Home Main Category Personal Defense

Demonstration of lack of situational awareness

MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior MemberPosts: 819 Senior Member
A woman is shopping in a grocery store with her 2 children, 2 and 12 years old. While she's picking out her steaks, a man picks her 2 year old up out of the buggy and holds her hostage.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/22734816/man-fatally-shot-after-snatching-girl-from-walmart-cart

If you time it, there's about 8 seconds between the time the guy picks up the little girl, and the time the mother realizes something's wrong. And she only knows then because the guy taps her on the shoulder and hands her his phone, to call a police officer he knows.

THIS is why knowing what's going on around you is so important.
It ended as well as it could, with the guy getting a .40 S&W round to the head point-blank, but it really NEVER should have gotten that far in the first place.

Replies

• BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Mississippi...........you got kids?

Do you grocery shop with them?
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,287 Senior Member
    It ended as well as it could,

It ended EXACTLY as it should have....next step, cram him in a hefty bag as set him out with the rest of the trash....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    So its the Mom's fault? Come on. Freaking physco's can show up anywhere and at any time, just when you least expect it as shown here.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Bakerman wrote: »
    Mississippi...........you got kids?

Do you grocery shop with them?

Yes and yes. And if you're going where I think you're going with this, there's NO WAY it would ever take me 8 seconds to notice one of them had been picked up by a stranger.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Yes and yes. And if you're going where I think you're going with this, there's NO WAY it would ever take me 8 seconds to notice one of them had been picked up by a stranger.

Totally understand the point, but when I raised 2 boys (my wife's boys) it is possible for something to happen in a flash. You are correct that parents need to be always aware but people are human and our attention can wander occasionally, part of life.

The woman might have been murdered herself had she tried to resist the psycho anyway. As was said, it ended exactly as it should have.

btw, I saw a similar SWAT take-down here in Houston a few years back, watched the uncut tape via a LEO pal. Guy had a clerk hostage at a convenience store, holding a gun to her head, he was standing behind her, yelling stuff and cursing and threatening. Eventually the sniper was greenlighted, the guy's gun wavered a little, moving away from the hostage's neck, and the guy yelled "You can't shoot me! You try it and I'll---" but the sentence was never finished.

No, I can't blame the mother at all. A teeny lapse of attention, very human.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    THIS is why knowing what's going on around you is so important.

This can't be helped. I don't care how observant you are.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    In this situation I honestly feel really bad for the LEO, He had no choice, i'm glad he did what he had to but I certainly don't envy him. The suspect made the choice for him and now he has to live with that for the rest of his life...my prayers are with the officer and his family first and the suspects family second...Mental illness is out of control in this country...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,287 Senior Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    Mental illness is out of control in this country...

This is the end result of "mainstreaming" folks who, 40 years, ago would have been institutionalized....Today, the concept of "he's just fine when he's on his meds" is the rule...the only problem with that is that society reaps the results of what happens when "he" goes off his meds because he can't afford them or just decides not to take them
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,642 Senior Member
    When I first heard this on the local news, my first thought was "Suicide by police"

It struck me as perp's only intent was getting himself killed because he was too big a coward to do it himself. If I'm right, he got his wish.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,555 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    This is the end result of "mainstreaming" folks who, 40 years, ago would have been institutionalized....Today, the concept of "he's just fine when he's on his meds" is the rule...the only problem with that is that society reaps the results of what happens when "he" goes off his meds because he can't afford them or just decides not to take them
    State mental facilities are some of the first to be cut during a budget crisis. Guess what happens when you shut down the mental facilities?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    While I agree that one should be aware of their surroundings there is also a fine line between staying alert and overly worrying that something bad is gonna happen anywhere anytime. Most people, including me, go about their daily lives planning what's going to be for dinner tonight, did I send in the utility payment, next weekends fishing trip....and then CRUNCH!!!!...crap, I just rear ended the person ahead of me!

Me? I'd just rather enjoy life and if something bad happens along the way....well, that's life. I just hope I'm paying attention if and when it comes my way. Now where did I put my dang car keys?
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Ok, maybe I was a little harsh on the mother. It's just the first thing I noticed was how long it took for her to realize that anything was wrong, and only then because the guy taps her on the shoulder. 8 seconds, to me, is way too long.
    All that aside, I agree with knitepoet. He wanted to die, and he forced the police to do it for him. I just hope that little girl remembers nothing about this later. The mom and older daughter most certainly will, but there's a chance the little one won't.