get frost.

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Texas/San%20Antonio/
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    btw... if for some reason my move date is pushed back would Oct-Nov be too cold to move? Thanks.

Texans can't spell cold.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I think you'll like San Antonio. I've been there quite a few times and I've always liked the city. It's midsize and therefore doesn't have awful pollution or traffic like larger cities, but it's got plenty of urban amenities.

Folks there are, well, Texans. So you're gonna be okay because Texans are pretty fine people (present company excluded). SA has a large Hispanic base and this may at times be a bit irritating but generally it's a nice place, friendly, low taxes (if you will miss paying state income tax, you can always send the extra money you save to all the other Tx forum members, heh heh).

Incidentally, as a single guy, you'll find tons of decent mid-town area apartment complexes of various cost. SA is a very socially active city and you'll likely find suitable female companionship quickly. One benefit of SA is that it's not too large, so you can also live a ways out of town and enjoy the deep suburbs but still be close enough to the city for attending sports and music events as they may please you. The city also offers numerous terrific restaurants of all sorts, not just TexMex or gourmet Mex but those are of course everywhere. And some of the best steakhouses on earth.

Now, in San Antonio there are quite a few popular "tourist attractions" but let me assure you that some of these are genuinely fun to see despite being over-advertised to some degree. Three I'd recommend...

1- The Alamo of course. There is a considerable display of historic artifacts and exhibits inside the Alamo itself and in the nearby museums. Go on a weekday because it's less busy. Besides being the heart of Texas history, the exhibits are truly well set up and inexpensive. A half-day is about right for this visit.

2- Menger Hotel. One of the more famous hotels in the USA and probably the most famous in the Southwest. The bar (a terrific bar to visit!) is where Teddy Roosevelt organized the Rough Riders. There is also a fine Texas-style restaurant in the hotel. And although an older structure it's been rehabbed and is a recommended "romantic" stay for a couple, as there are lots of fun things to do nearby.

3- Riverwalk. This is a sort of canal that runs for 10-12 blocks through the center of downtown San Antonio. There are motorized barges for touring and plenty of shady walkways for enjoying Riverwalk on foot. The Riverwalk is sunk 1 level beneath the ground level and so you're in a sort of natural "canyon" but there's nothing rustic. Instead the whole extent is packed with bars, restaurants, hotels, shops, and various fun sites. Yes, it's a bit commercialized but there are also plenty of excellent clubs, taverns, bars, restaurants, and so on that dot the whole Riverwalk area. Get yourself a map or download one.

The "actual" downtown of San Antonio is typical for any city -- highrise offices and not much more. But just on the fringe of the city center, you'll find Riverwalk, the Menger, and the Alamo all within a couple blocks of each other. This grouping is also filled on all sides with other hotels and clubs and restaurants of just about any type, price, and clientele.

As a single guy, I'd suggest that you first drive around in the Riverwalk/Alamo area -- for about 8-10 blocks square or more, you've got loads of stuff to do. Ask other single or young marrieds about places to go along Riverwalk or nearby that aren't too touristy. Then head down there some Saturday afternoon and spend time "browsing" to find places where you seem to fit. For example, CW taverns or British-style pubs or maybe more "glam" and trendy night spots.

The nice thing about San Antonio nightlife is that much of the activity is concentrated along Riverwalk or nearby, and you can find nearly any "flavor" of urban action, from a big wood-floor CW tavern with live music and dancing, to small intimate jazz clubs, and whatever in between.

Sure, you may find "touristy" and franchise-fake clubs and restaurants but maybe 40 feet down Riverwalk will be a comfy friendly place that caters to non-tourists. Just ask your new colleagues for some advice.

I cannot tell you anything specific about outdoor activity such as hunting or fishing but the SA area will have pretty much anything you want. There are numerous recreational lakes and streams for fishing, and either forest or plains for hunting, from deer to fowl.

San Antonio climate is pretty great, rarely gets very cold or hot, but "real" seasons, very rare snow, a pleasant moderate climate quite similar to central-south California in many ways. Winters can be chilly but not very.

We've got a wide mix of members in this forum, some live way out in the sticks and some live in cities, with plenty in between, as you know. I think I can say with some authority that of the Texas cities, San Antonio and maybe Ft. Worth are the two that have decent size to provide all the urban plusses but aren't so big as to also have too many negatives.

Insofar as my own domicile is concerned, Houston is due east of San Antonio, an easy 3-hour drive on I-10.

And welcome to Texas!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,384 Senior Member
    I don't know about fishing, but hunting in TX is almost always a game ranch affair. Very little public hunting lands in TX, as I've learned from those who live there.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,890 Senior Member
    You are moving to one of my favorite cities. Sam's write up is excellent so I won't expand upon it.

Hunting is largely a game ranch or hunting lease affair. Not much public land in TX.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    I'm about 90 miles north of San Antonio. Look at places like New Braunfels that are outside of San Antonio proper but a reasonable commute into the city. New Braunfels for example would also make it easy for you to go up here to the Austin area when the mood struck you, so you'd have sort of the best of both worlds when it came to opportunities for activities.

It will be cold by Texas standards in Oct-Nov... might get down into the 40s and 50s overnight! You will see people around here break out the winter parkas when it gets much below 60. Seriously, we can get some kind of cold weather down here (20s and 30s very rarely colder than that) but mostly only in Jan-Feb.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    can't help you on living in the area and all that, but I do know what it feels like to be the johnny on the spot with the ailing loved one, I'm trapped in that now. From my front door to a sign that says, "Welcome to Dallas", it's probably 6 hours driving without a woman in the car.
    In any event, what these guys are saying about public land shortages in TX is my understanding as well. But last year I killed a 9 point in my little slice I carved out of millions of acres of public land here in AR. And further more there are a ton of Texans that keep their boats on AR lakes.
    Anyway, if I can help you let me know and welcome to flyover country and what's left of what the USA was supposed to be. And don't let the Kalifornia doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,682 Senior Member
    Spent all day in San Antonio today. Grew up about an hour north west of there, and currently live an hour north on I-35 in Austin.

It was an honest to god One Hundred and Six degrees in SA today. It was insanely hot.

San Antonio is a fun city. Lots of really cool history, fun stuff to do, and it is a huge place. The Riverwalk is cool, and if you stay away from the new stuff (Dicks last resort, etc...), you can find some really cool gems.

Plus, you are about an hour from some of the best places in the world. The Texas Hill Country is where God wants to retire. Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Boerne, Bandera, Medina.... These places are all hidden gems, and a short drive from SA.

You will enjoy it, as long as you are not in the wrong part of town. SA is the first place I had to draw a gun on someone.

Enjoy! I'll meet you for a beer or to go shooting sometime.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    etc San Antonio is a fun city. Lots of really cool history, fun stuff to do, and it is a huge place. The Riverwalk is cool, and if you stay away from the new stuff (Dicks last resort, etc...), you can find some really cool gems.

Plus, you are about an hour from some of the best places in the world. The Texas Hill Country is where God wants to retire. Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Boerne, Bandera, Medina.... These places are all hidden gems, and a short drive from SA.

etc

True... as I said, Riverwalk has plenty of keen places to hang out but you need to avoid the touristy places that can often be 20 feet away.

And yes, Texas Hill Country is gorgeous!
    I'm not in SA, but close enough to crash a party on short notice.
    You want to confentrate your search on the North, North West, and West side of town. Do NOT go the other directions.

look outside of Loop 410. Loop 1604 is a good happy medium of outside but near town.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I don't know about fishing, but hunting in TX is almost always a game ranch affair. Very little public hunting lands in TX, as I've learned from those who live there.

Gene,

"Game ranches" are where lawyers and other rich city slickers go to shoot genetically enhanced 'trophy deer' that they select from a menu. Some people pay more for their trophy deer than I would pay for a new pickup truck.

On the other hand, a hunting lease is a small piece of land where working folks pay a little more than they can afford to try to bait the does into a kill zone, and hope they attract legal bucks around the edges of that kill zone. It still isn't classic style 'stalk hunting,' but it isn't a slam dunk, either...and it is still fun. If Texas didn't allow deer to be taken this way, they would be thicker than jack rabbits in some places.

If he wants to stalk something, he'll have to settle for squirrels and rabbits, and maybe feral hogs in some places. Stalking deer in this part of Texas is an almost impossible proposition for anybody with less skill than a ninja, and the trail will nearly always lead you to a fence that you can't cross. Besides that, we have our fair share of knucklehead city slickers out there, making it an easy way to get shot.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Congrats on the escape! I remember posting a similar announcement six years ago.

You must be the 6th member to leave California in the last few years. Before too long, there won't be anybody left to explain the newest crazy CA gun law to the rest of us!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I am just north of San Antonio in New Braunfels, as suggested above it is a nice place to live and a short commute to SA. We have lots of great restaurants, the river is awesome during the summer, canyon lake is very close and you are only an hour from Austin if you choose to hit 6th street for some fun. There are lots of apartments available here with some very nice new apartments fixing to open right on the river on the loop.

Look me up when you get to Texas, we can grab some real BBQ, a cold beer and tell some gun lies! Oh yeah, you can own all the evil black rifles you want here too!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Spent all day in San Antonio today. Grew up about an hour north west of there, and currently live an hour north on I-35 in Austin.

It was an honest to god One Hundred and Six degrees in SA today. It was insanely hot.

San Antonio is a fun city. Lots of really cool history, fun stuff to do, and it is a huge place. The Riverwalk is cool, and if you stay away from the new stuff (Dicks last resort, etc...), you can find some really cool gems.

You will enjoy it, as long as you are not in the wrong part of town. SA is the first place I had to draw a gun on someone.

Enjoy! I'll meet you for a beer or to go shooting sometime.

Thanks for the reply bullsi! A day out shooting sounds like a plan. Man that would make my day!! Maybe we can get the other area forum members to join in. We'll definitely grab a cold one afterwards.

This move is literately making me feel like Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape"-- I've spent far too much time in the "cooler". It will be quite a sight seeing Kalifornia fade away in the rear view mirror. I'll be sure to wave good-bye with a single digit.

Thanks again!
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Congrats on the escape! I remember posting a similar announcement six years ago.

You must be the 6th member to leave California in the last few years. Before too long, there won't be anybody left to explain the newest crazy CA gun law to the rest of us!

Thanks! Just wish I could load the pickup right now and be on my way. Heck, I've even started packing things even though it's 3 months away. Who knows-- maybe I'll just take an afternoon drive here pretty soon and just keep driving east.

btw... I bet it was a great feeling for you when you left. No joke in that I feel like a prisoner who's just been granted freedom. Man oh man how I will absolutely cherrish being in a free state once again! Take care brother.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Thanks! Just wish I could load the pickup right now and be on my way. Heck, I've even started packing things even though it's 3 months away. Who knows-- maybe I'll just take an afternoon drive here pretty soon and just keep driving east.

btw... I bet it was a great feeling for you when you left. No joke in that I feel like a prisoner who's just been granted freedom. Man oh man how I will absolutely cherrish being in a free state once again! Take care brother.

I remember that feeling well. The first thing I did once I had my Idaho drivers license was buy an AK with a drum mag.

A couple pieces of advice:
    1) Sell your 10 round magazines before you leave. Nobody in Texas will want them!
    2) Go fishing, surfing, snorkeling, etc in the Pacific this summer. The ocean is the only thing (besides friends and family) that I miss since I left.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'll be sure to wave good-bye with a single digit.

I'm pretty sure I did that in 1980, after making a hard uphill pull from Bakersfield into Mojave with a 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood towing a 3-axle trailer with everything we owned crammed into, or tied onto it! The car/trailer combo weighed 16,700 pounds when we hit the scales in Arizona and had to buy an over-wide permit because the rig had mobile home axles! 5 MPG all the way back to Tennessee! The closest I've been to the wrong coast since then was a 1-day trip to Albuquerque to drive a motorhome Mary bought on Ebay back to our farm.
    Jerry
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,786 Senior Member

One of the best feelings I have had in a long time was registering my vehicles in North Dakota and changing over to North Dakota drivers license.
    I am in California right now but it is for grandsons graduation and the 4th then back to a free state.
    Yes it is a good feeling to know that you no longer have to worry about California stooped law makers in Sacramento.
    timc wrote: »
    Look me up when you get to Texas, we can grab some real BBQ, a cold beer and tell some gun lies! Oh yeah, you can own all the evil black rifles you want here too!

I will do that for sure and thanks for the info. When I get settled in I'll give you a shout. You'll have to show me where all the gun stores are!
    It will be nice to bust some caps at the shooting range without constantly looking over my back worrying about breaking some stupid gun control law or stepping on some "endangered" insect.
    samzhere wrote: »
    I think you'll like San Antonio. I've been there quite a few times and I've always liked the city. It's midsize and therefore doesn't have awful pollution or traffic like larger cities, but it's got plenty of urban amenities.

Folks there are, well, Texans. So you're gonna be okay because Texans are pretty fine people (present company excluded). SA has a large Hispanic base and this may at times be a bit irritating but generally it's a nice place, friendly, low taxes (if you will miss paying state income tax, you can always send the extra money you save to all the other Tx forum members, heh heh).

Incidentally, as a single guy, you'll find tons of decent mid-town area apartment complexes of various cost. SA is a very socially active city and you'll likely find suitable female companionship quickly. One benefit of SA is that it's not too large, so you can also live a ways out of town and enjoy the deep suburbs but still be close enough to the city for attending sports and music events as they may please you. The city also offers numerous terrific restaurants of all sorts, not just TexMex or gourmet Mex but those are of course everywhere. And some of the best steakhouses on earth.

Now, in San Antonio there are quite a few popular "tourist attractions" but let me assure you that some of these are genuinely fun to see despite being over-advertised to some degree. Three I'd recommend...

1- The Alamo of course. There is a considerable display of historic artifacts and exhibits inside the Alamo itself and in the nearby museums. Go on a weekday because it's less busy. Besides being the heart of Texas history, the exhibits are truly well set up and inexpensive. A half-day is about right for this visit.

2- Menger Hotel. One of the more famous hotels in the USA and probably the most famous in the Southwest. The bar (a terrific bar to visit!) is where Teddy Roosevelt organized the Rough Riders. There is also a fine Texas-style restaurant in the hotel. And although an older structure it's been rehabbed and is a recommended "romantic" stay for a couple, as there are lots of fun things to do nearby.

3- Riverwalk. This is a sort of canal that runs for 10-12 blocks through the center of downtown San Antonio. There are motorized barges for touring and plenty of shady walkways for enjoying Riverwalk on foot. The Riverwalk is sunk 1 level beneath the ground level and so you're in a sort of natural "canyon" but there's nothing rustic. Instead the whole extent is packed with bars, restaurants, hotels, shops, and various fun sites. Yes, it's a bit commercialized but there are also plenty of excellent clubs, taverns, bars, restaurants, and so on that dot the whole Riverwalk area. Get yourself a map or download one.

The "actual" downtown of San Antonio is typical for any city -- highrise offices and not much more. But just on the fringe of the city center, you'll find Riverwalk, the Menger, and the Alamo all within a couple blocks of each other. This grouping is also filled on all sides with other hotels and clubs and restaurants of just about any type, price, and clientele.

As a single guy, I'd suggest that you first drive around in the Riverwalk/Alamo area -- for about 8-10 blocks square or more, you've got loads of stuff to do. Ask other single or young marrieds about places to go along Riverwalk or nearby that aren't too touristy. Then head down there some Saturday afternoon and spend time "browsing" to find places where you seem to fit. For example, CW taverns or British-style pubs or maybe more "glam" and trendy night spots.

The nice thing about San Antonio nightlife is that much of the activity is concentrated along Riverwalk or nearby, and you can find nearly any "flavor" of urban action, from a big wood-floor CW tavern with live music and dancing, to small intimate jazz clubs, and whatever in between.

Sure, you may find "touristy" and franchise-fake clubs and restaurants but maybe 40 feet down Riverwalk will be a comfy friendly place that caters to non-tourists. Just ask your new colleagues for some advice.

I cannot tell you anything specific about outdoor activity such as hunting or fishing but the SA area will have pretty much anything you want. There are numerous recreational lakes and streams for fishing, and either forest or plains for hunting, from deer to fowl.

San Antonio climate is pretty great, rarely gets very cold or hot, but "real" seasons, very rare snow, a pleasant moderate climate quite similar to central-south California in many ways. Winters can be chilly but not very.

We've got a wide mix of members in this forum, some live way out in the sticks and some live in cities, with plenty in between, as you know. I think I can say with some authority that of the Texas cities, San Antonio and maybe Ft. Worth are the two that have decent size to provide all the urban plusses but aren't so big as to also have too many negatives.

Insofar as my own domicile is concerned, Houston is due east of San Antonio, an easy 3-hour drive on I-10.

And welcome to Texas!

Sam, many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed travel guide. This, along with the other replies, will come in very handy....going to copy this thread and place it in the cubby hole in my pickup. All you folks have been very helpful in planning this move...MANY THANKS!! Sam, we'll definitely have to meet up for a few cold ones. Also, being the history buff I am, I do plan on seeing the many historical points of interest and learning about my new adopted state. It will be awesome to cast my vote knowing it will finally count. Take care.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    You asked about hunting and fishing, I believe. You got a number of responses on the hunting part, but not so much about fishing. SA is only a few hours from the Gulf Coast, and places like Port Aransas, Port O'Connor and even Corpus Christi offer some nice places to fish.

There's also Padre Island, which you can drive, as well as the Laguna Madra.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/conservation/txgems/lagmadr/

In other words, there are a lot of inexpensive fishing opportunities within a reasonable distance of SA.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't fish, but almost everyone else in east Texas bass fishes - quite a few good places, starting a few hours north of SA.
    Texas has its shortcomings to be true. But overall, it's pretty nice. No state income tax works. Reasonable gun laws also. Having an actual NRA member and pro-gun governor is keen, even if he's sometimes a dunderhead, at least he's OUR dunderhead! Ha ha

And San Antonio is genuinely one of the nicest areas in the state to live, decent climate, plenty of recreation nearby, and a friendly & okay city, too.